Track Days

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Have a look at some of the videos on YouTube absolutely horrendous. Good cars being wrecked.
High performance cars with low performance drivers. 👎

Have a look at some of the videos on YouTube absolutely horrendous. Good cars being wrecked.
Are you still allowed to remove your car and put it in a nearby ditch for insurance purposes ?

Asking for a friend.

Have you thought of doing an AMG driving day at Brooklands?

i-NQbJhwn-X3.jpg

kc

Sadly no real decent track near me

Used to race bikes at Knockhill but, in truth, it’s a crap track for cars as the straights are too short and the cambers are a bit weird.

The track was much more fun before the sanitised the area around ‘Scotsman’

Have you thought of doing an AMG driving day at Brooklands?

i-NQbJhwn-X3.jpg

kc
Brooklands is the reason I bought myself an AMG. This thread also inspired me to ask if there was any way we could take our own cars on their circuit, email sent. Will update if I hear back.

This was a big problem when I used to do track days with my TVR group. We became very fussy who we shared a track with and eventually settled on not going out for the first 15 minutes of the day and last 15 minutes before lunch and end of day. First 15 minutes got the idiots sorted or black flagged and last 15 minutes got you to the front of queue for lunch and away from the "one last chance to better my time" brigade.

Well said Yex, exactly what I used to do, I also preferred "one make" track days as opposed to anyone and everyone days. Always seemed to be surrounded by £500 Carlos Fandango cars!!
kc

As kcsun ^^ says , the people having the most fun seem to be those with the least to lose on the track . i was at one years ago and there were 2 lads in a battered Vauxhall saloon , I think it was a GSi of some sort and going pretty quick. Everyone with a decent car gave them a wide berth that day.

An acquaintance of mine has a bunch of mates who share 2 ten year old Seat Leon's between them , they are tuned up more than a bit (stock about 180 bhp) these things fly around the track . Cheap thrills.

It doesn't even have to be idiots who cause problems, sometimes it's just not your day. I did a Porsche Club GB day at Oulton years ago, and watched an older air-cooled race car let go of an oil line on the start finish straight - lots of flames!! Shame was the poor sod behind him in a 993 Turbo hit the oil, span round 180 degrees and took the passenger side out on the concrete pit wall.

Nothing he could have done to avoid it, and I'm not sure the driver of the race car would have accepted much blame either.....

As kcsun ^^ says , the people having the most fun seem to be those with the least to lose on the track . i was at one years ago and there were 2 lads in a battered Vauxhall saloon , I think it was a GSi of some sort and going pretty quick. Everyone with a decent car gave them a wide berth that day.

An acquaintance of mine has a bunch of mates who share 2 ten year old Seat Leon's between them , they are tuned up more than a bit (stock about 180 bhp) these things fly around the track . Cheap thrills.
I totally get that, as in have a car just for track days. But some people seem to do it with there pride and joy.😭

We go to Goodwood. Fast circuit and loads of fun. There is not much run off so drive carefully.

We have built our own track weapon for this. I am just getting a new engine for it..... we have blown up two.

If you go in a heavy car, make sure the brake fluid has been done recently. Mercs love to boil their fluid. I did a set of tyres and discs and pads on my C43 at Goodwood. Was great fun but costly.

A car club I'm a member of has just booked castle Combe for later in the year. Was thinking about going but I only have a C250 diesel saloon. Never been on a proper track day and obviously wouldn't be able to smash any lap times but do you think it would still be worth having a go for a good day out?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This , from Olly (Black55) look closely and you can see the lack of run off area if you get it wrong at Coombe :eek:. Those 2 chicanes are a relatively new addition to the track, before they were added it was just bonkers . The field in the middle used to be farmed , there is footage out there of lost race car drivers trying to find their way out of the tall crops during the race ! priceless.

Did the 'ring on a tourist day in my first cobra, quite enjoyable but hard to do a decent lap due the other vehicles on track at the same time. I also did a full day at Spa, really enjoyed that as it as open pit and a lot less busy than the ring. In fact I think Spa is probably my favourite track and I've done most of the UK ones. Go for it, you'll have fun!
Picture of me going up L'eau Rouge15(1).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom