Towing with a CLK230 Auto tip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Irishbandit

Car
Mercedes CLK 230 Auto Tip
hi,

wondering if anyone can give me some advice we have recently bought a lunar eclipse with has a rough gross weigh of about 1150KG the kerb weight of the clk is around 1450gk according to parkers guide with a BHP of 197

does anyone know if my car can suitably pull the caravan ?

hi,

wondering if anyone can give me some advice we have recently bought a lunar eclipse with has a rough gross weigh of about 1150KG the kerb weight of the clk is around 1450gk according to parkers guide with a BHP of 197

does anyone know if my car can suitably pull the caravan ?

The towing capacity has more to do with the chassis than the bhp. Check on the site below for weights (link given). Although the 230 isn't listed for some reason, others, including the 200 are all around 1500kg maximum towing capacity (for a braked trailer) or 85% of the kerbweight of the car (if you passed your test since 1997 I think). Even if that is the case, an 1150kg caravan is within that limit. I'd advise however that you check your manual to confirm the info on the site though. As far as how well it may tow, I'm afraid I can't help you with that one but legally you should be ok

Towing Capacity  

Should be OK, caravan less than 80% of car weight (suggested ratio) but check actual weight at public weighbridge when fully loaded. As caravan is half as long again as the car I would want a stabiliser fitted to stop the tail wagging the dog but can't see any major problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom