Track rod causing steering wheel vibration?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steadyeddie

Car
Mercedes CLK 320 W208
Went to get my front wheels balanced on the weekend due to a steering wheel wobble between 60 and 80 mph. However, upon further inspection it turns out there is some play in the right near-side wheel. The movement is left to right rather than up and down and I was told I'd need a new track rod at a cost (inc fitting) of £170 for the genuine mercedes part.

Couple of questions:

1). Could this movement cause the wheel vibrations I've been experiencing?
2). Does the price I have been quoted seem reasonable?

Thanks

Ed

Buy the part for less than £20 and do it yourself. It could cause vibration at the steering wheel.

BTW...what is the "right nearside"??? On a right hand drive car, the nearside is on the left. The offside is on the right.

Oops sorry meant offside! Do you know where I could find the correct part number? Couldn't find it on Euro Car Parts

Excuse my ignorance but is there a difference between the track rod and track rod end?

Yes, A track rod end is just the end part. The track rod is the complete arm that screws into the rack.

Excuse my ignorance but is there a difference between the track rod and track rod end?

The track rod end is the ball joint end (the bit that wears) that screws on to the track rod.

Earlier this year I had the whole drag link assembly replaced. Does the drag link include the track rods or are they a separate part altogether?

As above, no and yes.

No, the drag link (maybe the drop link in actual fact) is connected to the anti roll bar, and is a common failure on your car.

Yes, the track rod end and the "drag" link are nothing to do with each other. The track rod end, connects to the track rod, which connects to the steering rack.

Find your car in here, and have a look:

http://www.auto-parts.spb.ru/cat/cats/m.mycat?cat=mb&client=dr2000

Usually vibration is caused by bad tyres-specially at those speeds.
On my car had everything replaced on suspension as per recomendation of a garage-was the same.
Changed tyres for non budget-perfect

Is this what I should be looking at?

It's probably me being an idiot but I cannot find a 'track rod' for a w208 clk.

Link attached

http://www.auto-parts.spb.ru/cat/cats/m.mycat?Form
m.mycat

Last edited:
As above, no and yes.

No, the drag link (maybe the drop link in actual fact) is connected to the anti roll bar, and is a common failure on your car.

Yes, the track rod end and the "drag" link are nothing to do with each other. The track rod end, connects to the track rod, which connects to the steering rack.

Find your car in here, and have a look:

Ìîäåëü

The drag link is not connected to the anti-roll bar, and is connected to the track rod end, (no drop links on a 208).
The CLK does not have a Steering Rack, it has the drag link which connects the O/S and N/S wheels and is also connected to the steering column via. the steering box, the drag link is supported by the idler arm.
If the O/P has had his drag link assembly replaced this should of included the track rod ends as well.

Last edited:
The links to separate pages do not work. But they call it, Joint, ball joint. Part number A001 330 77 35.

This is on page 46 steering, sub-section 120, steering linkage, part number 6 in the diagram.

The drag link is not connected to the anti-roll bar, and is connected to the track rod end, (no drop links on a 208).
The CLK does not have a Steering Rack, it has the drag link which connects the O/S and N/S wheels and is also connected to the steering column via. the steering box, the drag link is supported by the idler arm.
If the O/P has had his drag link assembly replaced this should of included the track rod ends as well.

So...they will not replacing again.

Thanks guys, I'll try replacing the ball joints and let you know if it solves the problem!

Hi

Do not replace anything until you are sure which part the movement is in.

Raise the front of the car and have someone hold their hand on each joint as you catch a wheel and move from side to side. You will feel a looseness if it is there. Try to do this at the straight ahead position as there will be movement when the wheel is off the dead ahead position but this is normal on steering box/idle arm cars.

Once you have identified the worn joint replace it.

Remember it could be a loose wheel bearing too.

Hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom