Tow bar programming

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CSteve220

Car
2017 C220d and 2019 VITO xlwb
Hi,

Has anyone programmed their own C Class w205 after fitting a tow bar? Can you get away without doing it for occasional trailer use or will that cause other problems? I’m wondering what I would need for programming etc., as I’ve never had a Merc before this 2017 new acquisition.

I have fitted a towbar and this weekend will sort out the dedicated electrics, so then it will be usable.

Very likely needs to be done by the dealer.

My older W211 was easily coded by me, newer cars are different and need done online, last E we did we just got the dealer to code it.

I fitted my own tow bar and dedicated electrics from PF Jones.

No need for coding and quite honestly this was the easiest tow bar and electrics I ever fitted.
I used to fit tow bars within a Main Dealer a few years back.

Reactions: 219
My CLS Shooting Brake

It tows my Coachman 520/4 every bit as good if not better than my previous Jaguar 3.0d XF. Although not this year as we’ve decided to err on the caution side.

Got held up in a mini traffic jam on the A77 today with loads of caravans and motor homes heading south for the weekend.

Reactions: 219
No need for coding and quite honestly this was the easiest tow bar and electrics I ever fitted.
My CLS Shooting Brake

I'd take a guess this is a C218 then?
Important to remember the official procedure "is" to code the dedicated electrics properly into the car.

I've no idea how this would affect any insurance claim further down the line if the vehicle and trailer were involved in an accident and it was found the vehicle hadn't been coded correctly for towing.

The last dedicated electrics we fitted "worked" out of the box but after speaking to techs. at the main dealer they should be coded so that the cars modules know when there is a trailer fitted and can act accordingly.
Of course the coding is a must for things like parking sensors and switching the vehicle lights off when a trailer is connected.

Just recently done an Audi A7 with Wesfalia kit and simply connecting the kit caused the Adaptive Cruise Control among other things to throw errors. Coding required to clear all errors.

So it may work out the box but still may not be done correctly as per the manufacturers specification.

I can assure you it works perfectly, as for insurance, cmon ! really.

I’ve added the “modification” ie tow bar fitted as I’ve always declared and it’s on the policy agreement.

I can assure you it works perfectly, as for insurance, cmon ! really.

Yes really. I think it's important to be honest and give (especially a new member) accurate information.

The information and instructions from PF Jones (Right Cinnections) and Westfalia say to code for many installs/models. It's in the instructions.

I'm now assuming you have fitted something else where there was no instruction to code?

What works for you may not be a "perfect" solution for others remember.

It’s what some people feel the need to do.

I did ask "exactly", I'm still not 100% what you mean.

From reading though I think you are "implying" I am scaremongering about ensuring insurance is 100% covered?

Gotta ask the question, if you use a tow bar fitter to fit the tow bar, they will always ask do you want dedicated wiring or not? If this is the case, I am sure the non dedicated wiring is fine and within insurance requirements. I have towed caravans for 40+ years and certainly on my last few tow bars I have had fitted I declined the additional £80 for dedicated wiring. What is dedicated wiring for towbars? - Towbar2U

Gotta ask the question, if you use a tow bar fitter to fit the tow bar, they will always ask do you want dedicated wiring or not? If this is the case, I am sure the non dedicated wiring is fine and within insurance requirements. I have towed caravans for 40+ years and certainly on my last few tow bars I have had fitted I declined the additional £80 for dedicated wiring. What is dedicated wiring for towbars? - Towbar2U

The answer is in the link you have linked to, things like switching the lights off on the vehicle (reverse/fog) and only running the towed vehicle lights.
Then there is the more advanced vehicle features such as ESP, ABS, parking sensors etc.

Can't remember exactly but recall there is something about the "tell tale" for lights being out on the trailer being a legal requirement?
A bypass system we fitted a few years ago had the buzzer for the turn signals so would let you know a turn bulb was out on the trailer.
The newer cars coded correctly tell you this in the dash.

I've a towbar fitted to the old W211 with the dedicated system, I don't have a caravan but I'd be sure if I was pulling a decent caravan in a decent modern with all the fancy ESP and ABS systems I'd spend the extra to make sure it was as recommended by the manufacturer.

The guy that owns the recent A7 we did was very much a cheap as chips bypass relay guy but decided he would go for a dedicated system.

The answer is in the link you have linked to, things like switching the lights off on the vehicle (reverse/fog) and only running the towed vehicle lights.
Then there is the more advanced vehicle features such as ESP, ABS, parking sensors etc.

Can't remember exactly but recall there is something about the "tell tale" for lights being out on the trailer being a legal requirement?
A bypass system we fitted a few years ago had the buzzer for the turn signals so would let you know a turn bulb was out on the trailer.
The newer cars coded correctly tell you this in the dash.

I've a towbar fitted to the old W211 with the dedicated system, I don't have a caravan but I'd be sure if I was pulling a decent caravan in a decent modern with all the fancy ESP and ABS systems I'd spend the extra to make sure it was as recommended by the manufacturer.

The guy that owns the recent A7 we did was very much a cheap as chips bypass relay guy but decided he would go for a dedicated system.
No, the answer is not in the link, the link was only inserted to show what dedicated electrics was. If you read the first line it does state "When you are getting a towbar fitted, you have two wiring options: universal or dedicated. Universal wiring has generally been the standard wiring method used when fitting towbars; this method is relatively simple and allows the functioning of the lights on your towed caravan/trailer. " It then goes on to say what the dedicated wiring is. If universal was not an acceptable wiring, I am sure companies would not be selling it or even advertising it.

No, the answer is not in the link, the link was only inserted to show what dedicated electrics was. If you read the first line it does state "When you are getting a towbar fitted, you have two wiring options: universal or dedicated. Universal wiring has generally been the standard wiring method used when fitting towbars; this method is relatively simple and allows the functioning of the lights on your towed caravan/trailer. " It then goes on to say what the dedicated wiring is. If universal was not an acceptable wiring, I am sure companies would not be selling it or even advertising it.

Sorry, must be getting mixed up.

The 2 questions in the post were:

Gotta ask the question, if you use a tow bar fitter to fit the tow bar, they will always ask do you want dedicated wiring or not?

That is up the the customer.

Answer in the link.
Simple cut and paste for reference. from the same link.

Beneficial features of dedicated wiring

The superior safety features gained/updated with dedicated wiring varies between makes and models of vehicles, but here are some of the possible benefits:

Trailer stability control: potentially the most important feature gained with dedicated wiring, this is a critical safety feature for maintaining the stability of your caravan/trailer, especially when driving round corners and at high speeds

Brake electronics: updated when towing for improved speed and efficiency

Suspension system: updates to account for extra weight of towed vehicle

Anti-lock braking system (ABS): also updates to account for the towed vehicle

Lighting: towing vehicle gains automatic reverse fog light cut off which prevents unnecessary glare off the towed vehicle; trailer light failure warning also gained

Parking aids: will be deactivated due to being ineffectual when towing

Cruise control (adaptive): updates to account for a trailer/caravan, for instance a larger braking distance between vehicles will be set

To say that companies would not advertise or sell if it is/was not legal is immaterial.
I know of companies that will tint your windows to whatever tint you want regardless of this being legal on the road or not.

There may be advantages to having dedicated electrics and having these coded correctly, there may not depending on the vehicle.

To point blank dismiss it is wrong, best to give the correct information and let others decide depending on their circumstances.

Take my W211:
No coding = no notification of trailer turn signal lamp failure.
Coding = indication on the dashboard that a lamp has failed.

Not saying this is the same for all but please let us not dismiss this (coding) as a waste of time.
Modern vehicles are becoming ever more complex.

pmcgsmurf "no idea how this would affect any insurance claim further down the line if the vehicle and trailer were involved in an accident and it was found the vehicle hadn't been coded correctly for towing."

Thought all the above regarding wiring was an insurance question :D

The OP hasn't been back, could it be

his trailer lights failed at night and not knowing he was pushed up the chuff by 40 tonnes of HGV?

He asked his insurance and they refused to continue his cover due to 'a' performance affecting modification?

He got confused by the response, that was challenged by a further response, that led to a discussion that concluded sweet fa aside from make your own mind up?

What was the question again?

The OP hasn't been back, could it be

What was the question again?
Am I on the correct forum?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom