Trackers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

effy37

Car
C63s saloon
I'm interested to know what GPS tracker systems guys currently recommend, ie subscription based or DIY installs.....cost etc

Is this to meet insurers requirements? If so they often are quite specific in their requirements.

If you are hoping for a reduction in premium it might be sensible to find out what they require.

NJSS

Reactions: 219
Is this to meet insurers requirements? If so they often are quite specific in their requirements.

If you are hoping for a reduction in premium it might be sensible to find out what they require.

NJSS

It's necessarily for insurance as I'm happy with the premium I'm currently paying, it's just for the theft factor, and being able to track it etc

I've had one of those TK103 trackers for last 4 years in 2 of our cars. Both worked flawlessly up until March 30th and both went offline. Subscription and SIM card are still both active so stumped why both would stop working on same day after many hassle free years

I've previously had a SmarTrack Trident tracker, worked well and couldn't fault it. If the car moved without the proximity tag i would get an immediate notification (text/call). its pretty pricey but does give you peace of mind.

Can't fault that product, many friends have had this installed also.

The above was always for insurance purposes.

If its for your peace of mind, i have had friends buy a cheap iphone with a PAYG sim. They would then hardwire it in and leave find my iPhone on. Cheap DIY set if thats all you're after.

Spend the money on the Autowatch Ghost instead and you can just look out the window to locate it :p

I have a simple TK110 GPS tracker, which I fitted five years ago - works perfectly fine, and it only takes two O2 PAYG top-ups of £15 a pop every six months - first month is free, then £3 a month data bundle.

To fit it where I wanted, I removed the plastic case, wrapped it in Tesa tape, and disabled all the silly LEDs.

The only problem is, the newly updated website and iOS app no longer display miles / mph - only km ... although they promised to implement it soon (the old versions were perfectly capable of selecting miles or kms) - will see.

Still it's free and reasonably cool:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

:cool:

One thing to note though - a GPS tracker can be disabled by a twenty quid signal jammer very easily, so whilst its novelty/amusement/gadgety value is reasonable, a serious anti-theft device it is not.

PS The tracker cost under £10 five years ago.

The Autowatch Ghost immobiliser has many excellent reviews but it is sadly not Thatcham Approved.

NJSS

The Autowatch Ghost immobiliser has many excellent reviews but it is sadly not Thatcham Approved.

NJSS

Aye I'd sleep so much better if it was Thatcham approved, if only it was like this steering lock. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Thatcham.jpg
    Thatcham.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 1
I'm interested to know what GPS tracker systems guys currently recommend, ie subscription based or DIY installs.....cost etc

Would you prefer to track your vehicle after it has been stolen and pay an annual subscription ?
or
Would you prefer to hopefully prevent your vehicle from being stolen (started) in the first place ?

I know which one I’d prefer :)

Clearly the latter.

But if violence was threatened the former might be useful too !

NJSS

Clearly the latter.

But if violence was threatened the former might be useful too !

NJSS
On a personal level if my car was ever stolen I wouldn’t want it back and that is why I wouldn’t have a tracker.

If you’re worried about violence you might as well sell the car but that’s a bit OTT unless you’ve had previous experience.

TK103 for the last 5 years or so, about £20 from ebay and a contract sim from Virgin for £5 a month. Only needed it once a couple of years ago but got the car back within half an hour and the boys in blue had an easy 2 man catch. Will probably go off line in a few years time as I think they are 2G devices which will stop when that network is gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom