Towing a Caravan or Trailer. The rules are changing.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
New rules for towing a caravan or trailer come into effect on the 19th of January 2013.

Your entitlement to tow a caravan or trailer will depend on the driving licence you hold.
The categories detailed on your driving licence will determine what you can tow.

LINK to full information and Highways Agency video below.

[YOUTUBE]Mx3F91eZgDE[/YOUTUBE]

Alternative link:

https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car/driving-licence-rules-and-what-you-can-tow

As far as I can see the change only affects new drivers being issued with licences from 19-Jan-2013.

There are certain restrictions which are applicable to those who have passed their test since 1997?

Car licences first obtained on or after 1 January 1997

Drivers who passed a car test on or after 1 January 1997 are required to pass an additional driving test in order to gain entitlement to category B+E (Car and Trailer combinations), and also for all larger vehicles.
In addition to the new driving tests, drivers of vehicles which fall within subcategories C1, C1+E, D1 and D1+E also have to meet higher medical standards.

Category B entitlement holders may still tow a trailer; however certain restrictions apply, please see the following link for further details.
Car licences held before 1 January 1997

Drivers who passed a car test before 1 January 1997 may retain their earlier existing entitlement to tow trailers, unless their licence has been restricted. This means they are generally entitled to drive a vehicle and trailer combination that falls within B+E entitlement and up to 8.25 tonnes MAM for holders of C1+E. They also have entitlement to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kgs MAM.
Drivers who hold subcategory C1+E - limited to 8.25 tonnes MAM - may apply for provisional entitlement to the new subcategory C1+E in order to take and pass the test which will increase their combined vehicle and trailer entitlement to 12 tonnes MAM.

It is not necessary to gain subcategory C1 entitlement first, but drivers have to meet higher medical standards and pass both the category C theory test and the subcategory C1+E practical test:

It affects you if you passed after 1997... I passed in 1998... I would need to take the test.

That's been the case for years!

This is the new bit
Licences issued from 19 January 2013

From 19 January 2013, drivers passing a category B (car and small vehicle) test can tow:
  • small trailers weighing no more than 750kg
  • trailers weighing more than 750kg, where the combined weight of the towing vehicle and the trailer isn’t more than 3,500kg

If you want to tow a trailer weighing more than 750kg, when the combined weight of the towing vehicle and trailer is more than 3,500kg, you’ll have to pass a further test and get B+E entitlement on your licence.

You’ll then be able to tow trailers up to 3,500kg.

Great advice from the towing association man...you can't reverse a small trailer.

Umm...ok...:rolleyes:

I'm an example of the perfect "caravaneer" ...

One who has a licence to tow one but doesn't

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom