track day / driving experience gift

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

talbir

MB Enthusiast
All

I'm choosing a gift for a friend (my boss !) - has to be a car day out.

What is the best suggestion pelase ?

I was thinking :

- Palmer Sports Day

- MB track day

- Brands Hatch day

Any better suggestions please ?

budget is 1k.

much appreciated in advance.

ta
t

Having done a couple of the Palmer Motorsport days at Bruntingthorpe a few years ago, I'd say go with that. Excellent organisation, great instructors and plenty of driving time with no limits :thumb:

Palmer Sports day without a doubt, I have done most of them and instructed at quite a few, red letter day type events but anytime I visit Bedford aerodrome the experience is head and shoulders above the rest, have to say beats Brooklands, Silverstone or Brand Hatch hands down.

Your boss is certainly a lucky person think the best I have ever had is a bottle of Barolo :D

Palmer Sport is very good, simply because of the variety. When I went (some years back) we drove:
  • single seater (formula Vauxhall I think)
  • Elise
  • Caterham
  • race-tuned V6 Golf
  • HGV & trailer
  • twin-engined kart
  • Ford Maverick (?) round a full off-road course including wading & a see-saw
  • CLK
  • SLK
  • E class (?) skid pan car
A very full day! No speed or rpm limiters either - the instructors really encouraged you to go for it :)

At the time they didn't do individual bookings (only corporate groups), but that may have changed.

Friend drives a w211 E55 AMG.

I also did the Plamer Sports Day and my only issue with it was the variety means there is too short a time in each car - by the time one adjusts, it's time to move on.

cheers
talbir

I also did the Plamer Sports Day and my only issue with it was the variety means there is too short a time in each car - by the time one adjusts, it's time to move on.

cheers
talbir

They also run courses (or did) other than the sports day where you can just have a one car or a couple of cars experience they used to do this a lot with the caterham superlights for people that wanted to learn tailout slidey car control, so might be wortha phone call or email to check whats available other than the sports day?

Blimey I hope a few of you are sharing the cost.. I would never have spent 1K on my boss!

cheers
talbir

Yes, granted. However, the sheer variety of driving experience keeps the interest up. I went on a corporate freebie with a law firm, and the partner had the misfortune to have to do the palmersport day numerous times. Interestingly he reckoned his times on the various events was not improving even with lots of visits - but he was thinking that an extended session with his own 911 might be worthwhile.

How about if you arrange a holiday for him on your expenses like Nurburging and maybe you can get Sabine to do a few laps with him.Since he has a nice car,he should have some fun

Very interesting...the boss of the man with 10 Mercs only has one...:devil:

Yeah, but he's a multi-millionaire, an executive director on the Board of one of the top ten insurance companies worldwide..... who can buy any car or number of cars on the planet he chooses....:)

cheers
talbir

Palmer. Brilliant day. Plus you get to spin and crash someone elses Porsche.

Palmer again. Went in October and loved it. There are GPS restrictors active on the cars if you veer too far off the line onto rumble strips so they are not entirely limitless.

I agree with the comment that you don't quite get long enough in any of the cars - we seemed to change session just as I was getting the hang of each one.

Also did a few laps with an instructor driving a Jaguar JP1, just shows how talentless the rest of us were.....

Funny looking former F1 car - what did it 'used to be'?

Couldnt say , but it's an illustration of what must be the ultimate car day, when I went it was " Oh my ****" when I put my foot down!!:bannana:

Way beyond anything Ive ever experienced:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom