Toyota/Lexus Introducing 10yr/100k miles Warranty - Free!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think it's a great move and as the servicing costs have always been and are (currently) very reasonable something I welcome :thumb:
The Lexus Relax t&cs are a good read though, especially the last bullet point on page 6 under "Lexus Relax does not provide cover for " -- "vehicles that are not technically fault free" :dk: Now, what does that really mean?

I think it's a great move and as the servicing costs have always been and are (currently) very reasonable something I welcome :thumb:
The Lexus Relax t&cs are a good read though, especially the last bullet point on page 6 under "Lexus Relax does not provide cover for " -- "vehicles that are not technically fault free" :dk: Now, what does that really mean?
does not cover existing conditions ?

A family member has just bought a 2018 NX300h, I have driven it, yes a very good car, but no comparison to my Mercedes in terms of driving pleasure, the infotainment system is hardly straightforward, compared to mine it does waffle or wabble over speed bumps, but in sport mode things tighten up.

£900 for a 3 year service plan with 3 mots included in the price is very competitive. Would I buy one, probably not yet, not very keen on suv, plus would miss my V6.

but wait a minute, reading the terms and conditions shows that the scheme has plenty of situations where the warranty would not cover you;

"Types of damage or defects not covered by Lexus Relax includes, but are not limited to:

b) Damage or defects as a result of any wear and tear, excessive free play, noise and/or vibration;

If wear and tear covers things like suspension rubbers and ball-joints then that's going to cause a lot of angst.

People say Toyotas and Lexus just don't break, so it's not much of a risk for them - anyway, depending on how they do their books, parts could be cost, labour is cheap at warranty rates and the VAT is recoverable, so what would be a chunky cost to an individual would cost the manufacturer buttons. Meanwhile the dealers get all that lucrative brake fluid, disc and pad changes etc etc.

VW just launched something similar, although somewhat more restricted - "All In" is Service, MOT, Roadside and Warranty for about the same cost as service plus MOT. It's only on cars under 6yrs old at the start and max age it 8yrs old. I expect some unhappiness at the VW scheme as "All In" doesn't include things like ATF and Haldex fluid changes which dealers insist are mandatory - again, nice opportunity for dealers to get additional highly profitable servicing work.

A family member has just bought a 2018 NX300h, I have driven it, yes a very good car, but no comparison to my Mercedes in terms of driving pleasure, the infotainment system is hardly straightforward, compared to mine it does waffle or wabble over speed bumps, but in sport mode things tighten up.

'a very good car'?

But 'no comparison to my Mercedes in terms of driving pleasure'

And 'infotainment system is hardly straightforward'

And .... 'it does waffle or wabble over speed bumps'

And let me add

- the brakes have a weird feel

- and the economy is pretty awful ..... it's a hybrid too

- no comparison to most cars I have ever driven in terms of driving pleasure.

I'd conclude it's actually pretty poor car. A pointless product. I can't see why anybody would buy it new. Maybe it's better value second hand.

I'm not sure I'd want to live with one for 1 week let alone 10 years.

'a very good car'?

And let me add

I'd conclude it's actually pretty poor car. A pointless product. I can't see why anybody would buy it new. Maybe it's better value second hand.

I'm nost sure I'd want to live with one for 1 week let alone 10 years.
Yep I agree with the brakes having a weird feel.

Yes they hold prices well, the 2018 model with 11k miles, and one owner cost 26k, from a non main dealer, I hasten to add, around 28k at main dealers 😒, so that tells u, these cars are in demand, and hold there value well.

I wouldn't go far as to say its a pretty poor car though, i can rephrase it as a good car😀

Yep I agree with the brakes having a weird feel.
Due to the regenerative nature?
Must say I find the brakes in my RC very easily modulated and have plenty of feel.
That said nothing I have driven comes anywhere close to the sublime (and ferocious!) SBC in my CLS55

'a very good car'?

And let me add

I'm not sure I'd want to live with one for 1 week let alone 10 years.
I take it your not a fan then😀

Yes they hold prices well, the 2018 model with 11k miles, and one owner cost 26k, from a non main dealer, I hasten to add, around 28k at main dealers 😒, so that tells u, these cars are in demand, and hold there value well.

That's scarily poor value for money then.

You can experience bland or rubbish cars that are not memorable. But the NX300h stands out as a memorably rubbish car for me last year. I had one for a week and trundled about the suburbs, the Yorkshire Dales, and motorways and I don't often think a car is exceptionally poor - but my conclusion was that this Lexus serves no valid purpose as a product in its sector. I find it hard to see how anybody would cough £28K for a 3 year old model (maybe the 11k miles shows how unenthusiastic the previous owner was when it ame to driving it). It woudn't make much sense even at £14K.

That's scarily poor value for money then.

You can experience bland or rubbish cars that are not memorable. But the NX300h stands out as a memorably rubbish car for me last year. I had one for a week and trundled about the suburbs, the Yorkshire Dales, and motorways and I don't often think a car is exceptionally poor - but my conclusion was that this Lexus serves no valid purpose as a product in its sector. I find it hard to see how anybody would cough £28K for a 3 year old model (maybe the 11k miles shows how unenthusiastic the previous owner was when it ame to driving it). It woudn't make much sense even at £14K.
I agree that i wouldn’t have paid the 26k, that the family member paid, let alone 28k, but they wanted a “premium suv hybrid”, rather then a plug in, but around London I see plenty of them, and dealers are selling them pretty rapidly currently, so I don’t know what that’s says. Each to their own I guess. If I was ever in the market for a suv, my short list would be X5, Q5, and the GLE, must be V6 though😀 late X5 are getting good reviews. But who knows what the future holds for diesels, when my time comes for a change.

I had a Kia, and during the 7 year warranty period the only warranty repair was something that the dealer actually f***ed-up themselves and then fixed it FOC (for us) and put it on the warranty.... I'd say that the Kia was pretty reliable.
Mine wasn't and the verbal abuse/swearing at me from the dealer when it was in for warranty work(new bearings) at 9 months old meant I would never go near a KIA dealership again

Mine wasn't and the verbal abuse/swearing at me from the dealer when it was in for warranty work(new bearings) at 9 months old meant I would never go near a KIA dealership again

Why did they swear at you?

I have no idea, perhaps because after 2 weeks of having the car and doing nothing with it I asked for them to hurry up or at least give me a courtesy car as mine was required for work as a vet both of which they flatly refused to do.

Ps apparently it was fairly common for that service manager, he was sacked within 12 months of my issue, any further communication between him and me before getting the car back after over 4 weeks I left to my wife even though I am a very quiet/placid mild mannered type of person

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom