towing with an automatic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John Kerr

Car
W209 CLK 220CDI Sport
Hi I have a W203 220 CDI 6sp and I am looking to change it and fancy an auto.I go touring with a 16ft caravan,does anyone have a C Class 220 CDI and use it to tow a caravan? does the transmision overheat and do you need an extra oil cooler?
Many thanks for answers in advance John Kerr

The cooling should be fine. Just make sure the fluid is changed on a regular basis

I have towed with a w203 C220 cdi Auto previously and had no problems. In fact some would say they tow better than manual (possibly due to Torque converter). I now tow with w203 C320cdi auto and again very pleased.

Hope this helps.

I prefer towing with an auto - much easier in stop/start traffic and when manoeuvring.

Just make sure your car/caravan weight ratio is OK, and you stay under the braked trailer and noseweight limits for the car.

I tow a heavy caravan with my automatic W124 - no problems. towed with a manual before and cant see any benefits/problems between either - both worked for me fine.

i tow a 21ft fleetwood heritage with my e300 auto, great for towing, wouldnt go back to towing with manual and the cruise controls handy, dont usually go any faster than 50mph or so but im sure it would be different over in england...the roads in ireland are more like B roads, everywhere......makes every journey an event in its own right.

Yes if you like cruise control (I do) that's another reason for towing with an auto.

Tow with a C270 auto to just under recommended max towing weight. Never had any problems....dead easy with auto box...no problems at all...in fact easier than towing with friends manual Nissan Navarra 4x4

I tow a trailer that weighs 1.25 ton loaded with my W202 C220 auto, & its certainly up to the job, & much easier for reversing up a long awkward driveway.

I've towed caravans in the past with a W210 auto and also a Volvo V70 D5 auto. No problems.

David

I think that these days the additional oil cooler is not required for occasional routine towing within the limits specified by MB. That said if you think you'll be towing a lot, or a particularly heavy load, or mainly up/down hill then it might be worth considering fitting one.

As others have said towing with an automatic is great. Plenty of torque on a C220 CDi so the engine should be up to the job. Our ML has a 270 CDi engine - and we tow a 26ft caravan - so only a little more torque but more weight to lug.

So all that's left is whether the match is good for your car.

auto's are fine for towing, i have a w203 auto (no towbar) but have done a lot of heavy towing with my pajero auto and would'nt want to use a manual again for towing the one thing i would say is to use the gearbox when going up or down long or steep hills as you'd be supprised how quicky you can overheat the brakes and have brake fade - not good !!

Not sure if this applies to a C Class but the factory towbar on my E211 comes with added cooling ability and the rear Sam is configured to 'know' when there is a trailer coupled and the bulb-failure works on the trailer as well as the car.

Better with a factory towbar than an aftermarket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom