Tower of London poppies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Folks from our office are heading over to see them tomorrow and some others next week as we are only a 10/15 min walk away. I've bought 3 poppies for family members.

My Grandfathers name was read out at dusk (along with 179 others) on the 7th August 2014, in remembrance of their sacrifice. 180 poppies were also planted followed by an army bugler playing the last post. This happened every evening until the 11th November. I couldn't be there to witness it, but a member of the family who lives in London did. I've seen pictures of the poppies but not the same as being there.

Very humbling to be honest. I lost two great uncles in the first world war (obviously didn't know them) but to this day I remember the effect it had on my maternal grandmother.

My mother and father both served in the second one, still got their medals somewhere.

Not getting political, but looking round today it does make you wonder if it was worth the heartache. :(

My mother and father both served in the second one, still got their medals somewhere.

Any chance of posting up their story ? A married couple serving is quite something to hear about...

Any chance of posting up their story ? A married couple serving is quite something to hear about...

Separate regiments and unknown to each other at the time, didn't get together till after the war.

Father was a Sergeant in the Eighth Army (Desert Rats I believe) and Mother was a Corporal in the ATS, mainly in the caves under the South coast but in Antwerp for a while so I was told. Both gone now, so can't exactly ask them. :(

Ever noticed that the older generation never bother mentioning what they did in times like that? People now will try to tell you how good they were at doing whatever they have done, but to the previous generation(s) it was "just a job". ...Respect...

Just in awe at what they went through no words can repay them or there loved ones just wished as a country we do more for the survivors they should want for nothing only my opinion

Two ordered. One in remembrance of my Dad. Ex Jap PoW. And one for SWMBO's Grandfather, World War I Veteran.

But in essence we are remembering all who gave (including the folks back home) and some who gave the ultimate.

SWMBO went yesterday (No, she wasn't the one on telly laying a wreath). Came home and said she wanted one. Ordered last night, - thanks for the heads up with the site.

They have all been sold, but you can still make a donation to the worthwhile charities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom