toy cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biscuit

we were with my parents last weekend and it was so nice seeing our kids (2 and a half twin boys) play with a big box of toy cars most of which i remember playing with 35 years ago. my dad swears there was one wooden train in there that he played with so thats 65 years old!

sure enough i get back and buy the boys two little vehicles from the local toy shop and boom they last less than thirty minutes. the wheels are gone on one and the plastic has just sheared on another part.

they'll be going back but i'm not sure if the shop stocks robust cars as i remember them. is there anywhere (on line?) that i can get good quality die cast toy cars that will last till next christmas at least in the hands of a two year old?

Why not give them your old ones? I'm sure your parents don't play with them much :)

i guess that doesn't tick the first christmas box - last year aged one and a half they didnt really get it all. but this year its trees and advent calendars and wrapping paper - the whole works. my old matchbox cars arent really part of that tbh! thats more scrooge than santa

unfortunatly i've found that whatever you spend on new toys nowadays the quality is really bad and dont last long with toddlers (or older kids for that matter, but they do treat a little more carefully).

Spent £40 on a scooby-doo house from argos last year - bits clip on to form the inside of the house kept on coming off during normal play. We returned it for a refund. OK, £40 isnt much but it felt like something that you could easily buy from a cheap shop for less than a fiver.

We've already wrapped most of the kids presents for this year and it appears that a lot of them are going to be the same sort of quality. Well known action figures seem to have limbs that clip on with badly designed plastic clips - they fall off really easily. I remember playing with Thundercat and A-Team figures without them falling to bits! The quality is no longer there...

unfortunatly, we are a throwaway society and the makers know this and there is little out there that will be seen in the same light as your car toys in 60 years time.

Saying that, occasionally we've come across some nice toys that are well built and surprise you. Often these can be things that are cheap too.

Never let today's children play with your old toys, they are far too valuable.

Get one of those price guide thingies in WH Smiths and look up the values. It's quite an eye opener. I've got corgi and dinky toys in the loft worth up to £300 each :)

Never let today's children play with your old toys, they are far too valuable.

Get one of those price guide thingies in WH Smiths and look up the values. It's quite an eye opener. I've got corgi and dinky toys in the loft worth up to £300 each :)

What on earth are they doing in the loft, get them down and put them in a display cabinet, you can then see and enjoy them.

At 2 1/2 years old i`m sure they are ready for a nice big scalextric track set up all over the living room floor!!!;) ;)

mine new ones are very sturdy and well made:
http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=61600

yes nice options indeed but at 25 - 50 quid a go is there not a happy compromise between four cars for a fiver (lasts five minutes) and 50 notes (display quality).

my internal accountant says eight to ten quid for a nice robust die cast metal car would be ideal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom