Track day - Bruntingthorpe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pammy

MB Enthusiast
Car
hers - slk 320, his - dull diesel BMW fleet :/, Xtrail, Honda CBR 1100xx, Yamaha YZF600, Ribble Road
OK - following the interest that seems to exist for a track day - here's the thread dedicated to the cause.

A track day at Bruntingthorpe - just off the M1 junction 20

Track link

This is just to guage interest, if enough, then we can start to look at timing and cost etc, but Bruntingthorpe seems to have one of the better day rates than most other tracks.

Add your name to the list of you'd be interested, also if you'd have a co driver

Pammy ---co driver - YES

Pammy ---co driver - YES
GrahamC230K ---co driver YES

Pammy ---co driver - YES
Sym --- co driver NO(t at this point!)

yes anytime after early june..

Pammy ---co driver - YES
Sym --- co driver NO(t at this point!)
jaymanek ---No

Pammy ---co driver - YES
GrahamC230K ---co driver NO
Graham's Brother ---co driver NO
Sym --- co driver No(t at this point!)
jaymanek ---No

Pammy ---co driver - YES
jaymanek ---No
rushscored4 ---YES :D

Steve_bcs was also interested I remember

Pammy ---co driver - YES
jaymanek ---No
rushscored4 ---YES :D
Steve_BCS ------ YES

Pammy ---co driver - YES
jaymanek ---No
rushscored4 ---YES
Steve_BCS ------ YES
GregE240 ---co driver -- YES (probably bring the Porker as well)

May also have a colleague with an M5 whos been itching to VMAX it...are we allowing B*Ws?

Actually....usually I organise them with a friend from www.pistonheads.com

This means that we have a wealth of exotic machinery there. I'm more than happy to open it up (if necessary / we all agree) to keep costs down.

Like I said before, you *can* hire it for a morning / afternoon if you wish, meaning we could have a mini GTG before / after. There are some terrific roads around the area too.

Its depends on what everyone wants to do.

Greg

EDIT: Last pics at: http://www.muncher.org.uk/brunters/

Greg

Do several cars race around together ? if so how many at once? Are there many shunts/ accidents ? Is it in fact a race ?

I dont mind blasting round a track to experience how fast my car will go and how it handles as high speed but I'd be worried to death about someone else hurtling round on my tail or jostling for the best line around a bend .

How does it pan out in practice ?

My interest is in a short session - am/pm would be more than adequate. My personal preferance would be to keep it amoungst oursleves so we have an element of trust.

Like I say I would only want a lap or two, or an open airfield area to push the the car beyond the point of breaking grip completely to see where the line is!

That and a few top end runs with some speed measuring equipment would be fun enough for me in one day.

Is this the sort of thing? Steve has covered most of the questions!

Hi folks,

Sorry, I've been at hospital all day having a mole removed...injection just starting to wear off.

To answer your questions:

@ Steve: NO, IT IS NOT A RACE!!
We can either send the cars out one by one leaving sufficient gap, or if we all feel confident enough we can go side by side - the track is about 200 yards wide. The latter is perfectly fine, but stone chipping if your compatriot gets in front of you can be risky. With the Pistonheads boys, we send them out twice one at a time (or ad infinitum if the weather is poor), then we go 2 cars at once. Usually people slow to about 20mph before the runway then hit the loud pedal.
We have never had a crash in 5 all day sessions there. I'm proud of that. One or two breakdons, but no accidents!

@ Graham: No problem with am/pm, I'm easy. Those coming from the south could meet at my place (I'm just off J16 of the M1) and we can convoy up there.
Theres loads of runoff, and its grass at the side of the track. One or two of the bends allow for a large margin of error, so great for finding the breaking point of the tyres!

Hope this clears a few points up.

Greg

PS - oh yes, theres LOADS of braking area!

I got this response to a general enquiry I sent them. -

I asked:
"Can we arrange one of our own, or do we need to join in with one of your pre-arranged days? Would it be possible to negotiate a discount for the club?

"We can offer either, we can arrange a day exclusively for your club or you can have a group included at one of our days.
It all depends on numbers, how many cars do think will be interested in attending?

Also as a club we can offer discount to your members to attend any of our track days, you can have an exclusive group at any of our days."

So it's really down to us - the more the merrier obviously and that makes an MB ClubUK only do more viable, but if it's just a few - then we can join in a normal race day.

Well, I think people should have enough idea to judge if they are intersted or not from Greg and Pammy's info.

Lets, see how many names we get on here. My personal preference would be to keep it MBClub exclusive with a few personal friends to make up numbers if required.

I'm up for it but would prefer to keep it MBClub only if possible (don't want people laughing at a diesel!!)

I presume we do it at our own risk and insurance is not covered?

jimmy said:
I'm up for it but would prefer to keep it MBClub only if possible (don't want people laughing at a diesel!!)

What makes you think we won't laugh ;) :p - In all seriousness, I think you'll be the one grinning somehow though !!

I presume we do it at our own risk and insurance is not covered?

I guess we need to know

1) Whether the track will admit anyone without specific track insurance

2) If they will, then are you prepared to do it at your own risk ?

3) If they won't, what does it cost !

Given Greg's description of how it works, sounds like there is not too much scope for mis-haps, unless self inflicted !!

S.

I'll stick my hand up for this depending on date and format.

Does anyone know if track car hire is an option as I'm not 100% on throwing my car around the track??

Pammy ---co driver - YES
jaymanek ---No
rushscored4 ---YES
Steve_BCS ------ YES
GregE240 ---co driver -- YES (probably bring the Porker as well)
Lotusmark---non driving passenger

Last edited:
sym said:
What makes you think we won't laugh ;) :p - In all seriousness, I think you'll be the one grinning somehow though !!

I guess we need to know

1) Whether the track will admit anyone without specific track insurance

2) If they will, then are you prepared to do it at your own risk ?

3) If they won't, what does it cost !

Given Greg's description of how it works, sounds like there is not too much scope for mis-haps, unless self inflicted !!

S.
Answers:

1) Yes. You don't need crash helmets either.
2) Aside from a couple of "offs" in poor weather, I have never known anyone to suffer body damage to their car. This is in 4 visits to Bruntingthorpe with cars capable of 200mph.
3) If you really want track insurance, expect it to cost around £100 - £150 for the day. But you don't need it.

When we get there (assuming its just us) we'll do a familiaristion lap of the track and point out a few things, then its back to the start / finish and away we go...

Sounds Good, thanks for answering the questions.

I think I have track insurance on my policy for the Aston but the excess jumps to £1k .

I prefer to keep it MB club only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom