Trackers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
My car lives on the drive.

The area is ok but the road connects two suburbs and accesses the local park, so there's traffic and footfall past the house.

The car does stand out a bit and is clearly visible, being in a slightly elevated position and sideways on to the road.

My previous car had a Tracker Monitor, but I've heard of other notification/tracking systems that would alert me should the worst happen.

I'd like to know it's going/gone and where to.

Do panel members have any product recommendations please?

Well, it will be in a covered truck on it's way to sit on my driveway away from any footfall !!!

That's not really practical C, and, of course, it could just as well disappear from elsewhere.

I just wanted to see if Tracker has been superseded by anything.

Just keep the bodies in the back, that's a good enough deterent

:D I wonder if I'll hit double figures before someone provides some useful info.

Are trackers susceptible to gsm blockers used by many car thieves?

Was reading up on self fit trackers which use payg SIM cards and this seems to be a big weakness. This kit seems to be part of your average criminal's toolkit these days.

Must admit the onky one I've heard of/used is Tracker itself but ther seems to be a few on here Smartrack Insurance Approved Tracking.
I guess with all the GPS gizmo's about there must be something that suits your needs and the prices seem a bit cheaper than when I had a Tracker fitted in 1998 ( over £850)

If your an existing customer I think Tracker will fit a new monitor on your car for about £150 and you just carry on with your subs

Last edited:
Don't waste your money all types of trackers can be defeated or rendered useless within seconds, remind me at the breakfast run and I'll show you how they do it. They are effective against the joy rider and casual theif and some cars do get recovered but against the professional thief they are useless so much so that the cops report tracker activations dropping massively.

Last edited:
Does that include Tracker Ian?

It certainly does I didn't believe it until I was shown on the tracker fitted to my old Seat Leon Cupra, I fitted that one myself so no one could possibly have known where it was and I went to great lengths to make sure yet in 24 seconds it was rendered totally useless by £17 of electronics from Maplin. That one was based on VHF but the GPS and GSM ones are just as easy to defeat. Never fitted another tracker since. However if all you want to do is know where your car is at any particular point in time or if it is on the move when you don't expect it to be theres ways of doing that cheaply although not legal in the UK ;) but if a pro thief is checking for devices they will find that too.

Ok, let's discuss over a kipper tie on Sunday :cool:.

Mine came with Tracker so just carried on with subscription.

I hope I can never tell you how good their service is!

Mine lives on the drive also. If it was in a garage, then may not bother.

Cheers

Gerry

What flanaia1 said is almost exactly what I was told by the police after my S211 was taken last year - "trackers and CCTV are a waste of time, the trackers are easily jammed and all the crooks wear hoodies, so not likely to be recognised".

A Trilby on the parcel shelf should do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom