Towing capacity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frodes

Car
'92 S124 300TD Turbo |--| '04 E240T 4matic |--| '86 300E
Hello.
I am buying some cars, trailers and other stuff in the UK, and I wonder how you deal with towing capacities on cars.

I know all Mercedes S124 (estates) are approved for 2100 kg from Mercedes. In Norway, the number set by the factory is the one we use. This is the same way in most of Europe as well. This means mine can tow 2100 kg as long as the driver has the correct drivers license for it.

I have some times asked for towing capacities on UK cars, but sellers tend to tell me the cars weight and the maximum weight.

Do the cars have a set maximum towing capacity in its documents, or is it donw otherwise?

Can someone please explain how this works in the UK?

Thank you.

Does this mean that as long as I buy a S124 (124 estate), I can legally tow 2100 kg?

There is something about a date in 1998. The cars I look for are older that that. Can I tow 2100 kg if the coupling it self does not state otherwise?

Is it true that there exist a 40 mph speed limit when the trailers weight is higher than the car?

I have bought a 1,3 ton mini digger, and will also buy a small plant trailer. I suppose the total weight of trailer + digger will be somewhere in between 1800-2000 kg.

I know from having towed all kinds of trailers with my '92 300TD Turbo, that the 124s are exelent for towing.

i tow a big caravan with my W124 E300D estate (non-turbo as its UK!)

tows fine, abliet a bit slow but its slow anyway!

the merc top limit as what you say however most people like to stick to 85% of the cars kerbweight.
and in the UK its recommended the caravan/trailer must not exceed the weight of the car itself. With my caravan fully laden i am about 95% - but we really wanted a bigger caravan and i dont want to drive anything but the 124!

however i think legal wise, yes you are safe to tow to 2100kg - but i'm not sure i would like it due to safety issues!!!

You also have to be aware of the noseweight and the max your towbar can take.

also be aware a UK spec 300TD 124 wont have a turbo!!

Last edited:
i tow a big caravan with my W124 E300D estate (non-turbo as its UK!)
Maximum with of 2,3 meters, is that right? 2,5 meters is OK here I know.
the merc top limit as what you say however most people like to stick to 85% of the cars kerbweight.
Kerbweight is the weight of the car it self? 1590 on the E320 I am hoping to buy.
and in the UK its recommended the caravan/trailer must not exceed the weight of the car itself. With my caravan fully laden i am about 95% - but we really wanted a bigger caravan and i dont want to drive anything but the 124!
This recommendation is just a recommondation, right?
however i think legal wise, yes you are safe to tow to 2100kg - but i'm not sure i would like it due to safety issues!!!
I have done some stupid towing with my car, most to push it limits and find out how well it does handle with a well built, well maintained trailer. I can't say I am proud of it, but I have done nearly 80 mph with 2,7 tons on a big car trailer over a very short distance. The car and the trailer performed just superb, better than any nissan patrol or toyota landcruiser I have used for towing. I have no problems with the idea of driving nice and slow towing 2,0 tons with the same kind of car. My consern is wether it is legal.
You also have to be aware of the noseweight and the max your towbar can take.
I know. Usually 75-100 kg.
also be aware a UK spec 300TD 124 wont have a turbo!!
And also very expencive for some reason. The E280s and E320s sell mouch cheaper.
I think MB didn't deliver the turbo versions on cars with the steering wheel on the right (/wrong :) ) side because of the steering servo.

yes i believe you are OK legal-wise to tow to whatever the manufacturer has said is the limit, eitehr in the handbook but better stamped on the car somewhere. the "85% rule" is simply a recommendation. The "max" numbers on the car and caravan are the important things as this is what the cops would use if they pulled you over

i think a low trailer that is over 100% would be ok as it wouldnt catch the wind etc so much.

As i said my E300D estate tows superbly. The self levelling suspension helps i suppose and it appeared very stable. I imaging a E320 petrol to be about the same stability-wise, but maybe a little more tougher up the hills. Does bring the MPG down A LOT for me anyway!!

i copied this from a caravan forum i am on:

Maximum sizes for towing

Towing vehicle under 3500kg GVW

Length (excluding the coupling and drawbar)
7.0 metres

Maximum width
2.3 metres

Towing vehicle over 3500kg GVW

Length (excluding the coupling and drawbar)
12 metres if at least 4 wheels

Maximum width
2.55 metres

Length of towing vehicle & trailer combined
18 metres

Maximum overhang of load from rear of trailer
3.05 metres

Further information from: National Trailer and Towing Association (NTTA)
www.ntta.co.uk/law/

Maximum trailer sizes

Type 01: unbraked trailers - max. 750kg gross trailer weight or half the towing vehicle's kerb weight - whichever is less.
Type 02: trailers on overrun brakes - max. 3500kg gross trailer weight.
1982 regulations require that all trailers, including unbraked ones, must be clearly marked with their maximum gross weight in kg. This may be checked at any time by the police at a weighbridge. Since 1 January 1997, all unbraked trailer plates must show the year of manufacture.

Safe weight ratios

For stable and safe towing we would always recommend that you choose the smallest and lightest possible caravan suitable for your intended use. The less the laden weight of the caravan is in relation to the weight of the towing vehicle, the safer and more stable the outfit will be. The Caravan Club, for example, advises that you should aim for a towed load that is no more than 85% of the car's kerb weight for stability and safety. The CC advice is NEVER to tow above 100% of the car's kerbside weight.
N.B. The car manufacturer's specified maximum permissible towload is always the absolute towing limit regardless of any 85% or 100% weight ratio guideline. This is especially important in those cases where the manufacturer's figure is particularly low - in a few cases even below 85%.

Load distribution

Proper load distribution, in general, must be ensured too, with all heavy items in the caravan low down and directly over the axle wherever possible. Correct tyre pressures for car and caravan are absolutely vital.

Noseweight

It is a legal requirement that the noseweight should be 4% of the weight of the trailer or at least 25kg, whichever is the higher.. For safety you should aim for, but not exceed, the lower of the 2 figures specified for caravan and car respectively.

Passengers

It is illegal to carry passengers inside a caravan whilst on the road. It is permitted for pets to travel in the caravan, although this is not recommended safe practice.

Driving Licences

A full (not provisional) driving licence is required to tow a caravan. From 1 January 1997, new category B (generally held as 'normal' car entitlement) vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kg Maximum Authorised Mass allowing a combined weight of up to 4.25 tonnes MAM OR a trailer (for example a tourer) over 750kg MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM. This would mean that many drivers who possess only a category B on their licence would be able to tow a caravan provided it was not heavier than their car, and that car and caravan combined, does not weigh more than 3.5 tonnes.
New drivers of outfits over these limits must take a category B + E test.
Further information from: Driver and Vehicle Licencing Agency (DVLA)
www.dvla.gov.uk

Speed

Towed outfits may travel at up to 50 mph on single carriageway roads and up to 60 mph on dual carriageways and motorways. Towed outfits are not permitted in the outside lane of a three or more lane motorway unless other lanes are closed.

Brakes

A caravan with a maximum design laden weight of more than 750kg must be braked with an intertia (overrun) type braking system up to a maximum permissible laden weight of 3500kg.

Road lights

Caravans must have flashing indicators fitted at the back. A buzzer or other means of alerting the driver must be installed to highlight the failure of any of these indicators.
Caravans must have two rear lights conforming to certain size requirements and bearing the appropriate CE mark. Marker lights must be fitted 'as high as practicable' on the side or at the front and rear of caravans over 2.1m wide.

Carrying gas cylinders

Regulations relating to the use of liquid petroleum gas (LPG) in vehicles on the public highway require the gas to be shut off at the cylinder when no appliance is in use. While the vehicle is in motion, no gas appliance should be in use. Special restrictions apply in certain road tunnels, the Channel Tunnel and on ferries. DO check before setting off.
Parking

Do not park your caravan:
• where it may cause an obstruction
• at night on a road without lights
• in street parking bays as some local laws forbid this
• at a parking meter, as caravans are not permitted
• unless securely braked or chocked to prevent movement

And finally ....
• A caravan stored in its owner's garden may be used as a spare bedroom to accommodate non-paying guests. Friends can bring their own caravan and stay within the garden of a house.
• Caravans must have a rear number plate, matching that of the towing vehicle, and illuminated at night.
• TVs used in caravans are covered by the owner's domestic TV licence as long the caravan is occupied by someone resident where the TV licence is registered.
• Caravans do not have to undergo an MOT test.
• All safety regulations for car tyres apply to caravans. Retread tyres should not be used. Radial and cross-ply tyres must not be mixed on the same axle.

Last edited:
You are unlikely to get problems when towing in the UK so long as:

* the number plate on the trailer is the same as the tow car
* the lights work properly
* the load is secured properly
* you are insured
* you have a valid driving licence that allows you to tow that weight

The Police are not very interested in towing. By contrast VOSA are very interested and can stop you, examine & impound the trailer if they are not happy with the condition of it. If you are towing as part of a business you may need to have a Tachograph and limit your working hours. If it falls under "Not for Hire or Reward" (ie it's your car, your trailer, your equipment in the trailer and you're not running a business transporting the goods or using the goods for a business) then I don't think VOSA have much power over you. If you are not a UK resident then I suspect they won't be interested at all

These are my interpretations of the UK situation so I'd look on the VOSA site for a definition of what they have control over and what the requirements are

www.vosa.gov.uk

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

You are unlikely to get problems when towing in the UK so long as:

* the number plate on the trailer is the same as the tow car
* the lights work properly
* the load is secured properly
* you are insured
* you have a valid driving licence that allows you to tow that weight
check, check, check, check, check :)

I try to use mye head when towing, and I allways secure well.

You basically say that when going nice and slow with a set up that does not look like it will fall apart any time, I am probably not going to get any trouble?

I am not going far, as I am leaving from Newcastle and the digger is located in Oldham, only 136 miles away.

Just bought THIS ONE . Hope it is good to tow with. Total weight of the trailer is probably around 1,8 - 1,9 tons.

You basically say that when going nice and slow with a set up that does not look like it will fall apart any time, I am probably not going to get any trouble?

In a nutshell! (Translated: Yes!)

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom