Towbar for E220 w213 advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Piotrnowax

Car
E220 w213 estate
Hello guys. Could you please kindly bring some light on aftermarket towbars. I want to buy caravan but need towbar for my 2017 estate e220. Would like detachable one. I am mechanicaly minded so could possibly install it myself but no coding. Whats best option is to go for ? Should i bother to install it myself or saving is not worth it and will i need codding ?
Thanks

Hello guys. Could you please kindly bring some light on aftermarket towbars. I want to buy caravan but need towbar for my 2017 estate e220. Would like detachable one. I am mechanicaly minded so could possibly install it myself but no coding. Whats best option is to go for ? Should i bother to install it myself or saving is not worth it and will i need codding ?
Thanks
I had a Tow-Trust removable towbar fitted to my car (C220CDi) complete with dedicated electrics which were coded to the car by the fitter. The cost can be between £600 - 800 and my advice would be to go along the same route because even if you fit it all yourself, coding will still be required at a cost of £150 by the dealer; an Indy would do it for less than that though. Needless to say, splicing into the existing wiring loom these days is a definite no-no!

For self-installation, a lot of the internal lining of the boot has to come out as well as the removal of the bumper and rear lights. The electrics have to be connected into the rear SAM Module. If you have an AMG Line, i.e. AMG trim, TT does a towbar that doesn't need a bumper cut. Both 7 and 11 pin electric kits are available.

Hope this helps, but if you go down the self-assembly route, TT give full instructions for both fitting and electrical.

Let us know how you get on.

Ernie

I had a Tow-Trust removable towbar fitted to my car (C220CDi) complete with dedicated electrics which were coded to the car by the fitter. The cost can be between £600 - 800 and my advice would be to go along the same route because even if you fit it all yourself, coding will still be required at a cost of £150 by the dealer; an Indy would do it for less than that though. Needless to say, splicing into the existing wiring loom these days is a definite no-no!

For self-installation, a lot of the internal lining of the boot has to come out as well as the removal of the bumper and rear lights. The electrics have to be connected into the rear SAM Module. If you have an AMG Line, i.e. AMG trim, TT does a towbar that doesn't need a bumper cut. Both 7 and 11 pin electric kits are available.

Hope this helps, but if you go down the self-assembly route, TT give full instructions for both fitting and electrical.

Let us know how you get on.

Ernie
Tow-trust webside seems not to have towbar for w213 estate.
If i can save 100 quid by doing it myself in 2 hours then i would definitely want to give it a go. But as you said coding is something i would require and would probably cost bit more if done separately.

I have a Witter detachable towbar in my W212 estate, which I am happy with. Would actually have preferred a Westfalia but couldn't get one delivered in time when I was getting it fitted. Have a look at the PF Jones website and you should see some for your car. I've bought from them before and they seem to provide a good service.
The mechanical side of fitting most towbars is usually straightforward enough, it's the electrical side of things which is trickier. Would definitely go for a dedicated wiring kit, but as you say, if you fit it yourself the cost of getting it coded might cancel out the saving in DIY. I got a local fitter to do mine, did the whole job. Wasn't cheap, IIRC around £700, but did a good job, and adjusted the kick sensor on the boot so that it still worked (sometimes 😊).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom