Towing a Caravan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dmarley

Car
1999 c230k auto Red
Might seem like a bit of a strange question but does anyone on the forum use there Mercedes to tow a caravan.

I have been given a 17ft caravan for free, its in pretty good condition so have decided to make use of it. Just wondered how good the merc was at pulling etc, i know you need to know the weight but have not had chance to look at my manuals etc....

any replies much appricated

P.s my car is a c class 230k auto

thanks

dave

Hi, I've used my e-class E220 CDI estate to tow my caravan which is a 23 ft twin axle, and 1575kg fully laden. The towing capacity of my car is 2100kg, the towing capacity of yours should be in the hand book. My car can tow this van ok, but... the engine is working hard the whole time especially up inclines on the motorway etc. So the temperature goes up a little and fuel economy drops from 45 to 25 mpg. Your 230k (I used to have one) has more power than my 220CDI but may well struggle a bit with torque as you don't want to be running at 4000 revs to get maximum power. For me the van also pulled the car around quite alot and I got the feeling I wasn't doing the car any favours and working it harder than you would want to. You would definitely want to have some form of stabiliser fitted.

If yours is a sport or avantgarde you may find that the height can cause a couple of scrapes on driveways etc as I often get a graze on the tow bar. Also the caravan sits low on the tow hook and this puts the back up in the air a little.

I've just bought and old 4 x 4 for towing the van... The main reason is I got stuck in a field and the car was stuck even with the van unhitched. You would need to be careful on wet campsite fields etc. The 4x4 is higher and can see straight through the caravan giving better rear view and doesn't need the mirror extensions.

Great thanks for the information. I have had a look in my cars handbooks and cant actually find what i think i should be looking for.

I have found the below information on a web site for a c 200k ( 2002 ). I would imagine my car is heavier as the engine is bigger : -

Kerb Weight KG 1490
85% Weight KG 1266

I thought it was 85% of your weight of your car was what you could tow ?. I do know the caravan is only 17ft, so would imagine its a less heavier than what your towing.

It sounds like my car will be fine, but just have to take it easy and get ready for the change in driving experience.

End of the day, i have got the caravan for free, so i might as well have some extra weekends away with the family on top of the usual abroad holiday

thanks again for your help

dave

I started towing a caravan last year with our ML. Towed like a dream, but the ML is a heavy car, and we have an Al-Ko stabiliser which are very highly regarded, so we had a good start. The only time I knew it was attached was when were climbing the hill at the end of the M5 heading towards Torquay - but you'd feel that in the AMG without the caravan!!

If you're unsure about towing, you might want to check how well your car is matched to your caravan - collectively known as an "outfit" (!!) in caravanners terminology. The Caravan Club can tell you weights and match/suitability if you tell them the model(s). You can find more information here:

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/Practical+Help/UK+Technical+Advice+and+Info/Outfit+Matching/

The heavier your car and the lighter your caravan the better if you're a beginner. Worth getting a nose-weight gauge too, to help you load it correctly. Nothing heavy at the rear!!

Caravan Club website is well worth a visit.

Most of all, enjoy it!! Our friends took the mickey saying we're old before our time (we're both 29), but they don't know what they're missing!!

Sadly we saw no hot swinging action on our travels, but who knows in 2006!!?? I'm only joking about the swinging - a quick disclaimer in case Mrs Dazzler stops by and reads this!!

Edit: Here's our "Outfit" - get me, proper caravanner and everything!!

MLCaravanWeb.jpg

Here's an outfit we saw on our travels. Incredible!!

TinyCarCaravan.jpg

Last edited:
I am like you, am only 33 and the wife 30, with our 3 yr old, and soon to adopt a 5yr old. We still intend to have our posh 2 weeks in some 5 star hotel once a year. However i want to start getting away more for nice weekends away etc. As i have said, i have been given this caravan off a mate - and considering the caravan is worth 3k - i aint going to say no. he has split with his missis and says it reminds him of her.

Thanks for the link, will have a look. Just hope i dont end up like national lampoons !!!!!!

Your C230 should have no problem towing your 17ft caravan, as a rule of thumb, 17ft would equate to approx 17cwt, but have a look on your plate on the van. The 85% bit is only a guide, very useful though it is. Don't get carried away with BHP when towing, its torque that will provide the towing power, that why diesels are so good, they develope their torque at low revs compared to a petrol car.

Like you, I also like the luxury holiday, and treat the caravan holiday as a complete brain shut down, although my wife says there is not too much activity there anyway :D :D Have a great time in your van, look at the Caravan Club and the Caravan & Camping Club sites. If you want lots of entertainment then ignore the last sentence, they are relatively quiet but ideal for kids. :bannana:

I've resisted the temptation to fit a towbar to my SL :eek: ... I stick to the VW (which has 4WD - I got stuck in muddy fields too often with a normal MPV).

AtSupadogs.jpg

Stick to the 85% guideline if you can, the weight of your 'van will be on a plate near the door or sometimes on the A frame at the front.

Have fun!

I know nothing about the subject, but
dmarley said:
I would imagine my car is heavier as the engine is bigger...
Surely a larger capacity engine from the same series is lighter due to it having less engine and more hole? :) Isn't that what the capacity is a measure of? :)

More likely all engines from the same series will be about the same weight.

Shude said:
Surely a larger capacity engine from the same series is lighter due to it having less engine and more hole? :) Isn't that what the capacity is a measure of? :)

Only if the block is the same size?

Not sure why I've wandered in to a caravan discussion - sorry - I'll be off now!

996jimbo said:
Only if the block is the same size?
That's what I mean, C200 and C230 engines will weigh the same probably, the addition of superchargers etc will obviously increase the overall weight :)
996jimbo said:
Not sure why I've wandered in to a caravan discussion - sorry - I'll be off now!
You ain't seen me and I ain't seen you, right? ;)

HELLO SHUDE HELLO SHUDE ......don't forget your nose weight as well ....mine is 75kg on a e300 td with 76% on outfit....happy caravaning....the amazeing thing is last time we where out every other car on site was a MB 124s 210s etc ........this lot get a bit narky about caravans seam to cramp there style ;) ;) ;)

Hi, I was wondering if any one can help. I am thinking of getting a caravan, and own an E Class 250 Estate. I need a 6 berth caravan, but didn't know what the maximum weight I could tow was, or how well the 250 could tow. Your help would be much appreciated!

Check the handbook first - 85% to 100% of the car's kerbweight (depending on how experienced you are), or the car's "braked trailer limit" if that is lower.

Depending on when you took your driving test and/or the categories on your licence you may have further restrictions which apply:

https://www.gov.uk/towing-rules

Hi james. Your best checking out the caravan club website which has an outfit matching service.

I had an e320 cdi estate and towed a 6 berth twin axel but it was on the boarder line weight limit and when we had a motor mover fitted I ended up trading in for a 4x4 mitsubishi shogun.

Scott

I have an e220 estate, it can tow up to 2100kg, no issues.

I have a 6 berth caravan rated at 1600kg and it tows very well, one of the best towcars I have had.

You don't need a big 4x4 to tow, yes they are nice, but the E class is very capable. Stick to a single axle under around 1500-1600 kg, plenty about at that weight and you'll be fine.

85% is recommended, but 100% is fine.

Hi, If you have already got a tow bar fitted you haven't got anything to lose, take it easy and get the feel of it all together. Caravans are usually quite light compared to most trailers so you shouldn't have any problems.
My advice,
I would recommend a stabilizer of some sort
Keep some power in reserve, If you get a wiggle on you will want to give it some to straighten up (don't touch the brakes)

If you decide to buy a 'tow car' Torque is king, power is no good if you cant get the thing to rev high enough to make it.
As long a wheelbase and as wide a track as possible for stability.
A big heavy vehicle will get bullied around by a trailer a lot less (more of a problem when towing 2 or 3 axle trailers really though)

With a modern set up you won't get an uncontrollable wiggle.

Most vans after about 1995 or so have the stabiliser built into the hitch (Alko or similar) and provided you are sensible and it is loaded correctly, you'l be fine.

Accelerating to calm the unit down is a bad idea. You just ease off and let it settle down, but do not brake........ worst thing you can do!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom