Trace Service History

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stuartyboy

Car
2008 c220cdi coupe w203
Hi guys.
Does anyone know the best way to trace Service History? I bought a 2008 c220cdi w203 with no service book. I’ve been into my local dealer in Edinburgh with my v5 and ID, they said there was none on their system, but the car was registered in Exeter and the Scottish database doesn’t link to the English, so there may be some history.
What’s the best way to go about checking.
Thanks

Hi guys.
Does anyone know the best way to trace Service History? I bought a 2008 c220cdi w203 with no service book. I’ve been into my local dealer in Edinburgh with my v5 and ID, they said there was none on their system, but the car was registered in Exeter and the Scottish database doesn’t link to the English, so there may be some history.
What’s the best way to go about checking.
Thanks
The MB Digital Service Book was launched in 2007, so if it was serviced at a dealer (which it would have done, at least for the first few services) then it should show on the MB central computer.

Did they check using the VIN? Checking via the VRM isn't always accurate because private plates can cause confusion.

You can either try another dealer (perhaps the Edinburgh dealer didn't check it correctly), or possibly the car was never serviced by a dealer - rare, but can happen.

EDIT: the car isn't an import, by any chance? Does it have full MOT list online dating all the way back to 2011?

Last edited:
Also - the last year of production for the W203 Saloon was 2007. Is your car a Coupe or CLC (CL203) by any chance?

I find it hard to believe that the MB central database cannot trace the service history of an English registered car.

The MB Digital Service Book was launched in 2007, so if it was serviced at a dealer (which it would have done, at least for the first few services) then it should show on the MB central computer.

Did they check using the VIN? Checking via the VRM isn't always accurate because private plates can cause confusion.

You can either try another dealer (perhaps the Edinburgh dealer didn't check it correctly), or possibly the car was never serviced by a dealer - rare, but can happen.

EDIT: the car isn't an import, by any chance? Does it have full MOT list online dating all the way back to 2011?
Hi, the cars not an import and the mot history does go back to 2011
Thanks for the reply

Also - the last year of production for the W203 Saloon was 2007. Is your car a Coupe or CLC (CL203) by any chance?
Hi, it’s a coupe, not a CLC. It’s on a 57 plate, registered on 11th feb 2008. Perhaps produced in 2007, just not registered until feb 08?
Sorry the photos not great, just took it from the window of my flat
ADB80CEF-E73F-40F0-88AD-B76BC2A883DB.jpeg

Why don't you try ringing MB Exeter; if they were the supplying dealer it's a good bet that they serviced it initially. Of course, they might say 'call in with your documents', which might be an issue.

Car pre dates Digital Service Book.

Car pre dates Digital Service Book.

Are you saying any services carried out by MB in 2009, 2010, 2011 etc would not have been recorded on the Digital Service Book online because the car was built before 2008? I.e., if a car has been originally issued with a paper service book, it will never go on the DSB?

Are you saying any services carried out by MB in 2009, 2010, 2011 etc would not have been recorded on the Digital Service Book online because the car was built before 2008? I.e., if a car has been originally issued with a paper service book, it will never go on the DSB?

Exactly yes, the vehicle would not support DSB.
Let me try for this one....

"Error
The vehicle type is not supported by DSB
"

Exactly yes, the vehicle would not support DSB.
Let me try for this one....

Thanks - that explains it then.

The supplying dealer (Exeter) might be able to produce information regarding the first services if they were done there, and if they keep information on their systems for that long (and if they don't claim privacy issues...).

But the more recent services are unlikely to have been carried-out at a dealer (given that the car is now 13 years old).

If you bought it from a private seller, you can ask them for any service bills. If you bought it from a trader, did you manage to get a glimpse of the previous owner's details on the old V5C? If so you can try writing to them directly (I've done that in the past).

But otherwise.... change everything and start the maintenance regime from scratch:

Inspection
Engine oil and filter (unless the oil looks new)
Air filter (unless looking new)
Fuel filter
Cabin filter
Brake fluid
Engine coolant (unless original 15-year coolant)
ATF or Gear oil

I changed my e class estate in for a newer c class, not at MB though, i am meticulous with keeping all my paperwork and had 13 years worth of history and bills from new, i quite proudly put a folder of all this on the counter when exchanging the car and the garage said we can't pass that on because it has your address on it and its against the law. I love a bit of paperwork but unless you sell it private its no good anymore.

Is my car a CL203? As it’s the coupe? Not a W203

Correct. Though 'W203' is sometimes used as a generic term for all '203' cars.

Hi all,
can anyone help me with obtaining service history for my vehicle, MB Customer Services cannot locate any history for my vehicle at all, I find that hard to believe. I would have thought that the first owner would have at least had it serviced 1-3 times in their ownership. Doesn’t make sense my car is a w212 facelift 2013 reg?

I recently got a print out of U.K. service history of my 2001 CL.
Emailed them with a copy of the V5 and my drive licence (for data protection) and they sent it to me (confirming the service booklet)
No charge for this service.

[email protected]-benz.com

👍

I recently got a print out of U.K. service history of my 2001 CL.
Emailed them with a copy of the V5 and my drive licence (for data protection) and they sent it to me (confirming the service booklet)
No charge for this service.

[email protected]-benz.com

👍
I did exactly that and they came back and said there is no service record for my car in their database.

Maybe it was imported from abroad at some stage?
Ireland, Jersey, Guernsey? Or elsewhere where they drive on the left?
further up it says records may not be visible between England & Scotland databases....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom