Tow bar fitted to a C220 estate amg line.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rpp999

Car
C220 est amg 4matic. LR Discovery. BMW1200gs
Hi, just had a detachable tow bar and electrics fitted by Polar Automotive in Tonbridge. Very pleased with their work and all proper Mercedes coding done.

Good good. Not all AMG line cars can have tow bars fitted.

Yes I have.
JHS - will be really interested in seeing your setup. I hadn't thought it through when I bought our car and didn't realise about the towbar restriction (c220d pp AMG-line). But would love to fit a tow bar to enable me to pull my 12 for dinghy (v light) and occasionally fit a bike carrier on the tow bar.

So, can you pop some pictures up and share the spec etc of your set up when you're done?

Thanks, M

Good good. Not all AMG line cars can have tow bars fitted.
Mine is a C250 AMG Prem plus and is having a detachable fitted on Tuesday.Plus just adds upgraded audio as far as I am aware.
Maybe. Just so long as your car lists the combined weights on the sticker in the driver's door jamb then you're good to go.

Yes I will post up pics.
Never understood why a sun roof stops a towbar being fitted, especially as there is a sticker in the door aperture which gives max train weight. I have never seen any logical explanation.
Maybe the TUV in Germany have not approved the C Class AMG with Pan roof for towing? In which case it only applies to Germany.
I will be towing an Eriba Triton 430, max laden 1300kg.

Ah ok, I was led to believe the cars with the panoramic sun roofs had additional strengthening around the rear part of the chassis which in turn added more weight. When I was buying the car Mercedes stated it’s was not possible to fit one on those models and a couple of tow bar fitters also said the same.

Yes I will post up pics.
Never understood why a sun roof stops a towbar being fitted, especially as there is a sticker in the door aperture which gives max train weight. I have never seen any logical explanation.
Maybe the TUV in Germany have not approved the C Class AMG with Pan roof for towing? In which case it only applies to Germany.
I will be towing an Eriba Triton 430, max laden 1300kg.
If the VIN plate shows that a vehicle is homologated (or approved) to tow, then a towbar can be legally fitted and used. There are lots of guides on how to confirm the homologated towing weight, here’s one which is nice and clear:

Ah ok, I was led to believe the cars with the panoramic sun roofs had additional strengthening around the rear part of the chassis which in turn added more weight. When I was buying the car Mercedes stated it’s was not possible to fit one on those models and a couple of tow bar fitters also said the same.
Ok, I've just (finally!!) checked the table of numbers on the vin plate in the drivers door area.

20201031_093506.jpg

I have an s205 c220d AMG line premium plus with Pano roof etc.

This suggests to me that the car is rated for a maximum trailer weight of 1860kg (line 2 - line 1). Is that correct?

Many thanks, M

Ok, I've just (finally!!) checked the table of numbers on the vin plate in the drivers door area.

View attachment 104215

I have an s205 c220d AMG line premium plus with Pano roof etc.

This suggests to me that the car is rated for a maximum trailer weight of 1860kg (line 2 - line 1). Is that correct?

Many thanks, M
✅ Bingo!

I had a VW Sharan previously, and the sunroof option on that was blocked for 4Motion (4WD) models. I assumed this was to do with a slight reduction in overall body rigidity ... possibly something similar going on here.

As far as I know the lack of type approval for towing with some AMG line cars is lack of travel in the rear suspension. I was planning a euro road trip with a caravan when I discovered the issue with tow bar fitting and towing.

Don't forget to inform your insurance provider...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom