Toyota Avensis T4 Tourer Diesel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'd struggle to spend 2 grand on a Toyota Avensis, nevermind nearly thirty bags.

Just buy an E350 CDi Sport and I'll have it off you when you're finished with it.

Case closed.

I couldn't live with the E350 for 3 years and certainly couldn't justify spending £40k on it.

So whats wrong with a second hand E220cdi, 280cdi or 320cdi estate. Having spent over 8 hours this weekend at the wheel of mine, I do struggle to think, how could I better this car as a day to day and weekend prospect. Be a proper Yorkshireman, save a packet and go for the 211 over the 212.

If I am spending a decent amount say £20k plus it has to be new ;)

OK, some real life opinion of the Toyota Avensis. My father-in-law (in Russia) had one up to last winter, when we got him a larger, US spec Toyota.

The Avensis actually is a very likeable car. Competent, spacious and very reliable and well put together (much needed in Russia!). The diesel is not the best engine in the world and certainly not very refined, but is competent and pulls well from low revs and has proven good for overtaking, again a much needed quality in Russia for overtaking mile after mile of trucks!

I drove it a few times and have to admit if fuel was the prices it is in Russia, I would choose the 1.8 (or 2.4) petrol every time (the same engine as in my Celica and the new Toyota he now has.)

Some Toyotas are boring and joyless machines, but the new Avensis is not that bad, and actually from the times I spent in it, can be fun! :)

For folk that think all Toyotas are not for "drivers" I challenge you to drive my Gen 7 Celica.... it IS fun, make no mistake, possibly the only car I've had that equals it for "fun for pound" was my old Alfa Sprint!

Interesting turn of events

Talking to the Volvo dealer this morning on a totally different subject and we got on to my V50 and was asking me when I was going to change it, to which I said now and told him about the Avensis deal and that was my current line of thinking if the car drove as well on a longer test drive.

20 minutes later the Volvo sales manager was on the phone offering to match in % terms any discount offered by Toyota and inviting me down for a chat and a test drive of whatever I want, so that might bring a V70 back into play even though that will be about my 7th Volvo from them. But I must admit I can't fault any Volvo I have ever had the only failure in all the years was a collapsed rear wheel bearing on my V70 T5

So it's test drive the Avensis and then onto Volvo :D

If the V70 is anything like the S60 I had it will be a comfy drive but a b*tch to park and turn as it will have the worst turning circle I have experienced.

Have you thought about a Honda Accord Estate ??

If the V70 is anything like the S60 I had it will be a comfy drive but a b*tch to park and turn as it will have the worst turning circle I have experienced.

Have you thought about a Honda Accord Estate ??

V70 is a bit better than it's 60 sister, I've had 3 previously and they have all been good, Not really a fan of the Honda styling

I loved my S60, had it for three years, but hated the way the turning circle made me look like I couldn't drive in car parks!! :D

Would you consider something like a Nissan Qashquai? I tried one a while ago and was impressed. Liked the elevated driving position and the relatively good spec for the money. Guess it's a bit of a marmite car though.. :)

Last edited:
I loved my S60, had it for three years, but hated the way the turning circle made me look like I couldn't drive in car parks!! :D

Would you consider something like a Nissan Qashquai? I tried one a while ago and was impressed. Liked the elevated driving position and the relatively good spec for the money. Guess it's a bit of a marmite car though.. :)

Qashquai is a really good car I've had quite a few as rentals in various countries, always felt it was a little compromised on the cargo space though even the extended 7 seater version.

Mate of mine has had an Avensis for 9 years, he's not a petrol head at all.

Uses the car for business and changed the oil for the first time last year, in his mind the annual MOT was expense enough for car maintenance!

On the upside his only issue has been a knackered alternator over the 9 years.

Mate of mine has had an Avensis for 9 years, he's not a petrol head at all.

Uses the car for business and changed the oil for the first time last year, in his mind the annual MOT was expense enough for car maintenance!

On the upside his only issue has been a knackered alternator over the 9 years.

Translate that lot into the cost of services at an MB dealer and you would be quids in.

Pah. All these people complaining about the Volvo turning circle. All it takes is planning... and never going into a space forwards.

If you're worried about turning circles get one of those Vito taxis with rear wheel steering ;)

Parents often complain about being a taxi service......buy the car that fits!

Translate that lot into the cost of services at an MB dealer and you would be quids in.

That's his exact argument.

Claims annual MOT is plenty enough, gets tyres when he has to and brakes too.

The downside?

When the alternator went in the middle lane of M25 rush hour - the tailback made it onto Radio 2 - he still shudders at all the names he was called that day.

(I was talking to him at the time - 'What's it mean when all the lights come on mate?' - Me: Move over to the hard shoulder - Him: I can't it's just stopped - Me: You are F****D.)

Last edited by a moderator:
That's his exact argument.

Claims annual MOT is plenty enough, gets tyres when he has to and brakes too.

The downside?

When the alternator went in the middle lane of M25 rush hour - the tailback made it onto Radio 2 - he still shudders at all the names he was called that day.

(I was talking to him at the time - 'What's it mean when all the lights come on mate?' - Me: Move over to the hard shoulder - Him: I can't it's just stopped - Me: You are F****D.)

No amount of dealer servicing would stop an alternator failure. He must have saved thousands over the years.

We have a 2011 XC70 and can confirm the turning circle is now fine. Our 07 reg V70 was indeed a barge!

As with above, Volvos do seem quite reliable in comparison to other makes, but lack the overall polish of a BMW or Mercedes.

Ian, if it ain't broke don't fix it. If you've found Volvo's to be pleasant, reliable and ideal fit for your requirements, why buy something else. Change, for the sake of change, is usually bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom