Tracing an owner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buccal

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLK55 AMG
Is it possible for anyone to trace the address of a car owner purely on a registration plate?

Nothing sinister!!

Is it possible for anyone to trace the address of a car owner purely on a registration plate?

Nothing sinister!!

It really depends on who/what anyone is!!

In theory, yes. But in practice, no. The information is obviously available, but it is not in the public domain. Same as registered mobile phone numbers.........

Doesn't there need to be just cause? The DVLA will release the data to even a mere member of the public (for a fee) but only if they think you ahve a decent valid reason for needing it. So, if you are a private carpark bandit (note - not a proper car park person, they are clearly different, Robert!) then you can apply because you claim the car owner owes you money. But I'm not sure how far the justification goes - I'm not convinced that if I wanted to get hold of a car my dad owned back inthe '60s that DVLA would release the details.

As PXW says, if you have a valid reason then they will give you the info, they used to be a bit more flexible and you could get the details if you just wanted to offer to buy their number plate for example.

But I'm not sure how far the justification goes - I'm not convinced that if I wanted to get hold of a car my dad owned back inthe '60s that DVLA would release the details.

thats exactly the kind of thing i was thinking about!

Last edited:
I'm not convinced that if I wanted to get hold of a car my dad owned back inthe '60s that DVLA would release the details.

That's true, only if you already own the car ,then they provide details of all previous owners for £5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom