Towing a W123 automatic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sceh

Car
w123 240TD
I don't seem to be able to get a definitive answer to the question of whether I can tow my W123 automatic. With the engine running, apparently yes but without?
If so, what speed or distance limits?
thanks

As per the handbook , up to twenty miles at up to 20mph .

If you need to go further/faster , disconnect the propshaft and tie it up at the gearbox end .

If you need to go further/faster , disconnect the propshaft and tie it up at the gearbox end.

Diff end surely?
Disconnect at diff (prop immobilised from turning), tie up at diff end as now unrestrained - yes?
Or remove completely.

If one of the above presents no difficulty, I'd view it as preferable to risking the auto box for 20 miles at 20mph. If no harm was possible - why the 20 mile restriction?

I thought that many MB auto boxes had the pump at the back of the box, driven by the output shaft, so that oil circulates when the wheels are turning.

Not sure about W123s or even my 124.

Any input, anyone?

RayH

I thought that many MB auto boxes had the pump at the back of the box, driven by the output shaft, so that oil circulates when the wheels are turning.

Not sure about W123s or even my 124.

Any input, anyone?

RayH

Primary pump is always driven from the crank. Pump at the rear of the box AFAIK is for 'control' purposes. If I'm wrong, I will no doubt be (usefully) corrected.

My box is the 722117 and the pump is at the front just after the torque converter

Without the engine running, prop disconnected at rear axle, Lands end to John o' Groats no problem.

You can't tow a Mercedes Benz automatic for more than a very short distance in neutral with the back wheels on the ground because the pump is not running. Either trailer it on all four wheels or disconnect the driveshaft at the diff.

Last edited:
Curiously, my original owners handbook makes no mention of towing at all

Without the engine running, prop disconnected at rear axle, Lands end to John o' Groats no problem.
Not if you have to go on a motorway LoL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom