Touring: York

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.

st4

Banned
Car
C220cdi tourer
Good afternoon fellow forum members,

As alluded to in other threads I've been away this weekend. One of my oldest friends lives in York so I undertook the pilgrimage to the county town of gods own county.

I also thought to take the oppertunity to post a thread thats nothing to do with Mercedes Benz cars as discussing those in a Mercedes forum is soooo 2010....and its time I got in the action ;)

York, bar my mate, has many exciting things to do and things to see.

It has a pub that is like other pubs in other towns that bare its name. This means it is quite cheap, usually has fit birds and the food is probably safe. However I wouldn't want to demean the fairer sex by taking a picture of them and posting this on the internet for misogynistic blokes to have a chug over. So I took a picture of a beef burger. It may well have horse meat in it, but the menu said beef so I'll be bold and say it was beef.

_DSC0042 by [email protected], on Flickr

I felt in a charitable mood so I paid to do the tour of York Minster. The weather was somewhat overcast and I might be racist here, but there is talk that people in Yorkshire don't like spending money, so I thought I would help a worthy cause (its lent) and give £28 to the Minster so I could get a guided tour of it with my mate. I understand mentioning lent may be construed as religion, so Karl can infract me for this. You are probably in as much shock as this bloke that I dared the mention Lent and beef/horse meat in the same sentence.

_DSC0060 by [email protected], on Flickr

Further walking and exploration of the Minster revealed many exciting things. Strangely this picture reminds me of a few of the people I have to give spiritual and moral guidance to on the internet. Can you guess why?

_DSC0076 by [email protected], on Flickr

As a consequence of this role I undertake on the internet, people even have the audacity to question the scriptures that they have signed up to but I have the book of guidance, and I read it to all of you and remind you what the good rule book says...

_DSC0080 by [email protected], on Flickr

Even Royalty and his humble servents adhere to its scriptures and message. No-one is above it. Not even him

_DSC0084 by [email protected], on Flickr

And what happens people ask if the rule book is broken, well this comes crashing down. It took a long time to put up, but in an instant in can crash down;)

_DSC0094 by [email protected], on Flickr

Even looking back into the house its clear to see why things have to be the way they are.

Isn't it wonderful. Its not so bad you know, the rules are not too hard, they are easy to follow and guidance is available at every turn.

_DSC0109 by [email protected], on Flickr

I found that spiritually very uplifting and very clarfying over a few things I have seen on the internet. Many parallels can be drawn between this visit and the internet which brings us all together to read this on a Sunday;)

The second part of this thread is transport related. York as I said has many exciting things, a place to eat, a place to focus ones thoughts and a place to see old things that move.

Its free too so people indigenous to the area can go and tourists from here don't feel that their Lent sacrifice was too much.

_DSC0118 by [email protected], on Flickr

Here is the Mallard train. IIRC this could crack 100mph. Not bad when cars could do about 30mph tops. The train has not evolved as much as the car, but I don't wish to dwell on that, as discussing cars in a car forum is very old hat and boring.

_DSC0121 by [email protected], on Flickr

Clearly oil was not in short supply back then. As we have discussed on here many times oil is a wicked thing that we burn killing lots of animals in far flung parts of the world. I shed a tear taking this as I thought some poor sea bed and ecosystem gave its life for this.

_DSC0123 by [email protected], on Flickr
Some of our members are engineers and are therefore above reproach and folly. Engineers like knowing how things work. Here is a train dissected for their entertainment. Is dissected the right word, or is that purely a biological term, I'd hate to get the finer point of English wrong. Someone will be along to correct me in my folly?

_DSC0126 by [email protected], on Flickr

Finally you can see something that hails from Japan. The Japanese like things that go very fast, like Nissan GTRs and bullet trains. Sorry, I mentioned a car, very bad of me.

Anyway, as we no speed is evil and dangerous as our radio tells us this everyday. Thankfully, due to something called a brake, it can be stopped, and in a Museum be frozen in time....

_DSC0132 by [email protected], on Flickr

As for the car that took me here, I wouldn't want to bore you with the details;):cool:

Another great road trip Steve :)

Love the Museum and Yorkminster pics, we used to visit their often when we lived in South Yorkshire. Loved the lanes loved the real food pub's loved the wall's for wandering from pub to pub along :)

I love the York hogroast sandwich place, but it was too cold and wet to get one and walk around with it. Some of the shops are ace, you can get proper nice fudge etc.

Saw the Mallard just once as it steamed through Penwortham. Incredible sight.

Saw the Mallard just once as it steamed through Penwortham. Incredible sight.

Dad was telling me am A4 went through in the last couple of weeks... he heard the chime whistle. Assume it was Union of South Africa... that seems to be doing a fair few tours these days..

The latest trial bullet train according to bumph there hit 275mph. 6 or 7mph faster than a Bugatti supersports.

I saw footage of a train driver giving a commentary about his train route here in the UK, looked quite slow. Then you see footage from Japan and go ah, that's how to do it.

HS2 will run at 240mph from London to the North West... will be epic once it is open :)

HS2 will run at 240mph from London to the North West... will be epic once it is open :)

What is so good in the NW that you would need to get there at 240mph ?

HST only goes to Birmingham, that is still the south....

It's the middle, Rodney. Which is why it used to be the capital city, before being moved to London.

It's the middle, Rodney. Which is why it used to be the capital city, before being moved to London.

I think you'll find the centre point of the UK ( North to South and East to West) is Allendale in Northumberland.

Middle of England maybe. I never knew the capital bit.

I'm unsure, typed "when was Birmingham the captial of england" into a search engine.

Has Birmingham ever been the capital of England? ? kgb answers

I think you'll find the centre point of the UK ( North to South and East to West) is Allendale in Northumberland.

I thought it was Buxton Derbyshire?

To me, Carlisle is the south, its not that small an Island...LOL.

But York comes highly recommended as a day trip.:thumb::thumb:

York is ok, but is not car friendly... For a day out I prefer the peak district... It is like scotland but with less weather. :)

York is ok, but is not car friendly... For a day out I prefer the peak district... It is like scotland but with less weather. :)

Love the peak district too. And Wales. It's a jolly Island this you know.

I use the Rawcliffe Bar park and ride, £2.40 return rather than £10 parking in the town.

Middle of England maybe. I never knew the capital bit.

I'm unsure, typed "when was Birmingham the captial of england" into a search engine.

Has Birmingham ever been the capital of England? ? kgb answers

I thought it was Buxton Derbyshire?

To me, Carlisle is the south, its not that small an Island...LOL.

But York comes highly recommended as a day trip.:thumb::thumb:

Apparently it's a bone if contention between N'Land, Yorks and Lancs. There's a place in Derbyshire that claims the title with a plaque but its not Buxton

I also like York as everything seems central and is within walking distance. Never forget walking done some narrow street turning at the end and seeing the magnificent Minster in front of me, funny how some images always stick in your mind

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom