Tracker or RAC Trackstar +

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dagd

Car
SLK230
Hello all,

I know that there has been some discusion on Tracking devices before, but I'm considering having one installed in my SLK. My question is, does anyone have any experience of the Tracker or RAC Trackstar+ the Tracker seems slightly cheaper by about £30, but the RAC Trackstar+ has an option called Safespeed, which gives an audible warning when you are approaching a fixed speed camara. I'm wonderiing if it's worth spending slighly more for the RAC Trackstar+ and paying the extra £96 per year for Safespeed is this effective? I'm assuming that the camara details are updated and downloaded periodically, can't tell from the website. Anyone had experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

I've had both - though not with the gps speed detector which is fairly useless I would think. They were already fitted to the cars so I have no idea of the difference in installation costs.

RAC Trackstar could do with a lesson in customer service. My Tracker subscription is cheaper (I have Tracker Monitor) and they set everything up straight away - no problem changing ownership or registration - new certificate in 2 days.

Installtion costs are much the same, as is the annual subscription, just wondered is the RAC Safety camera (GPS) was worth the extra 96 quid a year.

thanks

The question might just be...

Do YOU want your car recovered if it is stolen or is it your INSURANCE company that want it back?

(ok, also the Camera extras too).

You might consider the experience of folks who have had their cars nicked before fitting a tracker (unless it is a requirement of your insurance).

Cheers

:rolleyes:

Swiss Toni said:
The question might just be...

Do YOU want your car recovered if it is stolen or is it your INSURANCE company that want it back?

(ok, also the Camera extras too).

You might consider the experience of folks who have had their cars nicked before fitting a tracker (unless it is a requirement of your insurance).

Cheers

:rolleyes:

I'm happy - boy racers don't steal SLs - organised criminals do - usually to sell on. One thing I was very impressed with - i got a phone call to say my car was on an industrial estate and did I know - I did as it was having some stonechips seen to but obviously the area was flagged on their system to query it. For a deterrrent and peace of mind I'm happy to pay the money.

stats007 said:
I'm happy - boy racers don't steal SLs - organised criminals do - usually to sell on. One thing I was very impressed with - i got a phone call to say my car was on an industrial estate and did I know - I did as it was having some stonechips seen to but obviously the area was flagged on their system to query it. For a deterrrent and peace of mind I'm happy to pay the money.

Professional criminals can easily detect/locate the actual tracking "black box" devise. Top end cars are stolen to order and quickly taken out of the country or stripped for parts immediately.

There are approximately 30/31 posisble locations that the devise can be fitted on any car by the installers BUT there are primairly 7 popuar locations that are used for installation out of the possible 31... ;) Organsied crimnal gangs have this info/knowledge from the "inside" and it is piece of cake for them to locate/remove the tracking devise. Its impossible to miss the actual black box when trying to spot it.

As soon as the car is moved it is triggered silently so they wont get very far - or are they going to dismantle it in my garage? It's the trackers that rely on owner notification of a theft that run the risk.

Professional gangs can have up to i.e. 8 people or more simultaneously looking for the devise and can very quickly locate it. Criminal gangs can take cars from anywhere - how would your tracking company know that your car has been taken away by the criminals and is beig stripped? Surely, Tracker (for example) dont contact you after every single journey you make to see if your car has been stolen and is not in your custody?

Flash said:
Professional gangs can have up to i.e. 8 people or more simultaneously looking for the devise and can very quickly locate it. Criminal gangs can take cars from anywhere - how would your tracking company know that your car has been taken away by the criminals and is beig stripped? Surely, Tracker (for example) dont contact you after every single journey you make to see if your car has been stolen and is not in your custody?

No expert, but I think the gist of it is...

The cheaper systems rely on the owner alerting the tracking company. That's why the more sophisticated systems are preferred by insurance companies - IIRC you keep a transmitter on your person independantly of the keys (ie not on the keyring). If the vehicle moves without the transmitter then there is an alert and follow-up call. I think some have sensors that trigger if lifted/bumped as part of a low-loader style theft too.

Bobby Dazzler said:

The cheaper systems rely on the owner alerting the tracking company. That's why the more sophisticated systems are preferred by insurance companies - IIRC you keep a transmitter on your person independantly of the keys (ie not on the keyring). If the vehicle moves without the transmitter then there is an alert and follow-up call. I think some have sensors that trigger if lifted/bumped as part of a low-loader style theft too.

Thanks mate - I had never heard of this kind of system before... I am interested in finding out more info on it.

Not RAC tracker.

I have a METASAT system installed in my SLK. The unit has is tied into the alarm system on my car and notifies of my car alarm being activated, by sending a text to my mobile phone. Included in the the text are various details including, location and status of vehicle(ie. moving). From my mobile, I can then disable the car so that when the engine is next shutdown it will not start again. For legal reasons it is not allowed to be setup to shutdown the engine while it is running, possibility of being sued by said theif I was told.

The two main reasons for this system were, 1. Being notified of the car theft immediately and being able to act on that information immediately, 2.Only running cost is a monthly sim card subscription is required for the unit in the car.

When my system was installed it wasn't listed on insurance websites, but on the METASAT website it is listed as Thatcham approved.

http://www.metasystem.co.uk/index.php/msy_eng_en/content/view/full/317

BUT if they have your car keys then it will not be much good will it?

Its a seperate device - but what do you expect? A personal bodyguard fighting people off with a stick? At some point you have to take rersponsibility for your own property.

Flash said:
BUT if they have your car keys then it will not be much good will it?

No, it won't. But with some of the Trackers you have to find out first that your car has been stolen, then notify them so that they can then find the location of the vehicle and pass on the details to the police.

The system I have takes them out of the loop, and if the alarm is by-passed when you do realise your car has been stolen you can still use your modile to shutdown the car engine or find the location of the vehicle.

Not saying the system is infallable, but did find that the running costs were a lot less than Tracker with the same level of cover.

stats007 said:
Its a seperate device - but what do you expect? A personal bodyguard fighting people off with a stick? At some point you have to take rersponsibility for your own property.

:rolleyes: My point is that no matter what secutiry system you have the Criminal Gangs will ALWAYS get to your car if they want too and i perosnally would not bother investing in such a system as:

1). I would not want my car back again if recovered after theft

2). Waste of money

:)

BillyD. said:
No, it won't. But with some of the Trackers you have to find out first that your car has been stolen, then notify them so that they can then find the location of the vehicle and pass on the details to the police.

The system I have takes them out of the loop, and if the alarm is by-passed when you do realise your car has been stolen you can still use your modile to shutdown the car engine or find the location of the vehicle.

Not saying the system is infallable, but did find that the running costs were a lot less than Tracker with the same level of cover.

Thanks for explaning... :)

Bobby Dazzler said:

»TRACKER Retrieve
Once you realise that your vehicle has been stolen, you notify the police and the TRACKER 24 hour control room.TRACKER then activate the unit and the Police begin to track the stolen vehicle using on board tracking computers fitted to patrol cars and police helicopters.

»TRACKER Monitor
This system incorporates a movement detector where the unit actually senses the theft of the vehicle and automatically alerts TRACKER Network. In turn TRACKER will contact you for confirmation of the probable theft. Once
confirmed, the police begin to track the vehicle.

»TRACKER Horizon
TRACKER Horizon works in the same way as TRACKER Monitor, but also incorporates a satellite-location device. The benefit of this dual technology means that the stolen vehicle can be instantly located on computer based maps by operators in TRACKER’s 24 hour control room. The police are then directed to the vicinity of the stolen vehicle where they then use proven
land based radio technology to locate the vehicle, wherever it may be hidden.

Source: http://www.tracker.co.uk/misc/brochures/VehicleTheft.pdf

Flash said:
:rolleyes: My point is that no matter what secutiry system you have the Criminal Gangs will ALWAYS get to your car if they want too and i perosnally would not bother investing in such a system as:

1). I would not want my car back again if recovered after theft

2). Waste of money

:)

That's just a defeatist attitude, and quite frankly stupidity.

stats007 said:
That's just a defeatist attitude, and quite frankly stupidity.

I dont agree with your post/opinion and am going to leave it at that!!! I am NOT a "defeatist or stupid"!!!

After all, I'm NOT the one paying for a tracking devise that will NOT gurantee to prevent my car from being stolen/recovered...:rolleyes:

How many people here would want their cars back if recovered after theft out of interest?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom