Towbar connections W203

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pipmk

Car
E350cdi Sport cabriolet
Bought a second hand tow bar, Mercedes/Oris make. It fits but I can't sort out the wiring. It has 4 connectors a turquoise one with a red/green wire,a black one with a red/ yellow wire a red one with 4 wires to it which are a. Blk/red trace b. Pink/redtrace c. Plain brown d. plain red. they don't seem to fit anywere on the canbus on the left hand wing in the boot. Anyone any ideas please?

If it is a genuine MB wiring harness (or a good copy), then the red/green wire should go to the rear SAM (F17), red/yellow to rear SAM (F18).

There is one for the rear SAM (connector 15) with pink/red, brown/red, brown and black/red wires, could this be your third connector.

Did I miss one of your four connectors? The OEM harness anyway should have:
- a separate ground wire,
- two connectors for the trailer recognition module,
- two fuse connectors and
- a can bus wire to the rear SAM.

Towbar connections W203

Many thanks for this,it is a genuine Mercedes bar ( and very substantial,think you could tow a tank on it, Merc/Oris overengineering). I'll take pictures and post them. Your description sounds right but the connectors don't seem to be the right type to fit on to the rear wing fuse box spare plug- ins at the bottom of the box,or have I not got the right place?
It was a lot easier in the old days before multi-plex wiring and bulb failure devices.
Some say coming down from the trees was our first mistake,others say it was coming out of the mud before that!
Jon

Do you have the part number of the wiring harness? Have you checked it is the correct one for your car?

You may well have put your finger on it,suspect the connectors are wrong. Wiring harness marked A 2035406208 dtd 19/02/02. My car is a 2007 vin no WDC2030082R243669. Dont think any mods alter how it functions but connections have changed,see pictures. Wherew can I get replacement connectors,or do you have any other ideas? Thanks very much
Jon merc 0055.jpg merc 0011.jpg

Attachments

• merc 0011.jpg
    merc 0011.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 190
  • merc 0055.jpg
    merc 0055.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 179
Can you please try your Samsung to make a better photo of your rear SAM. Preferably a shot directly from the front too.

mercnew 0021.jpg
mercnew 0051.jpg
mercnew 0041.jpg

Hope these help,the problem is reducing them down to size. Viewed better if you zoom out. Botton of can module has 4 connector blocks no.s 17 18 19 20 coloured purple black white and yellow. The connectors with red/green is for 17 and red/yellow for 18 but the connectors don't fit, design has altered. As to where the multi strand connector goes ,GOK? Am I right in assumption that its merely the connectors that have changed between 2002 model and later facelift?

Attachments

• mercnew 0021.jpg
    mercnew 0021.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 188
  • mercnew 0051.jpg
    mercnew 0051.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 172
  • mercnew 0041.jpg
    mercnew 0041.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 173
If you PM me your car VIN and the wiring harness part number (I cannot read it from the figure), I could check that the wiring harness is correct for your car.

Hi,vin WDC2030082R243669
wiring loom marked A2035406208
Jon

Odd, the wiring harness for this car should be A203 440 84 07.

When was the face lift for this car? The part you have seems to be up to 6/2005, I guess for a pre-face-lift?

Unfortunately the control unit seems to have changed too.

Edited: I now looked at the wiring differences. Looks like both options use the same "signals" from the rear SAM, CAN-B H/L, 15 and 54 (plus 30 and 31 on another connector). I wonder if experts would know if the CAN-bus messaging would be compatible if you just rerouted the wires from the old cable to your rear SAM. Perhaps new parts are not that expensive, if so, better to buy a new harness and control unit.

Last edited:
guess I'll have to buy a new socket harness and connectors to the can. Thanks for your help
Jon

same wiring problem...

Dear all,

I have the same problem with a second hand towbar:

When it was dismountle, the CAN plug was cut out and remain on the donor car.

My car has VIN no: WDB2030351A070887, saloon, after 06.2000 my.

The towbar is Brink and harness are Jaeger no 52041502.

The CAN plug must enter in a 3 socket conector in the SAM, no 15.

The colour of Jaeger CAN wirings are: Black, Blue/Black and Yellow.

Please advice about in which order I must fit into 15 SAM socket.

Thank you in advance,

Dan

Attachments

• Image0165.jpg
    Image0165.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 112
  • Image0162.jpg
    Image0162.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 112
See diagram,
one wire to position 15 on the back of the sam other two on front.

sTeVe

Attachments

• eclass wire.jpg
    eclass wire.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Thanks, but I don't have the 3 wires VT plug. I have only 3 wires - when it was removed, the CAN plug was cut out and remained on the donor car.
The problem is that I don't know the order I must fit that 3 wires into 15 SAM socket.

Thanks, but I don't have the 3 wires VT plug. I have only 3 wires - when it was removed, the CAN plug was cut out and remained on the donor car.
The problem is that I don't know the order I must fit that 3 wires into 15 SAM socket.

You need to get the correct shell also to plug into the hole in the SAM- you really really don't want wires shorting together there (or falling out).

Perhaps the original thread starter can read the part number of the shell, and the internal connector and which wires plug into which hole ?

Richard

You need to get the correct shell also to plug into the hole in the SAM- you really really don't want wires shorting together there (or falling out).

Perhaps the original thread starter can read the part number of the shell, and the internal connector and which wires plug into which hole ?

Richard

yes, I think that is the solution. I'm kindly ask a member with same car and Jaeger module to take a sugestive picture of VT plug conected in 15 SAM shell (which colour Black, Blue/Black and Yellow came from left to right in my above attached picture)
thank you, dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom