Traced the noise at last

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy W

Car
ML 270 cdi
Well at long last I have traced the annoying rumbling and high pitched squeal when drive or reverse is engaged, I removed the auxillary drive belt this afternoon and span the pulleys, the water pump bearing is really rough and rumbley and you can lift the pulley up and down a couple of mm. I at first before removing the belt suspected that the auxillary tensioner pulley was at fault but that seems ok revolving it by hand so I need to change the water pump before diagnosing anything else. A few months ago I imagined that it was the gearbox on its way out as it made the squealing noise when engaging D or R but stopped as soon as you applied revs. Does anyone know how much a water pump, auxillary belt for air cond engine and belt tensioner are for a W202 C180. I dont want to take it in for a service just yet as my paintwork rust claim is still on going from August last year and since complaining to MB UK at Milton Keynes my dealer has submitted a claim finally, so I dont want to jeopardise a claim by having an independant service performed if you see what I mean.

Any prices for parts and part numbers will be appreciated.

Well if you are not claiming for the paint on your motor then I suggest you get yourself some service work done and keep that car going long enough to get its claim. Otherwise you are going to feel about as clever as a man who dies of thirst and then gets washed away in a flood.

Well the tensioner cost me £118 and the belt was £40

se97mlm said:
Well the tensioner cost me £118 and the belt was £40
Them prices seem a little excessive to me, europarts have the parts much cheaper, obviously not genuine parts in a MB box but could be the same components, I must investigate further, I hate getting ripped off. I was recently quoted £145 for a new 100 amp battery for my car, I got the exact same Varta battery locally for £85!

Last edited:
If anyone is interested, a water pump is £148.02 + VAT and a belt is £23.34 + VAT, send your old pump back and you get a credit of £38, absolutely scandelous, contacted my mate who works as a driver at a local motor factors who supply to the trade only, water pump £52, belt £11, parts ordered.

Water pump and belt fitted, an absolutely doddle to fit so no more grinding bearing noise just the high pitched squeal from the belt tensioner while in D or R so that is on the list next, £52 + VAT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom