Touring: The Yorkshire YOMP and York

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Londonscottish said:
Hi Steve. Yet another great post and another great set of pictures.

You're not wrong about the drain in the reservoir looking very creepy......

Cheers :)

They're evil looking. Corned sent me on an image with the reservoir draining. You would not want to take a swim in there when that's happening. I'd be scared full stop of taking a dip in there full stop. Really creepy but great photograph subject matter.

The area is really superb and once we got to North Yorks it was awesome. One thought, 50mph speed limit on the snakes pass. Why, it's not that tricky a road and brilliant fun. Driving fast on it is amazing fun. The Bilstein set up brings it alive.

3420277.jpg

29612347.jpg

46920471.jpg

And at the other end of the scale:

23919811.jpg

Take your pic(k)!!!

Last edited:
corned said:
And at the other end of the scale:

Take your pic(k)!!!

I can't figure out what's worse, in full drain or empty. Did you take these? I wouldn't fancy being so close to rfe plug when it's draining like that

No, they're not mine. I found them attached to Google Earth, but they illustrate the point perfectly. I have seen them in overflow mode in the past. It's the noise which is actually the worst part, if you can believe that.

corned said:
No, they're not mine. I found them attached to Google Earth, but they illustrate the point perfectly. I have seen them in overflow mode in the past. It's the noise which is actually the worst part, if you can believe that.

I can. You're only feet away from them and the sheer quantity of water draining away would make a proper racket. I'm half tempted to drive down there when they are just to see it and get some shots.

Last edited:
I can. You're only feet away from them and the sheer quantity of water draining away would make a proper racket. I'm half tempted to drive down there when they are just to see it and get some shots.

Gimme a shout Ill meet you there.

When I was a nipper, my Dad stood me on the wall when the overflow was in full swing. It was terrifying.

Came down the snake in my truck a couple of weeks ago. A 20t tractor on super singles takes some wrestling, fun tho. You didn't go through strines, a bit bumpy but a good road too.

The 50 limit is to slow the bikes down, doesn't work tho Nudge nudge

Last edited:
Came down the snake in my truck a couple of weeks ago. A 20t tractor on super singles takes some wrestling, fun tho. You didn't go through strines, a bit bumpy but a good road too.

The 50 limit is to slow the bikes down, doesn't work tho Nudge nudge

trapperjohn will tell you what my prefered speed on that road is and it ain't 50:ban::ban::cool::cool:

trapperjohn will tell you what my prefered speed on that road is and it ain't 50:ban::ban::cool::cool:

A couple of years ago there was a landslide near the snake pass inn so the road was completely closed, but you could just squeeze past the slip on a bike :D oh how much fun that was, did 9 runs in one evening and was completely knackered at the end :bannana::D

A couple of years ago there was a landslide near the snake pass inn so the road was completely closed, but you could just squeeze past the slip on a bike :D oh how much fun that was, did 9 runs in one evening and was completely knackered at the end :bannana::D

We get a lot on the rest and be thankful pass up here, of which reminds me slightly of the snake pass, but the snake is twistier. Its a pain when its closed I bet.

Spied a Caterham up at the Ladybower Inn. I bet that would be epic along that road, epic.

In saying that, good roads will bring any car to life I bet

Driving down there wouldn't be too much of a problem but getting back out would be problematic - even in a 4WD which yours ain't. :D

Driving down there wouldn't be too much of a problem but getting back out would be problematic - even in a 4WD which yours ain't. :D

Dunno like. Everyone says winter tyres give so much grip it's really hard to crash. Reckon with winters on it would be a doddle....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom