Track Rod End replacement - DIY Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr. shr

MB Enthusiast
Hi All,
Today, for the first time ever, I've had an MOT failure!!

Offside track rod end has excesive play on my S211.

Looks quite straight forward a job. Is it?
Any tips please? I.e. count the number of turns for removal and then apply same number of turns when screwing on new one?

Do I need a special tool for removing the old ball joint or inserting the new one?

Thanks for any pointers you could give.
shr.

Hi, You will need a ball joint splitter to remove the track rod end.
You can mark the original track rod end with a dab of quick drying paint on the thread
then screw the new one up to the paint mark. Hope this helps.

Hi,
Ball joint splitter is good if you have one, but it can be done with just a heavy hammer and a few well aimed hits with it, I have never used a splitter and always have used this method.

I don't have a splitter so was hoping that it would be possible without.
How much are the splitters anyway? Is it worth just getting one anyway?

And does the new one just push in or is there a tool for that too?

Hellfrauds do a couple of versions.
One for 12 pounds and one for 22 pounds.

Are these any good for our cars or are these only really meant for old school Fords, Vauxhall etc?

Check new and old TR ends are identical. (The length from ball centre to screwed end.)
If not, make allowance for the difference.

Try to be as accurate as possible, as this affects the cars toe in.

Check new and old TR ends are identical. (The length from ball centre to screwed end.)
If not, make allowance for the difference.

Try to be as accurate as possible, as this affects the cars toe in.

How do I do this?
Do I count the number of turns when I take the old one off?
Or paint dab/masking tape to indicate location of existing position before removal?

(I'm sure I saw Ed China count the number of turns at removal and then applied same number of turns when fitting the new one).

Also, will the new joint just push in by hand?

Paint the old one prior to removal. Hold old and new ones together, measure any difference from centre of pivot to end of thread. If there is none, put the new one on up to the paint line.

If there is a difference, you need to mark that measurement in the appropriate direction from your paint mark, then put the new part up to that new mark.

This is just to ensure that the pivot point remains in the same place as on the old one.

Chances are the parts will be identical, though.

So the paint mark goes on the main track rod?
Then offer up the new rod end to see if it lines up with the paint mark?

Sykes Pickavant do a good range. http://sykes-pickavant.com/Portals/...nsion - Ball Joint Separators & Splitters.pdf

When you replace it--- its inserted into the arm end and basically pulled into place when you tighten the self locking nut [ they used to use castellated nuts and split pins but no longer]You may have to stop the ball +threaded pin rotating in the ball joint when you tighten the nut but there is usually an allen key socket at the end of the threaded section to help you stop this rotation using a long allen key . Final "tweak up" with a torque wrench+socket to the recommended torque. Its a simple job with experience but since steering is involved you got to know what you are doing.

Well I believe I have all the tools. (Bought the cheaper tool from Helfrauds as I think that one is better where space in limited.

"Looks" like an easy job, but as you say it's all about experience.
It's certainly the know-how that's missing, but that's where you guys come in.
There's probably all the info I need in this thread already, but I do like to ask a lot of questions to make sure I do it right.
Will take if for tracking at my regular typre place after fitting.

So, to recap:
Pop out joint from knuckle,
Undo locking nut,
Dab of paint on the track rod to mark location for new rod end,
Unscrew old rod end,
Screw on new rod end to the paint mark,
Lock the locking nut,
Push joint into knuckle and torque up.

Is that a fair summary?

OK great.
Just one other thing:

Should I really use paint on the main track rod?
Wouldn't I be better off using a piece of insulation tape or something, to mark the location?

OK thanks guys.

Won't it be easier to lossen the lock nut first, than mark up the track rod end, than pop out the joint?

Maybe, yes?
Suppose it would be better to loosen the lock nut whilst the other end is still firmly attached to knuckle.

Won't it be easier to lossen the lock nut first, than mark up the track rod end, than pop out the joint?

Good thinkin` but make sure track rod doesn`t rotate before the paint dab. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom