Tracker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vik MB

Car
W213 E63S Premium
Looking for new tracking device for my car and just came a cross Tracker Plus for Mercedes powered by Tracker. Not many tracking devices are working with GPS/GSM & VHF signal in one. So pretty good on paper.

Has anyone fitted one of these before? And if yes, Is it worth?

What price is it?

I bought a tracker that I installed myself runs on GPS and GSM costs £4 a month and I can track my vehicle set geo fences and generate reports if I need to.

Big difference compared to yours. The unit price is about £760 but I have found one for £299. Not sure if its worth when you can do same for less

Just come across this thread as I will be fitting some sort of tracking device to our vehicle.

I am no techno wizard but like our current vehicle, this car will have a dedicated telephone which I believe is called a smart phone. I am mentioning this because I believe the MBUX system can act like a tracking device?? (definitely a question.

Bottom line is I contacted an insurance broker today, got the scare of my life with the quote but they insist the car has a tracking device.

What one do the techno boys and gals recommend please?

I'd avoid tracker network if it were me, they're pretty useless in my opinion.
If this tracker is for insurance purposes, then they'll mostly likely want something that's monitored, and approved for SVR.

I'd avoid tracker network if it were me, they're pretty useless in my opinion.
If this tracker is for insurance purposes, then they'll mostly likely want something that's monitored, and approved for SVR.
Hi Shaun
Thank you very much for the reply.

Yes, it is for insurance purposes although they have not stipulated the type or if it is monitored but I guess we should do this. Can you recommend any type of system please?

Hi Shaun
Thank you very much for the reply.

Yes, it is for insurance purposes although they have not stipulated the type or if it is monitored but I guess we should do this. Can you recommend any type of system please?
Sure.
I can recommend this one.
My own car came from Mercedes with the tracker network unit already installed, but in my time its never worked, and tracker networks customer service is abysmal, well that's my experience anyway.
I tried contacting them to get it sorted (Mercedes paid the 1 year subscription and transferred the tracked into my name)
Tracker network said they got some alerts and said the unit needed attention as something wasn't right.
Two weeks of chasing resulted in getting nowhere.

My own insurance company at the time stated that a tracker was required, but never started a type, just that it should be monitored for SVR purposes.
I did some research, found a company local to myself that supplied and fitted trackers, I explained that I needed a tracker for insurance purposes.

They recommended the below unit, and I must say Smartrack's customer service has been fantastic, they call me from time to time as something must alert them.
Last time I was getting a battery replaced by Mercedes, they were on the phone to me about 10 mins after the Mercedes technician took the car into the workshop asking if there was something wrong.

By the way, seems some insurance companies accept Mercedes Me as an acceptable tracker.
I wouldn't trust it though.

Hi Shaun,
Thank you very much for the link.

I see that site has 'A duration of ownership' price that would be ideal for us.

I am going to have a huge learning curve regarding all the electronic gizzmos fitted to a modern car, including this 'Mercedes Me' My wife will be the sole driver but I need to teach her how to use the gadgets from my bed and if she gets anything wrong, you can guess who will get the blame :)

glojo,

Assuming that your car will be the same as a UK car then you will have all you need plus some you probably do not!! :)

Capture.JPG

I just hope the manual has lots of pictures :) It was going to be a Dutch manual but that has been changed to an English one but will that English manual be double Dutch? :)

I have to say that the insurance company were happy with the Land Rover tracker and now also the Mercedes one.

I do not see why you need to spend money for something that already is built into the car. It's early days for the Mercedes but the 3 years with the Land Rover one were fine.
It was obviously working because they would always call me when I forgot to disable it while on the train going through the Euro-tunnel! :oops:

I have to say that the insurance company were happy with the Land Rover tracker and now also the Mercedes one.

I do not see why you need to spend money for something that already is built into the car. It's early days for the Mercedes but the 3 years with the Land Rover one were fine.
It was obviously working because they would always call me when I forgot to disable it while on the train going through the Euro-tunnel! :oops:
I'll be honest, I wouldn't like to reply on Mercedes Me.
There have been many times in the past where you can't get into the app, either because the service is down, or is undergoing maintenance.
But if the insurance company say they're happy with it, then what more can you do, as lets be honest the only time you'll need to use it is if the car is stolen, which probably isn't going to be the case.

I switched my insurance to a different provider last week, and they didn't even ask if it had a tracker.

Hi Shaun,
Thank you very much for the link.

I see that site has 'A duration of ownership' price that would be ideal for us.

I am going to have a huge learning curve regarding all the electronic gizzmos fitted to a modern car, including this 'Mercedes Me' My wife will be the sole driver but I need to teach her how to use the gadgets from my bed and if she gets anything wrong, you can guess who will get the blame :)
No problem, happy to help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom