Towbar Dedicated Electrics W211 E220 2004 Recommendation & Coding ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pmcgsmurf

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E55 AMG W211, E250 Sport W212, (and some Imps)
Hi folks

Thinking of fitting a Westfalia detachable Towbar to my old W211 to use with a car transporter trailer to move some of the old classics (Hillman Imps) around.

I can get the universal electrics but I do like the idea of just using dedicated electrics if these are just plug in.

1. Anyone got any recommendations for dedicated electrics and a supplier?

2. Do these need coded (don't have reverse sensor or camera)?

I personally prefer dedicated electrics. Westfalia do you them for many models.

I would phone three or four fitters in your area to ask for prices and their recommendation on electrics, and go from their.

You could also contact Tamzin at Westfalia who is lovely and very knowledgeable. Search MBClub for a thread with ML63 W164 towbar in the title for her email address.Tell her MBClub sent you :thumb:

Thanks Bobby

Going to fit it myself but no point in me doing Dedicated Electrics if it needs coded to work as I've not got a Star System.

Hi,
Dedicated towbar electric harness is £150 - £200, (frightening amount) and just plugs into the rear SAM unit, but needs coding so the tow hitch does not interfere with the parking sensors.
Universal harness is cheap and easy to fit, (I did my own easily) and will interfere with the parking sensors unless you press the switch by the gear change to disable them. Obviously when the tow hitch is removed there is no interference.
I chose the cheap method !

Steve

Thanks for the input.

The Westfalia 7 pin kit comes in at just over £100 + vat which doesn't seem too bad.

I'll check tomorrow about coding for it.

I had a detachable tow bar and dedicated electrics fitted to my 2009 W211. Removed there is no visible evidence that the car has a tow bar, looks, well just like the back of every other W211...

Dedicated electrics are the way to go if you can. I had mine professionally fitted, when I collected the fitter demonstrated the bulb failure device by disabling some of the rear lights. Dash promptly lit up with corresponding trailer light failed messages. Also don't need warning buzzer/light to confirm trailer indicators are working because the car tells you if they aren't. Parking sensors automatically disabled when trailer connected. Understand it also alters some settings around gear changes and stability settings.

Current spec is for 13pin electrics caravans have had 13 pin sockets since 2008/09. If your trailer has the old 7 pin plugs you can get adapters, cheap, look on everybody's favourite on line auction site.

Come to think of it I think fitting a 13 pin socket would be a bit daft for the sake of saving a few quid.
We usually hire a trailer and use a 13~7 pin adapter for this when we use the mates Audi.

Next plan is to buy a decent twin axle car transporter as well to save on the hire cost, will need this in about a month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom