Tourist Drivers in the Lake District - and probably other beauty spots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

itaintemeyouno

Car
E220 CDI Avantgarde
I am often in the Lake District, having a place centrally in the Ambleside area that I let out part of to holiday makers. I've only been driving three years and enjoy the freedom driving gives me.

What does take some of the enjoyment out of it is when I'm heading to Ullswater from the Windermere area on the A592 and find myself behind a tourist at the wheel. Yes, the scenery is dramatic - oooh, there's the Langdale Pikes to the left and oooh look to the right, there's High Street!

The roads are not the widest, so yes care should be taken, but some drivers really take the kendal mintcake. I had one this week while I was heading up to see a friend at Ullswater and I was stuck behind one of these. He was driving at 15mph and when cars were coming the other way, he stopped. This was in the 40mph area between Windermere and Troutbeck. As we entered Troutbeck, I was doing an indicated 19mph behind him, and he braked on seeing the 30mph sign :doh:

I'm quite patient, and this road is tricky to overtake on as there are quite a few bends on it, and not only that at 15mph he couldn't even keep the car within his side of the carriageway...

Sometimes you can see the passenger tell the driver to slow down so that they can take a photo. If you want to take photos, put your walking boots and walk!

40mph on the NSL sections I understand on the twisty bits, but often people drive on the NSL sections at 20mph or less.

Perhaps they were Americans ? Used not only to driving on the wrong side of the road , but to having much larger cars and more space to drive them in , as well as fewer bends .

Since tourism is perhaps the mainstay of the local economy , it is perhaps the price many locals have to pay for their lifestyles .

I have to say , I visited Bowness on Windermere a few years back , and although a little caution was required , had no great difficulty negotiating my W124 around those roads , up to Ambleside , the Honister slate mine and to Coniston water ... Lovely scenery , and we did stop where safe to take many photographs , without obstructing anyone , as well as numerous boat and walking trips .

Perhaps they were Americans ? Used not only to driving on the wrong side of the road , but to having much larger cars and more space to drive them in , as well as fewer bends .

Since tourism is perhaps the mainstay of the local economy , it is perhaps the price many locals have to pay for their lifestyles .

I have to say , I visited Bowness on Windermere a few years back , and although a little caution was required , had no great difficulty negotiating my W124 around those roads , up to Ambleside , the Honister slate mine and to Coniston water ... Lovely scenery , and we did stop where safe to take many photographs , without obstructing anyone , as well as numerous boat and walking trips .

I'm not long back from driving on the right hand side of the road in Italy for the first time (in a god awful Auris Hybrid estate, an 'upgrade' said Avis from the booked BMW 220). I passed some beautiful places in Tuscany but didn't annoy other drivers around me by driving too slowly...

Could it just be townies not used to narrow country roads?
I say this because around my way, they'll happily bomb along at 45mph in the built up sections (30mph limit) but when it comes to the hedged lanes with a NSL in force, they reduce their speed until they reach the next built up area and off they go again.
The country section of road are the same width but without pavements or lighting and they drive even slower at night.

Could it just be townies not used to narrow country roads?
I say this because around my way, they'll happily bomb along at 45mph in the built up sections (30mph limit) but when it comes to the hedged lanes with a NSL in force, they reduce their speed until they reach the next built up area and off they go again.
The country section of road are the same width but without pavements or lighting and they drive even slower at night.

Nah the fastest the driver got was 19mph +/- most was don at 10 - 15mph. After 5 miles they pulled in to a lay-by. Only because I gave them a brief flash of the lights. Quite a few cars behind me too...

I'm not long back from driving on the right hand side of the road in Italy for the first time (in a god awful Auris Hybrid estate, an 'upgrade' said Avis from the booked BMW 220). I passed some beautiful places in Tuscany but didn't annoy other drivers around me by driving too slowly...

Yes , Tuscany is lovely , and ( outside of Rome ) my experience of driving in Italy is that they are pretty laid back and easy going .

Nah the fastest the driver got was 19mph +/- most was don at 10 - 15mph. After 5 miles they pulled in to a lay-by. Only because I gave them a brief flash of the lights. Quite a few cars behind me too...

5 miles!?

You're a patient man.

I drive around Welsh villages alot for business. Getting stuck behind holiday makers this time if the year is common place.

What bugs me the most is the motorists that drive at 40 mph everywhere. They hold you up between villages and then up your bum in them when it's a 30 or even 20mph limit in some villages.

I travel all over the UK and Ireland for work. There are some parts of the country that I will try and avoid in the summer. Unfortunately I can't always manage this, so it's an early start to avoid the worst of it, then some good chillout music.

I am a regular day visitor to The Lakes and I know just what you mean. Almost as bad as being stuck behind a combine harvester and for much longer stretches. They just appear oblivious to the tail back behind them. The worrying thing to me is that they make some drivers impatient who then take risks in overtaking. Then it's wve betide any oncoming traffic! :eek:

In rural areas, the drivers that really annoy me are those on single track roads with passing places who sit right on my back bumper (and I don't drive especially slowly - simply what the road width and visibility will allow). Then when you meet a car coming the other way there's space only for one vehicle in the passing place, thus blocking the road both ways. The locals understand this and drive accordingly. From experience, the offender is usually driving a new/newish Range Rover.

:wallbash:

I Almost as bad as being stuck behind a combine harvester and for much longer stretches. :

Or a bunch of Cyclists on a narrow road 2-3 abreast ignoring you until you've had enough & pass them then they become vocal...:p

The lakes is close enough to me for a leisurely day out.
I avoid the windermere area at all costs, especially Ambleside.

Both gloriously beautiful ruined because of this. The traffic is unbearable, both car and foot traffic.

I agree, it can be a real nuisance. We've a place near Keswick and, after driving the 300 miles up from Suffolk, the last bit of the journey, along the A66, can be a real trial. Being a main A road, with lots of commercial traffic, it really is most ignorant of the people who trundle along at 40.

I am often in the Lake District, having a place centrally in the Ambleside area that I let out part of to holiday makers ...

Churlish to complain about the speed your own customers drive at. Isn't there a saying about gift horses and mouths? :devil:

when I went to the lakes in my previous SLK55, I hammered it over a few well known passes and along some very nice areas.

Some locals got annoyed and moaned on the internet.

You can't win can you:bannana:

I know what you mean tho, I drive to scotland regularly and they have the same issues. people who cannot make progress.

As said, if you want to take photos, stop and get out. Your photos will be better too.

Churlish to complain about the speed your own customers drive at. Isn't there a saying about gift horses and mouths? :devil:

Not really, and this was not one of my customers. I was in my place at the time and the only parking space for the property is given to the holiday maker (obviously) - it was not the tenant's car.

If a customer of yours is inconsiderate do you make no comment at all? How odd. Takes all sorts I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom