Towing Using W124 300d

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TOPMERCS

Need advise please, a bit concerned - I have a 300D W124-1988, the question is, is it ok to tow another vehicle for about 10-12miles using the 300D, and if it is ok, and was to be done often, is that a problem??, or anything one has to look out for. Would it have a load to lets say the gearbox/clutch etc.
Please do excuse my ignorance for this - I was a bit concerned when someone asked me to tow their vehicle, unfortunately i gave an excuse for which i felt quite bad, but in the past when i used to have a VW VENTO 1.8cl, i agreed to tow someone for about 8 miles, and within a few days i could smell the clutch burning,which eventually lead to getting it changed.
I really didn't want to go through any expences incase anything would happen.Please give me your opinions / knowledge for this, so for the future i will know what to do, thanks. :confused:

andy_k said:
as long as you don't exceed the towing limits for your car - check the handbook you should have no problems

HTH

Andy

Andy thanks for your reply, will have a look.
Has anyone had an experiance due to towing in any particular vehicle????
Please share your experiances.

towed many happy mile with my e330td a caravan maybe but at 1350kgs no light weight ..my max tow is 1900kgs with braked trailer, may be different for cars because of less effective brakes during towing (no power to towed car?) so no braked assistance

Just let the engine, not the clutch do the work.
Obvoiusly start in 1st gear and only change up when moving well, no racing starts and keep the revs down when pulling away from rest.
Try to keep the engine in the peak torque band, approx 1800-3600rpm.
Stay in one gear going up hills unless you eitther NEED to change down or can readilly change up.

Your Vento struggled because it didn't have much torque so you had to slip the clutch to apply additional torque, you won't have the same problem with the MB diesel.

Dieselman - Thanks for the advise - Funny enough i have never tried to change the autobox manually, Do i have to press the brakes to change, or once moving i can just change as i go along???Bit scared incase i load / ruin the autobox.

just change gear with the lever, it only really applies for going uphill - drop it out of drive and into "3" this will avoid the gearbox trying to change up when it shouldn't

You can change gear whilst the car is moving just like you would a manual.

You can start a W124 in first by manaully selecting second gear then drive whilst you are at a standstill although under load you may find the gearbox will drop down to first automatically.

HTH

Andy

TOPMERCS said:
Dieselman - Thanks for the advise - Funny enough i have never tried to change the autobox manually, Do i have to press the brakes to change, or once moving i can just change as i go along???Bit scared incase i load / ruin the autobox.

You didn't say it was an auto, and actually said you were concerned about the gearbox and clutch.

For get the previous advice and just drive the car, it will sort itself out as needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom