Toyota Avensis T4 Tourer Diesel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For the purposes you require a Ford Mondeo Estate would be difficult to beat.

Certainly better inside than a toymota.

I have driven one and owned and driven earlier versions. I wasn't referring to others in the media, mainly other car enthusiasts I know. I have also driven a Toyota Avensis.

My comments were not meant to annoy you, as they obviously have, just to point out that you are unlikely to find someone who matches your taste in what you want out of a car by the sound of it, so how valid would their comments be to you? We all like different things, if you're unsure, probably the best thing to do would be to ask someone who knows you really well and vice versa?

MY neighbours have just replaced their Avensis with a Skoda Superb Estate which I was very impressed with as a passenger and has a huge loading area, though I haven't driven it yet.

I agree BMW E60 fantastic car but F10 just does not cut it so no comparison IMHO. I don't really want someone who matches my taste in a car I want diverse constructive opinion from all quarters so I can judge if I am being too over critical, the financial deal on the Toyota makes great sense the question is what is the car like? I suspect DM has it right it does everything it says on the tin but is uninspiring< if it does then thats OK with this deal I could probably live with that , will post back on Thursday when It's been through the same bend as the others at various speeds. On the question of the Skoda well as already said on other posts " You're not parking a piece of **** on my drive" and at the end of the day.

skoda_big.jpg

Have you thought about an R-Class diesel?

4 wheel drive with plenty of load area?

At £30k you could be looking at the face-lift ie not so ugly.

Given you millage any residual after 80K is going to take a real hit.

For that reason are you not better buying ex demo or a year old or similar?

ooh and how about this, not maybe this one but they get great reports and are very well built if you can look beyond the badge.

Skoda : SKODA SUPURB ESTATE 20L 170 TDI

after 3 years and another 80K you can almost bin it compared to what you would lose on a new 520d say?

Last edited:
just suprised you found the BMW and Mercs 'that' bad. I have the older S211 and I can hammer on quite nicely, I would like to think the sport versions of the new ones only better?

From my experience they have got worse I always thought the S211 was a very well balanced all rounder and I have driven loads of them, thats why the 212 shocked me so much,maybe it's just me but I could not live with a S212 as an everyday driver.

What I need is a balance of Cost Vs Performance Vs Handling not sure which car fits that bill yet but the Toyota if any good spec'd how I want it would be a list of £28K with a whopping discount and hence the attraction :)

Have you thought about an R-Class diesel?

4 wheel drive with plenty of load area?

At £30k you could be looking at the face-lift ie not so ugly.

Probably not quick enough round the 'ring for the OP's tastes.

I thought Skoda's were basically all VW's now? In the same way Seat's are all old Audi's?

And you are seriously considering a Toyota Avensis?

That's the car equivalent of shopping for your entire wardrobe at Marks & Spencer - perfectly functional - absolutely no style for those that really don't care what they wear (drive).

For the purposes you require a Ford Mondeo Estate would be difficult to beat.

Certainly better inside than a toymota.

I have to disagree I'm afraid inside of Toyota is much higher quality than Mundaneo, brushed carbon and aluminium trim full premium navigation, hard disc drive for music as well, spec on titanium + is still no where near Toyota T4 Ford plastics are too cheap and nasty and that was the only thing that stopped me buying a Focus ST when they came out £20k+ for plastics worse than that of a Skoda :doh:

When you are talking E-Class Ian, are you on about the 212 or 211?

Being a badge snob and doing the miles you do. I would (given this is a Merc forum)

Be looking at a E250Cdi Estate (with D6 if need more vrrom) but add lots of toys to make the journeys nicer (rather than a E350cdi with base spec). I would want comfort and crusing ability over ability to tackle a sharp bend.

The toyota as other as said will do everything well, but I doubt after arriving at your destination you will ever look back at it in the carpark and think thats a great car?? The Merc does give you something special in that respect.

Brother had a lexus that did everything well, very well nothing failed and he does 60K a year plus... but just not a 'special' car.

For what must be 90% or more of your drives sound like they must be on motorway, so I if you have to slow down for the odd bend then I think I would rather do that.

My dad's been holding off buying a S212 after selling his S211 to be, he like you hasn't been as impressed. However the new 7g Plus box and a couple of styling options that appeal to him. he's closer than ever to ordering one, that is unless they reveal the CLS shooting brake very soon.

How long was the drive in the Merc and BM's could you loan one for a day and have a proper test?

-------------

Other head on.....

Why spend close on 40K....

So I would then be looking at something like an ex demo passat estate 170 with the DSG box. As you say a list price toyota estate at 28K you would be needing a huge discount to make that seem good value? Have you looked at Saab 3.0tdi also, brother had a Aero Hot estate for a while, lovely car. value wise again run it for three years and doesn't matter if its worthless.

When you are talking E-Class Ian, are you on about the 212 or 211?

212. I think the 211 is a good well balanced car, but if I spend +£20k it has to be new for reasons I rather not go into on here but will tell you at the next GTG or curry night :thumb:

:bannana:Enjoying this thread. Hi drama. Jousting back and forth. Toys not being thrown out of prams when challenged.

Talks of Velcro Bend. Expensive stuff versus percieved bland stuff. Someone with money to spend but wants a bargain (Gotta be a Yokshere man)

Fancy thrashing that Toyota over to Lancashire on Thursday night. Ill fix something up at my local Indian, come one come all. You could 62 it on the way over and go A Roads on the way back or even up to Tebay and across through Sedburgh, Hawes and Kirby Longsdale, probably got the order of the towns wrong but you know what I mean.

SWMBO has been watching the Mutt Factor and now is no doubt watching Miserable Abbey. Good old MBClub UK, works for me every time.

:bannana:Enjoying this thread. Hi drama. Jousting back and forth. Toys not being thrown out of prams when challenged.

Talks of Velcro Bend. Expensive stuff versus percieved bland stuff. Someone with money to spend but wants a bargain (Gotta be a Yokshere man)

Fancy thrashing that Toyota over to Lancashire on Thursday night. Ill fix something up at my local Indian, come one come all. You could 62 it on the way over and go A Roads on the way back or even up to Tebay and across through Sedburgh, Hawes and Kirby Longsdale, probably got the order of the towns wrong but you know what I mean.

SWMBO has been watching the Mutt Factor and now is no doubt watching Miserable Abbey. Good old MBClub UK, works for me every time.

That's a cracking idea, doesn't have to be Indian though I'm up for anything, the dealer is confirming tomorrow that the car is available for Thursday so I'll let you know soon as I do and as you say the more the merrier.

And yes you right about the Yorkshireman I just want a good deal, never been one for badge snobbery it's the all round performance of the car I consider (Skoda Excepted :D)

OK Ill PM you my mobile and Ill put a GTG type post up tomorrow if you can get the motor.

Being a badge snob and doing the miles you do. I would (given this is a Merc forum)

Be looking at a E250Cdi Estate (with D6 if need more vrrom) but add lots of toys to make the journeys nicer (rather than a E350cdi with base spec). I would want comfort and crusing ability over ability to tackle a sharp bend.

The toyota as other as said will do everything well, but I doubt after arriving at your destination you will ever look back at it in the carpark and think thats a great car?? The Merc does give you something special in that respect.

Brother had a lexus that did everything well, very well nothing failed and he does 60K a year plus... but just not a 'special' car.

For what must be 90% or more of your drives sound like they must be on motorway, so I if you have to slow down for the odd bend then I think I would rather do that.

My dad's been holding off buying a S212 after selling his S211 to be, he like you hasn't been as impressed. However the new 7g Plus box and a couple of styling options that appeal to him. he's closer than ever to ordering one, that is unless they reveal the CLS shooting brake very soon.

How long was the drive in the Merc and BM's could you loan one for a day and have a proper test?

-------------

Other head on.....

Why spend close on 40K....

So I would then be looking at something like an ex demo passat estate 170 with the DSG box. As you say a list price toyota estate at 28K you would be needing a huge discount to make that seem good value? Have you looked at Saab 3.0tdi also, brother had a Aero Hot estate for a while, lovely car. value wise again run it for three years and doesn't matter if its worthless.

You do make some very good points, I think the poor impression of the 212 maybe it was an auto box and as everyone knows I am not an auto fan but the main thing that switched me off was the interior build quality of the 212 it did not impress me at all I could probably live with a 220 or 250 manual but the quality of the interior was a big turn off for me plastics too hard and switch gear just felt flimsy maybe I'm being too picky but struggling to see the added value of the MB. Had the BMW for a full day so was able to put it through its paces, had the E320 3 days last week in Germany as a rental car so very familiar with it

I hate changing the daily driver, the weekend car is usually much more easy :D

If it was a E320 its not the new model? did the one you have have the 7g plus box (gear lever on the stalk).

My dads been in the same boat, hence he kept his S211 as nothing he has tried yet is for him as good... he's tried

Audi A6 quattro 3.0
Audi Q7
BMW 530Gt
BMW 530d
Range Rover TDv8
Merc E350cdi coupe
Merc E350 cdi estate (older 5 speed)

currently he's in a stop gap car a ML320Cdi and although he's close to ordering a new one, he's not excited about it and spending £45k or more you should be. Hence the wait for the CLS. ok its more again bit if the cars a keeper :)

I'd struggle to spend 2 grand on a Toyota Avensis, nevermind nearly thirty bags.

Just buy an E350 CDi Sport and I'll have it off you when you're finished with it.

Case closed.

If it was a E320 its not the new model? did the one you have have the 7g plus box (gear lever on the stalk).

My dads been in the same boat, hence he kept his S211 as nothing he has tried yet is for him as good... he's tried

Audi A6 quattro 3.0
Audi Q7
BMW 530Gt
BMW 530d
Range Rover TDv8
Merc E350cdi coupe
Merc E350 cdi estate (older 5 speed)

currently he's in a stop gap car a ML320Cdi and although he's close to ordering a new one, he's not excited about it and spending £45k or more you should be. Hence the wait for the CLS. ok its more again bit if the cars a keeper :)

Sorry you are correct it was a 350, I always think of the V6 diesels as 320's and yes was the 7g + box. My view on the 7g is well known but have to admit the 7g+ is better but I'm not an auto fan. Your dad has a very good point would I spend £40k + on this car? No there are far better out there for that money.

From my experience they have got worse I always thought the S211 was a very well balanced all rounder and I have driven loads of them, thats why the 212 shocked me so much,maybe it's just me but I could not live with a S212 as an everyday driver.

So whats wrong with a second hand E220cdi, 280cdi or 320cdi estate. Having spent over 8 hours this weekend at the wheel of mine, I do struggle to think, how could I better this car as a day to day and weekend prospect. Be a proper Yorkshireman, save a packet and go for the 211 over the 212.

My issue with the 212 was the seats, which a) don't support your legs properly as the squab is too short and b) don't go low enough.

I felt the car drove fine, and had very good steering, albiet too light. Cabin wise, I thought it was lovely and with the 5g box, a competent big car.

What I need is a balance of Cost Vs Performance Vs Handling not sure which car fits that bill yet but the Toyota if any good spec'd how I want it would be a list of £28K with a whopping discount and hence the attraction :)

I can offer you the opinion of "Kenny" who I know, he uses his Avensis as a mini cab. He rates the car very highly, good for covering the distances, reliable and very "easy to drive". I imagine however Kenny never really pushes the car that hard.

Last edited:
What about a Subaru Legacy Tourer?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom