Tow bar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

griffin5

Car
1999 A140 Avantgarde 535 Virago 1989. Godden Jawa 897, 500 Jawa Laydown.
Any recommendations for supplier/cost etc? :)

moving to bodywork section

merc Tow Bar.

Hi Griffin 5.

I have been through the same 'pain barrier' as yourself. I would recommend the followinbg :-
I think BRINK detachable tow bars are the best in the business . I certianly wouldn't be ripped off by the Stealers.

Send an E Mail to [email protected] asking him for the correct part number for the tow bar to suite your model of Mercedes.

When you have this info. contact
Brink UK Ltd.
Unit 7
Centrovell Industrial Estate
Caldwell Rd.
Nuneaton
Warwickshire
CV11 4NG

tel 01203 352353
fax 01203 352024

The above E Mail for Donald Thompson might be at the same address. I'm not sure about this.

Brink Nuneaton will give you the name of a local fitter in your area. We are lucky down here near Leamington Spa as their agent comes out and fits the tow bar and electrics at your house at no extra price. Expect to pay just over £300 for the kit for an E series 320cdi (this was what I was quoted..
A permanent fitted towbar ( not detachable) would be cheaper I supose.
Hope this is helpful
Happy Christmas
Roy

As Roy has said, Brink are the best, I got a detachable one and fitted it myself , it cost £120 and took a morning to fit, the hardest part was removing the exhaust to fit it.

lookskyward1 said:
Given the age of your car, there is no point in paying top prices. If you are reasonably handy with a socket set etc, try Towsure. A few years ago I would have questioned their quality but they really are OK now.

They are showing a bar for your car at £51.95.
http://www.towsure.com/default.asp?d=29&t=5205&p=0&op=

Don't forget, you will still need the towbar electrics. http://www.towsure.com/default.asp?d=56&t=122&p=0&op=

Hope this helps :cool:
I have a tow bar on order from towsure. Where exactly should it be attached.
Is it to the bar exposed when the rear bumper is removed?

Griffin

I am going across to the west coast for a long weekend tomorrow, If you can wait till the middle of next week I might be able to help you fit it. Send me a personal message if you like. :)

Griffin 5, can't help you with specific fitting to your model, but can recommend Towsure. I have an aversion to anyone messing with my car... including Mercedes dealers - especially a particular Dublin dealer who trashed the interior. I have just fitted a Brinkmatic Mirage to my 04 w211 320CDI Estate (called a mirage cos its almost completely invisible with the swaneck removed - even the socket swings up behind the bumper when not in use). Brink Instructions were good, getting the bumper off is a bit tricky with its clips and hidden screws, but the towbar just bolts into place. If holes need to be drilled in your model, Towsure/Brink will supply the details. When it came to the electrics this was the bit that I didn't want anyone to mess with. Towsure provide a solid state 'smart' relay for the w211, which learns how the car switches its lights (actually this part is manufactured by Ryder towing which is where I saw it first - they supply to the industry and not retail, but they are still technically good and are willing to help out) rear fog light connection is interesting on the estate as you take the feed from the headlamp switch - accessed by the fuse box on RHS of dash board. I called Towsure technical when the Smartrelay got its knickers in a twist and they were really good... fixed it in 60 seconds flat - just needed to drop the main power, let it rest and reconnect. overall, top supplier and great price good product - what more can I say

I used the Ryder relay and found it to be easy to install. I took the fog and reverse light trips straight from the loom in the boot.

can't get to them in the new e estate as they run in the headlining and down the tailgate hinge, both fog and reverse are in the tailgate - didn't need reverse as only towing trailer & no second socket

lookskyward1 said:
Griffin

I am going across to the west coast for a long weekend tomorrow, If you can wait till the middle of next week I might be able to help you fit it. Send me a personal message if you like. :)

Thanks to everyone who offered help, the towbar is now fitted. At least one of the holes didn't line up and minor surgery was required.
Now it's time to get the wiring done anyone been here before?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom