Toyota recall.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
Mildred for God's sake don't touch that window switch! Noooooooooooo!
KABOOM!!!
Toyota have issued a recall for 7.43 million vehicles for a "fire risk" for a window switch that might " melt" quote "No accidents, injuries or deaths have been reported as a result of the problem, though there is a possibility that the malfunctioning switches could emit smoke." :eek: Shares in Toyota ended down 1.90 per cent, while the broader Nikkei index fell 1.98 per cent. :confused:

Meanwhile on a main road near you --- continue to suffer from industrial deafness from the assault on our ears of road springs going BOING!!! as they break on regular basis. - which by the way is not regarded a safetyor recall issue. Truly the world has gone mad.:wallbash:

Massive Toyota recall affects 2.5m cars in U.S. and 7.4m globally... over faulty power window switch | Mail Online

This has been happening to renault Megan's for Years I never heard renault recall their cars even do they like to hike up the price in replacement parts

I had a car that was parked no work done too the car as speaker s or any thing
Caught on fire fire brigade called out ripped door car off to find melted electrical connector to window motor

Fire man said we get two or three calls a month on this model
I was amazed
Checked net very common fault
Rang renault not satisfaction

Toyota are certainly quick to recall, which says a lot for them I think.
Thankfully my new Toyota is not on the list! :D

Toyota spokesman on Radio 4 Today programme said no car had ever actually caught fire, just a risk of it happening which they were required to mention due to US regulations.

Not the same thing though is it? Not really BMW's fault.

Not BMWs fault that you can smash a window wIthout the alarm going off?

Or maybe not BMWs fault that you can wave your arms inside the car with the alarm armed without it going off?

Or not BMWs fault that you can code ANY BMW key to ANY BMW car in less than 30 seconds, all with the alarm armed?

So who's fault is it that the cars are easily started without the key?

We talking about the ability to re-code a new key with a hacked key change programmer?

Most car manufacturers have this same technology including MB, just no one has hacked them and made these devices available that we know of. As usual the car thieving scum have upped the game.

Anyway BMW have introduced a block to this and carry it out when possible, so have effectively addressed the issue.

We talking about the ability to re-code a new key with a hacked key change programmer?

Most car manufacturers have this same technology including MB, just no one has hacked them and made these devices available that we know of. As usual the car thieving scum have upped the game.

Anyway BMW have introduced a block to this and carry it out when possible, so have effectively addressed the issue.

No, you cannot programme any Mercedes key with any Mercedes car. Once programmed, it cannot be used in another car. With the BMW keys, you programme the car to the key, allowing any key to work with any car.

As for the update, the word is that all it will do is block the comfort access so that you cannot jam a screwdriver into the lock, twist it 90degrees and watch the window wind down.

No, you cannot programme any Mercedes key with any Mercedes car. Once programmed, it cannot be used in another car. With the BMW keys, you programme the car to the key, allowing any key to work with any car.

As for the update, the word is that all it will do is block the comfort access so that you cannot jam a screwdriver into the lock, twist it 90degrees and watch the window wind down.

OK big deal you need a blank un-programmed key to do that with an MB. I will say that even that can be overidden if you really really wanted to.

I'm not trying to defend BMW in any way, I just think that some have un-realistic expectations.

Car companies don't recall things unless the fault is capable of causing serious.....you are going to think injuries or death right?.....No seriously costly law suits (law suits that could cost more than the actual fix).

Of course deaths usually mean that high settlements are involved, so a big motivator to do something about it. Sad but true.

Yes it's a big deal, puts me off buying a BMW seriously.

a year ago work colleague of mine had his e92 M3 stolen from his own house in London, they didnt need the keys.
was never found and I believe a member on here had his 5 series stolen as well, all you need to do is go on the BM forum and see how many cars get stolen.
When I had my m3, I went to the dealer and locked all the keys apart from the 2 I already had and I bought a steering lock for it just in case, don't need to worry about that with my Mercs plus they both have live trackers.

I'm sure BMW CAN do something about this.

Last edited:
Yes it's a big deal, puts me off buying a BMW seriously.

a year ago work colleague of mine had his e92 M3 stolen from his own house in London, they didnt need the keys.
was never found and I believe a member on here had his 5 series stolen as well, all you need to do is go on the BM forum and see how many cars get stolen.
When I had my m3, I went to the dealer and locked all the keys apart from the 2 I already had and I bought a steering lock for it just in case, don't need to worry about that with my Mercs plus they both have live trackers.

I'm sure BMW CAN do something about this.

I am sure I've seen a number of 'My car stolen' type threads on here. Shock horror MB's get stolen too.

Years ago there was a gang who duplicated MB's keys during service and stole same cars later, every system in one way or another is vunerable.

And this issue you are refering to affects (from memory) BMW's made from 2006-2011, and they have blocked this problem, part of the latest software update.

If it has wheels, it can be stolen. Simple!

Apparently in many cases the switch goes faulty/stiff and people then try to lubricate it and its the lubricant that starts to smoke/burn. The manufacturer's fix is to relube the existing switch with some high temperature grease. And presumably replace the ones that have taken on a toasted blancmange appearance? First reports surfaced in the USA IN 2008 evidently with more recent cars unaffected. So many motorists in the UK have been potentially driving around with a "ticking time bomb" in their RAV4, Auris and Yaris doors built between September 2006 and December 2008 . So basically its taken them 4 years to issue a recall. :dk:
I have no problem with manufacturers safety recalls [ not singling out Toyota by the way] its just they seem to ignore some of the more fundamental ones like prematurely braking road springs for which there is overwhelming evidence. Maybe if they spent a few pence more on the components they stick in their cars they wouldn't have to shell out millions of $/£ in issuing recalls. Mind you those sums for that comparison are probably on a different accountants' spreadsheets.:rolleyes:

I am sure I've seen a number of 'My car stolen' type threads on here. Shock horror MB's get stolen too.

Years ago there was a gang who duplicated MB's keys during service and stole same cars later, every system in one way or another is vunerable.

And this issue you are refering to affects (from memory) BMW's made from 2006-2011, and they have blocked this problem, part of the latest software update.

The BMW alarm system was(is) badly designed. It allowed a bad person access to the diagnostic port without setting off the alarm. Said bad person could thus break into the car and drive it away.

Bad person needed £600 and a bit of google to achieve this. Amateur stuff.

BMW ignored this for at least 10 months.

No one else had this problem.

If you have a modern merc with the infra red key, wind your window down, arm the alarm, and put your arms in the car. Don't do it late at night as you won't be popular with your neighbours. Do this on a BMW whenever you like as the alarm won't sound.

BMWs fix is not going to work. As I said earlier, first reports on piston heads is that all it does is disable the comfort settings.

I know of a BMW z4 taken from outside a house in Cambridge in broad daylight in a timeframe of 10mins!!! BMWs attitude has been utter ****e to say the least, I was actually hoping for someone to go and steal the fleet of Olympic vehicles they had supplied, now that would have been a story!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom