Toyo Proxies ST

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Howard

MB Club Veteran
Car
2018 C63 Wagon / CLK430 / A150 / VW Pink Floyd Golf Cabriolet
Hi all

Anyone have any experience of Toyo Proxies ST ( Street Terrain )

They are marketed for 4x4's that don't really go off road . Thinking about them for the ML430 , it never goes in fields , the only 'off road' it will see is the concrete slipway leading into the river as we pull boats out with it.

Need 4 of them , Camskill have them for £135 each ( 285/50/18 )

What are Toyo's like as a tyre ? don't want to spend fortunes on Michelins etc as the car only does a few miles a day.

Thanks

H

My dad bought one as a runaround the other day , to replace his old Jeep Cherokee.

Have not tried the 4x4 version but had Toyo proxes t1-r's all round on an Audi a4. They looked good, grip was good both wet and dry but wear rate was very poor. I got no more than 8000 miles from the front and about 12000 from the backs.

I doubt it will do 12k in the next ten years ! lol

I had the Proxes T1R on my MX5. good grip in wet and dry. In the MX5 at least the wear was very modest even with several track days. But I imagine they're quite a different tyre than the ones you're looking at.

I put some on a previous VW Touareg to replace Pirelli's and they were a much better tyre both in terms of grip and wear rates. I can't remember them as being particularly noisy either so I'm in the fan category. At the time Event tyres did me 4 for £396... I knew this was an internet pricing mistake, but they honoured the deal; I checked the next day and they were up to over £150 each.

Toyo Proxie T1R's here aswell on our second car (Mazda 2 Tamura). They are Mazda OE tyres. Wear appears good and have had no issues with grip in cold/wet.
Will be sticking with them on the Mazda when new 'summer' tyres are required. Have spare wheels and a set of Conti Wintercontacts ready to go on anytime now.

I put Toyo tyres on my ML after the original Bridgestones wore out. They were relatively cheap and performed OK but had a major flaw (at least on my car) & that was they never balanced properly.

They were done on the car and off the car, but the wobble never stopped.

Once worn, I changed to Vredestein Wintrac 4's and had no issues.

There are a few forums where this problem is discussed.

Hmmmmmm , bought them now ! Lol

I must say , they are pretty big ! I'll take some photos when the alloys are back and they are fitted.

Thanks for that Mac

Funnily enough , Lindsey from BJV dropped the wheels back today after a refurb and we got the tyres popped on , they look great.

Only issue we had was getting one of the old 17 inch wheels ( and tyre ) to go onto the spare wheel carrier. The hub is about an inch off the backing plate that it bolts to :dk: so the locking bolts for it won't fit.

Held it on with some stainless ones for now and will get the backing plate extended and rewelded later this week.

Crappy Iphone pic of the new ( old ) bus with her new wheels :cool:

Been to Gatwick this morning , so it's a bit dirty.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom