Track Day - Engine/Car Prep

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

db1

Hi,

I am about to take my SL55 on its first track day to explore a little of the potential of this great car. Is there any advice about any precautions I should take re: oil (apart from the checking of levels etc) or anything else?

So far, the car has done around 2500 miles, so nothing has been done apart from PDI.

I am not planning to thrash it at all, merely to drive fast legally, so I guess it won't stress it too much.

Any other recommendations welcomed.

thanks

DB

foot to the floor and enjoy it! ;)

There's not really a lot that you need to do. They are ready to go as they stand. I took my CL round Goodwood for a few laps (wasn't planning too, the chance came whilst I was there) and I just got in it and thrashed it for 6 or so laps and it went like a dream, no brake fade, and they drove home, no problems.

DB1,

Put your tyres up to the high-speed pressures (at least) or they'll wear on the outside edges.

Don't forget to reduce them back to the "pottering" levels after..........

great - i am hoping that an AMG is built for this sort of thing so I am not expecting any issues except a large tyre bill sooner rather than later....

BTW: I am going with RMA Motorsport to Bedford Autodrome..anyone been there with them or have any other comments. They look like a good outfit.

There must be a few other enthusiasts that fancy a little blast now and again...we should consider trying to do a Merc only event, I wonder what take up would be...

thoughts anyone?

Boys, I'd love to do this and Goodwood is relativly close to Woking

Matt, would like some info from you on this. I'll PM you.

Cheers.:bannana:

Yeah, i'd be up for it. I also have a twin turbo Z that we got just for that purpose of thrashing round a track - but i'd be up for a Merc only event too.

what do you do for track day insurance. I just tried to organise some for the SL, they wanted £780 for the day!!! Needless to say, it looks like the track day may be off after all...

I wonder if you can rent an old airfield or something for an hour or two!

Otherwise maybe an old Subaru WRX, Evo or 911 might be the thing..

Originally posted by db1
what do you do for track day insurance. I just tried to organise some for the SL, they wanted £780 for the day!!! Needless to say, it looks like the track day may be off after all...

That's why we bought the 300ZX! If we smash it up it's not a great loss, hence it's not insured for track days as the cost of cover compared to the car is not worth it.

I risked it when I took my CL out there, and the track was empty anyway. If there was just a few of us then I woudn't bother with insurance either, however if it's a 'proper' organised track day with 20+ cars out there it's a different matter :(

agreed - however it is the latter, actually more like 50. However the track is huge - I have been on it before so with sensible driving it is probably OK - trouble is you never can predict that. I am having 2nd thoughts I must say...might as well just do a normal Johathan Palmer day....

Heres one I saw earlier .............at Trax 2 years ago

bent_porsche1.jpg

You cant go round Copse that quick in a road car!

Mark

P.S. He only had £9k track insurance

Oooooops

ok - but I guess this was sort of "self inflicted". I assume he went into the barrier.. at least at Bedford you are "limited" to someone driving into you since there are no barriers to hit...still I think I might pop along and see how it is organised first, there are other events. I will probably take the Volvo estate so I don't get tempted...

IF you really really want to do it ......

£780 is less that £78,000 for a new one :crazy:

That Porsche would definitely have been expensive to repair ... but this might have cost a tad more ... :rolleyes:

before1.jpg

before2.jpg

before3.jpg

tracks1.jpg

tracks2.jpg

after1.jpg

after2.jpg

after3.jpg

Ouch!

Cheers

Andrew

Originally posted by db1

I know my car isnt what you might call really fast, but I would be covered on my road policy, from Tesco.

Exclusions which may apply are :
(i) use for racing, competitions, rallies or trials
(ii) Use for hiring
(iii) Use for any purpouse in connection with the motor trade.

Also, Use in any area where there may be aircraft, hence airstrips aren't any good.

However I am covered for Social, Domestic, Pleasure and Business use including sales.

Track days are simply put social domestic pleasure!!! :D

wow that is a mega smash. Did you find out what happened? It looks to me like Brands. But again (he says optimistically) this car hit the barrier. Bedford doesn't have those...just run off. However...in terms of my track day - I see it disappearing over the horizon....

I Know your position Dave, when I got my car I wanted to take it to the track, but was not sure what to do. So we bought the 300ZX and took that to the track days and found out which ones were good and which weren't. I then started to take both the 300 and my CL (dad drove the 300 there). Then, when the time was right and no one was about, slip the organisers £30 (easytrack are good for this! )and ask if it's possible to just 'slip out' onto the track with the other car. (as long as both cars are not out its OK).

This is what I done at goodwood, took the 300, and then slipped the guy £30 and took the CL for a blast, with no one on the track (lunch break time) and didn't have to worry about the others.

Also done the same at brands.

Yes, thats a good idea - how about we go together on the 22nd March , you take the 300 ZX. I can get you details of the event and we can work on the costs. If the track density/behaviour look reasonable I will venture out as you say....if not I will watch you!! :) .

Should be OK - Have to get the 300 taxed as it run out in December (only use it for track days). I'll e-mail you over the weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom