Tow bar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pegit

Car
X5 40d
I want to have a tow bar fitted to My 2009 c63 estate but it doesn’t show the max braked or un braked towing capacity on the vehicle specifications plate, tow bars are available for this model but is it illegal to fit one and tow?

You need a maximum 'gross train weight' (car plus trailer) on the data plate - if this isn't present then yes it is illegal to fit a towbar (whether you actually tow anything with it or not). Unfortunately not many AMGs are type-approved for towing.

I read somewhere that the ML55 was the only AMG approved for towing, I doubt that is gospel but I know most BMW M cars can't have them so I wouldn't be surprised.

I'd love to see you tear a caravan in half with the torque from the C63 though :oops::cool:

Hi , easy way to check towing capacity is on V5C form from DVLA.Its the old log book replacement.

My C207/E400 has no towing capacity.

AMG line generally speaking have no type approval for towing. insufficient travel in the rear suspension.

Hi , easy way to check towing capacity is on V5C form from DVLA.Its the old log book replacement.

V5s can contain errors (they are just based on what someone types in when a vehicle is first registered), so shouldn't be taken as gospel. The Police and DVSA roadside enforcement will always go by the vehicle's data plate.

AMG line generally speaking have no type approval for towing. insufficient travel in the rear suspension.

More likely the cost to MB in putting models which a large majority of owners won't ever want to tow with through the type-approval process.

Thankfully my Gle63s can tow and it does it very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom