Toyota! who'd have one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pluggers

MB Enthusiast
Car
C250 AMG Line Premium Plus. W205
Well actually a mate at work has just bought a 2001 avensis.He was showing me around it,and 2 things that are really obvious were the structual strength of the car or rather lack of it,first one was when lifting the door handle to get in, you could see the door skin moving and being pulled out of shape as you opened the door :eek: ,never seen that before.Then he opened the bonnet,nothing exceptional there.Close the bonnet but it didn't shut correctly,(one of those things you know when you haven't let go soon enough) So he put the palm of his hand over the top where the latch is and pushed down just enough to close it shut.He wont be doing that again in a hurry as when he took his hand away there was a dent the size of his palm :eek: :eek: , right at the front of the bonnet for all to see,Very Poor.

I don't buy Toyota anymore, I've had 3 cars and 2 vans from them, service is right down the pan and the cars just don't inspire me anymore.

2x Landcruisers (first one great, second one crap)
1x Supra TwinTurbo (fast, faster and fastest in a straight line)
2x Hiace Vans (again first one great, second one nothing but problems)

Craig

Looking at a Lexus at the moment ... which is technically a Toyota.

With a considerably superior build quality and solidity to that as you've described.

K

Never owned one, but would have regarded Toyata as better than that - I assumed quality over Nissan etc.

He used to have a nissan almera sport which was absolutly full of problems,rust on the tail gate not covered by the perforation warranty as it had not rusted thro the panel,knocking from the steering coloum (behind the pedal assy)Knocking on the suspenion,not always consistant so could never be found.Rough idleing and misfireing,constant squeeks and rattles from the dash,paint fade,but did get that sorted from dealers,Its mad,he bought the car from new in 1999 and sold it recently cus he was fed up and found out it shares parts or design features of the renault megane( ironed out all the flaws using the nissan almera cars before using it on the megane so he says.

pluggers said:
He used to have a nissan almera sport which was absolutly full of problems,rust on the tail gate not covered by the perforation warranty as it had not rusted thro the panel,knocking from the steering coloum (behind the pedal assy)Knocking on the suspenion,not always consistant so could never be found.Rough idleing and misfireing,constant squeeks and rattles from the dash,paint fade,but did get that sorted from dealers,Its mad,he bought the car from new in 1999 and sold it recently cus he was fed up and found out it shares parts or design features of the renault megane( ironed out all the flaws using the nissan almera cars before using it on the megane so he says.

Apart from that it was Ok then. :D :D

This is surprising as Toyota have consistently done well in the owners surveys, like JD Power at al. I've not driven one for years but would bave expected them to be very good.

Ian.

Dads got a Lexus which has been faultless for 80,000 miles. Dodgy CD changer has been the only prob!

My Dad's on his second lexus IS200 in 4 years, so he's happy.

Craig

IanT said:
This is surprising as Toyota have consistently done well in the owners surveys, like JD Power at al. I've not driven one for years but would bave expected them to be very good.

Ian.

J.D Powers is more concerned with customer satisfaction in the hands of the dealers, and customer perception of the vehicle, than outright reliability.

MB cars always come out lower due to poor dealers and buyers expectations being high, rather than vehicle reliability.

Toyotas are generally reliable because they don't have much fitted that will go wrong. Honestly what other car do you know that has a dipstick for the washer bottle and spring plates on the brakes to warn of worn out pads.

One of my work collegues has a land Cruiser and was not happy to find rust.

Surprised

My wife's current car is a 03 Yaris, it appears quite a tough little runabout. The dash is very grey and very bland but that aside I expect it to last for years. Her previous car was a 99 Corolla, the above applied to that car also.

I must admit that the Micra she had was a bag of nails but I've read threads here of dissatisfied MB owners, so I guess all manufactures can turn out the occasional "Friday Afternoon" car.

sportyreptile said:
I must admit that the Micra she had was a bag of nails

Watch out . . . we have a quite renowned Micra owner on here !!

I'm sure there's a thread somewhere . . . have a search on "Micra AND labotomy" ;)

S.

i would buy a toyota without even thinking about it if i didnt have enough money to keep the mercedes chain going :(

Ooopps!

sym said:
Watch out . . . we have a quite renowned Micra owner on here !!

I'm sure there's a thread somewhere . . . have a search on "Micra AND labotomy" ;)

S.

Have I made a Faux Par? Not back peddling at all but I was very happy with a Primera 2.0 GT I had a few years ago. I was just that Micra that was pants, just the hint of rain the thing refused to start, leaked, if it did start it misfired....... Damn, done it again. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom