Trackers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Barker44

Would anyone recommend a certain tracker?

Tracker locate.
Had one fitted to mine a couple of months ago.

Means I can log on check where the car is, where it's been etc and I get a e mail every time it starts.

Barker44 said:
Would anyone recommend a certain tracker?

Don't waste.your money they are good to get your car back if a joyrider nicks it but if it is stolen by a professional thief the tracker (any make) can be disabled within 15 seconds. The technology just like command and others is long past it's sell by date

The idea is to put 2 trackers on your car. Thieves know where to look these days. When they find the first one, they think they're safe until the second one really screws them up !

Stuff trackers pretty much useless these days hence Direct Line Group are the only insurers to give a discount as they own Tracker.

moff said:
Stuff trackers pretty much useless these days hence Direct Line Group are the only insurers to give a discount as they own Tracker.

Really ?

Several companies refused to insure mine without a tracker.

This included MB insurance who i went with and are I believe an offshoot of Aviva.

Several companies refused to insure mine without a tracker.

I've just renewed my insurance and one quote said I had to have a tracker fitted, so they lost out and I went elsewhere.

Russ

If a high end car gets stolen. It normally gets hidden within 5 miles and left for a couple of days. If no one comes for the car the thieves assume no tracker fitted. ( so my copper mate says).
Yep they can be jammed or disabled but for the sake if a couple of hundred quid it gives me a possibility if the car gets nicked I can get it back.

And as a bonus if you leave it for a service, or at a air park etc you can see exactly where it's been and for how long......maybe if the mrs uses the car you won't want to know but the option is there !!!!!

Last edited:
Don't waste.your money they are good to get your car back if a joyrider nicks it but if it is stolen by a professional thief the tracker (any make) can be disabled within 15 seconds. The technology just like command and others is long past it's sell by date

Hi Flango -uve mentioned this before & I would genuinely like to know how in 15secs? ..Are you suggesting a EMF Spike on the car of some sort ?

They did own Tracker, Moff. Personally I wouldn't have a sort after car like a C63 without one . By all means some sort of security ie steering clamp can be an alternative cheaper & perhaps to some people a better alternative .

What I've seen quite alot of is insurance companies demanding a Tracker because of the value of your vehicle - otherwise they will not cover for theft .

Mercedes Benz dealerships have to fit Trackers on any demo valued £60k+ so I've been informed .

If someone wants your car so badly they will have it for sure .. Irrespective of what security you do or don't have .
South Africa still do the electrocuting door handles & seats, side sill flame throwers ... Still trying to get them imported ...at the moment finding it difficult?! (Joking).

This is true... while trackers obviously make it more difficult to steal the car, it can still be taken.

A friend whose new CL55 was stolen was told by the insurers that car thieves would park stolen cars in underground car parks or place them in metal containers to prevent the tracker signal from being picked up.

This is true... while trackers obviously make it more difficult to steal the car, it can still be taken.

A friend whose new CL55 was stolen was told by the insurers that car thieves would park stolen cars in underground car parks or place them in metal containers to prevent the tracker signal from being picked up.

Hi Markjay-

VHF signal ( Very High Frequency ) only available on Tracker Monitor & Locate can be seen in underground carparks & metal containers .

All U.K Airports, Docks also have technology to emit Hi Strength of VHF detection through container seals . Many stolen vehicle shave been recovered using this method where as GPS/Gsm have failed .

We are with Direct Line and have a tracker as they insist on it. I'd much rather never see the car again or that it was torched if it was stolen as I can't imagine it will be driven sympathetically

Welli have to get one fitted for insurance purposes and probs a good idea with it been a 58k car and brand new.

Just wondering what level to go for!!
Seems like a grey area as tracker.co.uk have 4 different choices.

Look is like it's the subscription that's a killer though :-/

The question is if you want to get back your car after it's stolen? I wouldn't.

Getting GAP insurance is cheaper and you get all money back. Cost of tracker installation and subscription will be higher than discount given by insurance company. I think I had £50 discount when I had tracker in Scirocco. Annual Tracker subscription was much more than £50.

There's plenty insurance companies that don't require tracker installation.

Often a case of no tracker, no insurance. Never mind any "discount"!

The costs are pretty insignificant alongside all the other costs of ownership. Just go with the basic offering, never mind all the extra bells 'n whistles, they all do the same basic thing.

The question is if you want to get back your car after it's stolen? I wouldn't.

Getting GAP insurance is cheaper and you get all money back. Cost of tracker installation and subscription will be higher than discount given by insurance company. I think I had £50 discount when I had tracker in Scirocco. Annual Tracker subscription was much more than £50.

There's plenty insurance companies that don't require tracker installation.

I would want mine back to be fair, unlikely a C63 would be stolen just to be thrashed around the local car park for the entertainment of the local boy racer brigade. More likely it would be stolen to order for parts etc. So stolen and hidden until it can be stripped. ( hopefully when the tracker will work)

Fair point with the gap insurance. However, you get nailed for years with higher insurance because you have had a big claim.

As usual there is never a winner if the car gets stolen........just damage limitation I suppose.:dk:

Well after a bit of shopping around I have found an insurance company (***** rating) which I don't need a tracker and saves me +200 pound.

I could either use this saving towards a tracker or pay off my gap insurance... Hmmm

Only loss is I am 2 months away from my renewal therefore probably loose this years no claims :-(

Does the insurance company you are thinking of moving to offer a 10 month "bonus accelerator" policy?

If they do then they may consider the 10 months with your current policy to be a full year - the Admiral Group used to offer exactly that to get people on to their own accelerator scheme, albeit that was some years ago.

Worth asking though.

Well after a bit of shopping around I have found an insurance company (***** rating) which I don't need a tracker and saves me +200 pound.

I could either use this saving towards a tracker or pay off my gap insurance... Hmmm

Only loss is I am 2 months away from my renewal therefore probably loose this years no claims :-(
That's tricky but you're saving £200 and a few more hundreds on tracker installation and subscription.

It's always best to research insurance before buying/ordering a car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom