Tow bar w211 estate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scorpio stu

Car
E230 Estate 1997
Anyone interested in a tow bar with single electrics. It's on my E320cdi estate and you'd have to remove it.
I'm based near woodford essex

Hi,
I have just removed the tow bar off of my old 2003 E320, so I am familiar with the P.I.A.T. job that it is.
Because my days of kneeling on the floor are gone, the first job was to get the back end up on ramps, aided and abetted by the fact that the car has Air Suspension, I was able to raise the car up enough to reverse up the ramps.
The rear bumper has to come off, there is one screw inside the rear wheel cover and two inside the inner panels there are another few in the back. Plenty of info on YouTube.
When the bumper comes off there is a small wiring harness to disconnect, which is for the parking sensors. This is to be found inside the rear inside panel left hand side looking forwards.
Now, on my car the tow bar replaced the rear aluminium strengthening bar that has two huge rubber mounts on it. I had to buy another one of these of of Ebay. I remembered to take my rear bar from home, in readiness for the removal, but not the rubber mounts.
I also needed Eight High Tensile M8 bolts to refit this part.
The actual tow bar was held on by eight M10 High Tensile bolts, which were more than very tight.
A three foot bar onto a T bar snapped several bolts, the others gradually undid. The battery impact gun would not shift them, although it is only a cheap one.
My electrics were simple, and wired by me so I knew what to undo.
If you have a proper ( very expensive ) aftermarket harness, it might need coding out, I do not know the answer to that.
I rested the bumper on a chair prior to refitting, the refit is definitely easier with two persons.
So a wee insight into getting the tow bar off. Sadly I did not take any pics. Best of luck.

Regards Steve.

Hi,
I have just removed the tow bar off of my old 2003 E320, so I am familiar with the P.I.A.T. job that it is.
Because my days of kneeling on the floor are gone, the first job was to get the back end up on ramps, aided and abetted by the fact that the car has Air Suspension, I was able to raise the car up enough to reverse up the ramps.
The rear bumper has to come off, there is one screw inside the rear wheel cover and two inside the inner panels there are another few in the back. Plenty of info on YouTube.
When the bumper comes off there is a small wiring harness to disconnect, which is for the parking sensors. This is to be found inside the rear inside panel left hand side looking forwards.
Now, on my car the tow bar replaced the rear aluminium strengthening bar that has two huge rubber mounts on it. I had to buy another one of these of of Ebay. I remembered to take my rear bar from home, in readiness for the removal, but not the rubber mounts.
I also needed Eight High Tensile M8 bolts to refit this part.
The actual tow bar was held on by eight M10 High Tensile bolts, which were more than very tight.
A three foot bar onto a T bar snapped several bolts, the others gradually undid. The battery impact gun would not shift them, although it is only a cheap one.
My electrics were simple, and wired by me so I knew what to undo.
If you have a proper ( very expensive ) aftermarket harness, it might need coding out, I do not know the answer to that.
I rested the bumper on a chair prior to refitting, the refit is definitely easier with two persons.
So a wee insight into getting the tow bar off. Sadly I did not take any pics. Best of luck.

Regards Steve.
Fantastic reply thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom