TOWISW123 '89 420SEC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CreosoteChris

Car
1993 300CE
Hiya gang - I haven't been around here for a while - hope all's well with the regulars and members I've met.

Still driving the ol' C124 - I've covered 33,000 miles in the last 3-and-a-bit years and it's been a fabulous car - standing up amazingly well to year-round use - and still attracts admirations, along with "are you selling" enquiries. Anyway, I think I'm nearing the point where I need a change....

...only problem is, I can't find anything that I like more than out-of-date pillarless Mercs. Snooping around the 'net, the thing I currently find most eye-catching is this C126 in Sheffield, and I'm thinking of going to take a look. The C126 has always been my dream car, and I now find I'm in a position to afford one.

Anyone been to view this vehicle? Opinions? Am I completely nutty considering daily-driving an '89 vehicle, or have I been extraordinarily lucky with my '93 C124, which has been reliable for 33k with only minor hassles ?

All comments, opinions, advice welcomed

Cheers

Chris
93 220CE, auto, red / black leather, 131k, Manchester

You have to be wary of an ad like that eg "self cleaning rear lights" ?! What nonsense.
Orange Bosch indicators "give it that classic 80s feel".

As for being completely nutty considering it as a daily driver I would say you are as it is a thirsty car. For leisurely use I would say it's fine. I ran a 500 SEC for five and a half years as my only car but petrol was under fifty pence a litre which made it a lot easier.

My view is that i depends on how handy you are with the spanners.

Its a 30 year old car, I had a 560 sec, and they are fabulous, but as a daily driver not so sure.

That one looks very good, but they can hide a multitude of sin, need to find the rust, its there, unless its been full restored, door sills, wings, spring perches, under rear window, all need to be checked. Also check under the carpet in the boot in the wing sills, they all go there eventually.

On the other hand most consumable parts are readily available and aftermarket are not expensive.

I would though say that is quite strong money for the least desirable V8, 560, 500 then 420 in that order is where you should put your money.

That said, if you look after it, it wont lose value, and will likely go up.

Id be very interested in the C124 If you're selling;)

I daily drove a W126 for a few years and still own an 88 560SEC. They are more than capable vehicles for keeping up with daily traffic and are super comfortable. I live in the states where fuel (at the time) cost about $3 gallon and I found that it was expensive to run. I cannot imagine what it would cost to run daily in the UK. A full tank was about 85 liters and would last about 240 miles.

Hey - thanks for all the responses (even though they took a while to arrive). I've been somewhat distracted recently with family matters / being on-call for work / being the other side of snow-covered Pennines - so I haven't been able to get a viewing, still intending to do so.

Appreciate all the comments and advice....
- Mercmush / alabbasi: under no illusions that the petrol bills will be heavy - but I view it as a different composition of costs - if I bought a late-model vehicle, the depreciation costs would be similarly hefty. I'm more deep-pocketed than my current ride would suggest.
- gbjeppm - great advice - thanks a lot
- Ali240 - noted, I'll mention it if I'm selling (though I suspect that if I buy from a place like TOWIW123, then they will be amenable to cutting a deal).

"Self cleaning rear lights" referred to the design, Being ribbed they were designed not to suck dirt up. Whether that actually worked im not so sure. I loved my c126 500sec, A great car making you feel special every time you drove it.

I sold a few rare W123 bits to the chap behind TOWIW123.
Nice guy, knows his stuff.

I've had 2 W126 cars , a 380SE & a 420SE. The 420 was better on fuel, & the way they ride is lovely , a real Mercedes. I also recall the parts were very well priced at the time ie Brake pads etc.

Anyone been to view this vehicle? Opinions? Am I completely nutty considering daily-driving an '89 vehicle, or have I been extraordinarily lucky with my '93 C124, which has been reliable for 33k with only minor hassles ?
Not at all. Our 190E is used daily. As long as the ignition consumables and OVP/FP relay's are tip-top there really isn't much to stop you getting where you want to go is there!

Well Chris if you want it go and see it,the car looks in great condition,broken offside front spot,but that is minor,I lover those cars,if I had spare garage space I would buy one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom