Towing a Caravan with 2017 E Clas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paul3408

Hi All,

I have just had a towbar fitted for towing a Caravan, do any of you tow with a E class ? when i plug the van in it raises the suspension i hope it's supposed to do this, also the permanent live doesn't turn of when i switch the car off, so if I forget to unplug the van it will cause my car battery to go flat? is it supposed to be permanently live, one last thing the caravan is 7.7 ft wide what towing mirrors do you recommend

We do not know if you have a saloon or estate. The Estate has air suspension on the rear. When loading the caravan you need to have the tow hitch properly weighted so the vehicle and caravan ride level.
The permanent power from the electrics is permanent and is used to run the Fridge in the van and will run your battery down if the vehicle is turned off. The fridges are usually three way. Car/Gas or Mains. When parking in say a service station you can switch the fridge to gas while you are away. Switching it back to Car when you get going again.

Roger

We do not know if you have a saloon or estate. The Estate has air suspension on the rear. When loading the caravan you need to have the tow hitch properly weighted so the vehicle and caravan ride level.
The permanent power from the electrics is permanent and is used to run the Fridge in the van and will run your battery down if the vehicle is turned off. The fridges are usually three way. Car/Gas or Mains. When parking in say a service station you can switch the fridge to gas while you are away. Switching it back to Car when you get going again.

Roger
Use gas in a service station? Surely that involves a naked flame?

The permanent power from the electrics is permanent and is used to run the Fridge in the van and will run your battery down if the vehicle is turned off.

No ... the fridge supply (terminal 10) is ignition-controlled. The permanent live (terminal 9) is used to power the lights, pump, etc. in the caravan in an emergency (and also charges the caravan battery when the engine is running).

Use gas in a service station? Surely that involves a naked flame?

It does, and you wouldn't do it (the gas supply should be turned off). A fridge is insulated enough to keep things inside it cool for an hour or two with the engine off ... you wouldn't normally be parked in a service station for longer than that.

Sorry BTB500, I was assuming it was the 12s whereby the fridge is permanent when connected to the vehicle. The 13pin separates the fridge from the permanent. So as you say just runs the 12v systems in the van. I must be getting old;)
Also I was not saying use the gas in the petrol station but it is quite safe to use it in the parking areas as it is no difference to being on an caravan site. I admit I have never done that in all the years I have been caravanning as the fridge remains cold as long as it is not opened and have never had a problem.

Roger

Sorry BTB500, I was assuming it was the 12s whereby the fridge is permanent when connected to the vehicle. The 13pin separates the fridge from the permanent.

12S had the same though?! Terminal 4 was permanently live for battery charging plus lights etc., and terminal 6 was ignition-switched to power the fridge only when the engine was running.

I am having a bad day :(

Roger

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom