Touring: The Peak District, Lincoln and York

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st4

Banned
Car
C220cdi tourer
Well folks, I've gone and done it again. It was a friends and forum members Birthday on Friday and they had their bash in Damons in Lincoln on Friday night, so I thought I'd make a long weekend of it all.

The Ladybower Inn was such a success from the MBC Yorkshire meet, that I felt almost duty bound to go back there, its a stunning place and the food and accomodation are top drawer.

Anyway, as I was driving up the Snake Pass from Glossop

DSC_0436 by [email protected], on Flickr

I was revelling in the skips handling, natural poise and agility spring to mind and with the cloth seats, was held firmly in place as I swung her from apex to apex.

However, at the top, I was greeted by our very own corned, who just so happened to be going to Ladybower too...LOL!!! Trapperjohn and his wife, Liz, were due to meet us at 3pm and then more forum heros meet for dinner.

I digress. I met Corned at the top of the pass nr the Penine way, this looks a fun place for a walk and I will revisit here and do a proper treck. For those interested there are old aircraft that were shot down in the war up here, and it would be well worth going to find them. Its also supposed to be a good walk, and the views are very panoramic.

DSC_0404 by [email protected], on Flickr

Corned has an excellent knowledge of the area, and I am very grateful to him for recommending places to see and organising a mini tour for the day, of which later.

We convoyed along the A57 and came off and headed for the Derwent valley resevoirs, later on, I would revisit this the next day but to give you a flavour of why this is a good place to visit

DSC_0407 by [email protected], on Flickr

We met John and Liz at 3pm and we enjoyed some tea, some good company and chat and piled into the skip.

The first stop was Ladybower, all of 2mins drive away...

Sadly it wasn't draining, but aren't these drain holes creepy

DSC_0434 by [email protected], on Flickr

We obtained some stones and lobbed them down, John, being more mathematically inclined than me, worked out from the sound of the stone dropping and hitting the ledges, its a 360ft drop. I would be right this, its a very big resevoir and when you see pictures of it being contrustructed and the images of it being flooded with churches underneath, your twig the scale of it all.

We headed up the Wynatts pass and spied this view looking down the Hope valley

DSC_0438 by [email protected], on Flickr

Again, it has an openness and fantastic feeling of being in the wilderness and wild open space, that the Penine way view has. Its wonderful. There used to be two roads up, but one has fallen into a state of disrepair sadly. For those who had more time than me, there are several mines etc that would be worth visiting. I will, when I return for a few days.

This image ought to cover off the broken road

DSC_0441 by [email protected], on Flickr

Afterwards we cruised back to Ladybower and ate with Dieselman and Johnsco and his wife. The dinner was superb and good to get a proper crowd of us out for dinner. Thanks for coming and making a fun evening.

The next AM I arose early, determined to make the most of the morning light as the forecast as a little iffy. I was up by 630 and had 90mins to kill before the onslaught of the Ladybower breakfast, again, something this place does extremely well....

As you can see the resevoir/man made lake is rather lovelu

DSC_0444 by [email protected], on Flickr

And that my car really enjoys a morning B road attack run. These are great fun roads...

DSC_0452 by [email protected], on Flickr

it takes the road really well, is tight, controlled and accurate whilst still being comfortable. The 5g box and paddle shift work well and allowing a decent span of speed in 3rd gear. She came alive up in the Peak District...

She likes Mam Tor

DSC_0454 by [email protected], on Flickr

As do I

DSC_0455 by [email protected], on Flickr

Anyway, back here

DSC_0464 by [email protected], on Flickr

The mother of all breakfasts was consumed, and I sat outside for a little after, let the food settle, take in the free WiFi and just enjoyed "being" there. They have ever so nice hanging baskets

DSC_0465 by [email protected], on Flickr

It was now time to revist the Derwent Valley....

Its really worth the while going

DSC_0474 by [email protected], on Flickr

DSC_0484 by [email protected], on Flickr

DSC_0485 by [email protected], on Flickr

The weather isn't the best, but nonetheless I decided to climb up and see if I could get a better view, and to work off that breakfast, as dinner was to be a feast....

DSC_0494 by [email protected], on Flickr

I meandered up there, and just lost myself in clean fresh air, stretched my legs and saw the world from up high, and a completely different setting to how I normally go and see stuff, from my car.

Anyway, back to the car and I saw this lovely scene as a small river, from the resevoir, runs down the Derwent valley.

DSC_0509 by [email protected], on Flickr

It was time to start heading to Lincoln, a light lunch of beef sandwiches meant I was fueled and the skip awaited.

Again, the roads around there are rather Jolly, but I had to stop and snap the car with the hand gliders above, this looks seriously good fun and I bet a marvellous way to see the area and will afford a panoramic view that I simply cannot offer.

DSC_0513 by [email protected], on Flickr

And its not like there is much for them to hit...

DSC_0457 by [email protected], on Flickr

I aimed the car along the A6 to Buxton, and leaving Buxton the road has some nice twists and turns, and again, being that bit more nimble than my old E class, it really came into her own and the views are really rather pleasant.

DSC_0461 by [email protected], on Flickr

Again, keeping to the A6 as time is getting slimmer, there was a final stop at Ashton on the Water....

Can you blame me.

DSC_0532 by [email protected], on Flickr

DSC_0517 by [email protected], on Flickr

DSC_0529 by [email protected], on Flickr

Actually, thats a lie, there as a stop at Black rock just after Matlock...

DSC_0536 by [email protected], on Flickr

What is interesting along here, is the Pathway follows an old railway line from our more industrial times. Here is an engine house that was used to haul things up the line

DSC_0538 by [email protected], on Flickr

A tribute to our past, and one we should be grateful for, despite the scarring on the landscape.

To cut a long story short the meal at Damons was superb, the ribs, fillet mignon and chat were top drawer.

I stayed up at Retford as I was due to meet another forum member to give them the manifolds for my old car. I was greeted with a marvellous fruit cake and bottle. Thank you very much splitpin.

Anyway, the cruise from Retford to York yeidled this

DSC_0542 by [email protected], on Flickr

I'd always untiul now, thought the cars efficiency was merely ok, if unremarkable. Thats not bad for a 65mph cruise up the A1(M) and A59 to York.

York itself, as many of you know, I love. I have an old friend that stays there and it was good to see him again.

I never tire of seeing Cliffords tower.

DSC_0543 by [email protected], on Flickr

York is a city that is blessed with history, culture and architecture. There is a museum called the Yorkshire museum that celebrates and chronicals the past of our country and Yorkshire and its worth seeing.

It tries to recreate living conditions and lifestyles of our people through the ages.

DSC_0546 by [email protected], on Flickr

DSC_0549 by [email protected], on Flickr

What I didn't expect to do was to run into developer215

DSC_0558 by [email protected], on Flickr

and for him to invite me to his workshop, most kind

DSC_0566 by [email protected], on Flickr

The weather in the city remained good, until later, so people were enjoying the bank holiday sunshine

DSC_0578 by [email protected], on Flickr

And when the weather god bad, we ate like kings

DSC_0579 by [email protected], on Flickr

Thankfully the weather died down, we walked round the minster and the city working off a hearty meal

DSC_0584 by [email protected], on Flickr

After food settled the skip delivered this

DSC_0592 by [email protected], on Flickr

Which is good as the weather was bad so more resistance from standing water, and most of it is uphill.

My C class provided superlative driving manners for the motorway, came alive on the backroads giving genuine driving fun and getting me to a remarkable part of the world.

Well done Mercedes.

Great shots there Steve, snakes pass - love having a blast through there! :D Those drain holes have always freaked me out and I've never actually seen them whilst they're draining.

Got a craving for a Nando's now!!

Dr-Nab said:
Great shots there Steve, snakes pass - love having a blast through there! :D Those drain holes have always freaked me out and I've never actually seen them whilst they're draining.

Got a craving for a Nando's now!!

The snake is great but shame about the other traffic...LOL

I've got someone to find out when they're draining as I'll drive down as its something I really want to see.

Nandos is great, wings and chicken platter. Try Damons in Lincoln, it's fab

Let me know when they are draining Steve. Might get the grandkids to throw a sickie at school too. Their educashun will be the better for it. A trip to The Blue John on the same day too.

Your MPG is now the right side of 40, just about always. :devil:

Great shots Steve and the car is looking great, the AMG Kit makes all the difference.

C43AMG said:
Great shots Steve and the car is looking great, the AMG Kit makes all the difference.

Agree mate, they look a bit "plain Jane" without and the suspension is good for this sort of driving and roads.

That brought back a few memories Steve.

Mam Tor - the shaking mountain, Wynatts pass - been up there a few times, The Ladybower Inn - Ians Yorkshire tour, Ashton on the Water - holidayed around that area a few times.

Many thanks.

BEJ said:
That brought back a few memories Steve.

Mam Tor - the shaking mountain, Wynatts pass - been up there a few times, The Ladybower Inn - Ians Yorkshire tour, Ashton on the Water - holidayed around that area a few times.

Many thanks.

It's a great part of the world, I suspect I'll do my annual holiday/camping trip that way.

you seem to be on holiday more than being at work!

6 weeks a year working and the rest touring is more like it!!

Snake pass, A57, Mam Tor - that brings it all back. I used to live in Sheffield, and would often drive around that area and go walking there too. Beautiful countryside. Nearly got stuck on the Snake pass in the snow one winter (in my old mini countryman, if people can remember that far back). Didn't meet anither car, heavy snow, quite hairy - and found out the next day that they'd closed the road almost immediately after I'd got started. On another occasion, same car, found out what 'brake fade' really meant while driving too fast down steep hills. No damage, luckily.

Looks like you had a good time - can recommend the area as a nice place to visit.

Orwic

sorry I missed you all, I wasn't paying attention, apint would have been nice. You were within 300m of our house on your tour. If only I had known I would have put the bunting out!

good photos, the one with the duck is 'ashford in the water'

finisterre said:
sorry I missed you all, I wasn't paying attention, apint would have been nice. You were within 300m of our house on your tour. If only I had known I would have put the bunting out!

good photos, the one with the duck is 'ashford in the water'

Sorry was gonna PM, you. Pm me your number as I get about the country a fair bit and will Bevin touch if in area.

Orwic, try the Hardknott pass, it's steep LOL

Orwic, try the Hardknott pass, it's steep LOL

Yes, done that one. Used to go camping / hillwalking in the area, in an old VW Variant (not that old at the time, though). Again a recommended place to visit, but suggest don't go camping in late autumn / winter, unless you want to freeze!

Should have said before - great photos - thanks for sharing.

Orwic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom