Towing with a W202 C180

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy W

Car
ML 270 cdi
How practical is it to tow with a W202 C180. The handbook states that a towing weight of 1500 kg is ok, I ask as the wife wants us to buy a caravan and swap my 1998 C180 for a ML but after reading about ML's on this site...er no thanks, besides I really do love my C180 and do NOT want to sell it, hows that for a satified owner ? Does any one else tow a caravan with a 180.

I occasionally tow a large, often heavy trailer with my 250TD, no problems with power or ride, you don't know the trailer is there most of the time. That is just towing heavy low loads such as cars etc.

This week I had to shift some large wooden containers, I loaded the trailer up 8ft high with these crates that are not heavy, after 5 miles the temp gauge was upto to 90 and the car smelt very hot, I imagine this is similar to towing a caravan, not heavy but large. I certainly would not be keen on towing a van far particularly in warm weather, mine has a auto box fluid cooler, not sure if the C180 has one.

To be honest I think the C180 would struggle towing a caravan, better to have a towing vehicle that would be master of the load rather than struggling with it.

Thanks for that Jimmy, I did wonder about the fluid cooler on the auto box, the last thing I want to do is wreck my car, like I said I dont want to sell it, but cannot justify buying a vehicle just for towing as I already have a sign written van that would tow but the missus said we would look like gypsies on the move and we have a Micra that the missus will not swap, so it looks like I may have to sell the Merc and get a Toyota Landcruiser Amazon, would of prefered an ML but the write ups on this site !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom