Toyota MIRAI hydrogen tank pressure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I read a long time back that to compress hydrogen for storage took one third of its energy value. Not sure if that was for it remaining gaseous or liquefying it (in which case it could include the refrigeration) but even compressing to 700 bar is going to consume some amount of energy. Probably the main reason hydrogen has remained the future for so long.

I read a long time back that to compress hydrogen for storage took one third of its energy value. Not sure if that was for it remaining gaseous or liquefying it (in which case it could include the refrigeration) but even compressing to 700 bar is going to consume some amount of energy. Probably the main reason hydrogen has remained the future for so long.
Combined with the energy needed to produce the hydrogen in first place….

Combined with the energy needed to produce the hydrogen in first place….
That could be done 'cleanly' though - via renewables and/or gas and carbon capture. But that electricity will of course be in demand elsewhere. The concept of hydrogen as 'energy storage' (eg, using solar to create hydrogen which can then be utilised in periods of darkness) is somewhat flawed given how difficult storage is.
It lends itself much more readily to low pressure distribution via a piped network where it is drawn as soon as created - if the supply and demand could be (almost) exactly matched. To my mind, that is what should be pursued. Not least as we have extensive distribution networks which could be re-deployed and much of the problems associated with hydrogen (eg, cracking of steel) don't exist at low pressure.

The future of HYDROGEN storage must lie with the development of adsorbtion/ absorbtion materials capable of competing with or surpassing gas compression or liquifaction??

Having worked for many years with high pressure liquids and hydrocarbon gasses I'm concerned about the safety aspects of having a container of 10K psi highly flammable/explosive gas somewhere in a car - the distance gas cylinders (as in oxygen and acetylene metal cylinders) flew when they exploded in a land rig fire that occurred at Hatfield Moors in Yorkshire was frightening, and they were probably only at 3K psi before the fire.

Having worked for many years with high pressure liquids and hydrocarbon gasses I'm concerned about the safety aspects of having a container of 10K psi highly flammable/explosive gas somewhere in a car - the distance gas cylinders (as in oxygen and acetylene metal cylinders) flew when they exploded in a land rig fire that occurred at Hatfield Moors in Yorkshire was frightening, and they were probably only at 3K psi before the fire.
Compare this to LPG in cars which (i think) is relatively low pressure - 100 psi?

LPG is in roughly, 6-10 bar range. 10 bar (150psi) would be on a very hot day.

If done properly, its the future of clean energy. Not easy but worth the effort.
I understand that the London MET has been running a trial with a small fleet of Hydrogen Toyotas in recent years.

Where in a passenger vehicle do you put a 10K psi pressure vessel "safely"?? You don't want it in the front or rear crumple zone areas, so like EV's I guess it has to go underneath the passenger compartment like the batteries in an EV. Would you feel comfortable travelling inside a vehicle knowing you had a 10K psi tank of highly flammable and explosive gas just below your backside...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a beliver (ATM) that EV's are the way forward, they're just the easy way away from the ICE (diesel) cars we were all pushed to buy 10 years ago, H2 has more potential, but it's not easy! Wonder if ammonium, as I've seen mooted today for aircraft engines, is an alternative!

I don't know what all the fuss is about. Gas powered cars worked perfectly well during 2 world wars. Safe as houses.

1928-D1x.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom