Tracking a factory order - possible?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gr1nch

Car
2017 W222 S350d AMG Line Premium Plus : Iridium Silver and Black Nappa
Hello folks,

Has anyone been able to (or heard of anyone that can) track their car order directly, without having to go through the dealer?

Ideally online or failing that by talking to the Mercedes factory people? (maybe the same folk that arrange factory collections)

Got a reply from my dealer today - no go on the online tracking. They told me it takes MB about 14 hours to build a S350d,. The build is starting 16 Jan, with delivery 3rd Feb. Meaning about 2 weeks shipping from DE to UK.

I believe Mercedes is missing a beat here - would be cool differentiator if buying new to track your entire your car order at each interesting stage. The data is clearly in their systems, they just need to externalise it via, say, Mercedes Me. They could even generate extra revenue and use up stock parts by enabling customers to purchase additional items, online, right up to the cut-off points and make their customers even happier! Win-win

I can think of so many reasons why online order tracking is not a great idea from the manufacturers point of view.

I can think of so many reasons why online order tracking is not a great idea from the manufacturers point of view.

Why is my car still in paint?
Why is my car not finished?
Why is it in paint repair?
What was the damage?
I don't want my car as it was damaged, build me a new one

Intrigued, a quick google shows other car companies are doing this already, with a few enthusiasts howtos. The US folks on the forums seem extra keen on tracking made-in-Europe cars, maybe it's the thought of the container ships chugging through the Atlantic

The BMW howto says the dealer knows the VIN when the factory order is confirmed by M-B. My dealer hasn't offered me the VIN so maybe not M-B, but I'll ask them anyway.

Here's just a few I looked into, pretty cool.
* https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/track-my-order
* http://www.bmwblog.com/2009/07/14/how-to-follow-a-new-bmw-from-order-to-shipping-and-to-delivery/
* http://www.focusrs.org/forum/11-foc...our-build-status-using-vin-number.html#/enter
* http://www.fpaceforum.com/forum/jaguar-f-pace-dealers-pricing/6194-shipping-tracking.html#/

Did you get anywhere with this?

VW does a relatively basic one, showing order received, build date confirmed, getting built, left factory, at customs UK, on way to dealer...

Even that would be pretty cool to follow.. Save me feeling like pestering the dealer for updates..

Even better if you could be told individual build stages, but as mentioned it would cause them a load of grief realistically!

Did you get anywhere with this?

VW does a relatively basic one, showing order received, build date confirmed, getting built, left factory, at customs UK, on way to dealer...

Even that would be pretty cool to follow.. Save me feeling like pestering the dealer for updates..

Even better if you could be told individual build stages, but as mentioned it would cause them a load of grief realistically!
Gaz, they don't do online tracking unfortunately, but if you have your VIN (dealer recently emailed me mine 10 days prior to the car build date) then the VIN is recognised in the Mercedes Me part of the website, my car with correct model etc is added and some info is there, but it's not full tracking (yet).

Why is my car still in paint?
Why is my car not finished?
Why is it in paint repair?
What was the damage?
I don't want my car as it was damaged, build me a new one

The name on the plate isn't Germanic enough!
That man's barely out of short pants?
That man's just using automated assembly tools!

Audi do this, I started a thread about it. http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/mb-defectors-other-marques-forum/218702-your-audi.html

Our last 6 cars have been Mercedes and it was just a case of waiting for a phone call to say it's here. So when we got the email from Audi it seemed like quite a good idea. It's generic, they'll just post stage updates as it passes to each relevant production point. What's not to like about it.

Of course if you can afford a new Ferrari you get photographs of your actual car in various stages of production, from shell assembly to paint to interior installation. Unfortunately I don't have the £300k to buy a new GTC4Lusso so an Audi it is until the pound recovers some of it's lost ground against the USD.

Surely theres a similar thing we can do even to find out once its on a ship and then at least track the ship. That would be cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just one question - what would you do with the information?

Watch the progress of our new pride and joy coming along, and have a more accurate idea of arrival time... Obviously.

I suppose the level of anticipation and excitement at the prospect of the new car must be a very individual thing. Personally speaking, the C350e we just bought is the first and probably last new car I will ever buy, so it was something of an event for us. If you get a new car off the company every 2 or 3 years and have limited choices in what you get then it's probably no more interesting nor exciting than a trip to Tesco for the weekly shop.

I get the excitement and anticipation but I also get why some other folk won't.

Thats true, but surely the people who wouldnt be that bothered about a new Merc arriving, wouldnt be on a forum about them in the first place!??

Ive got a new Vito on order to replace my old 2008 one, i go everywhere in my Vito, work and pleasure, absolutely love the things. Its my first new motor and its a big treat to be ordering new as im just buying it myself privately, spec'd everything on it to suit myself- so Im like a kid waiting on Christmas!!

If I could watch a live stream of it getting built, Id be taking the day off work to watch it!! Lol. Infact, if I could, Id go and watch it being built. That would be awesome to see.

Thats true, but surely the people who wouldnt be that bothered about a new Merc arriving, wouldnt be on a forum about them in the first place!??

Ive got a new Vito on order to replace my old 2008 one, i go everywhere in my Vito, work and pleasure, absolutely love the things. Its my first new motor and its a big treat to be ordering new as im just buying it myself privately, spec'd everything on it to suit myself- so Im like a kid waiting on Christmas!!

If I could watch a live stream of it getting built, Id be taking the day off work to watch it!! Lol. Infact, if I could, Id go and watch it being built. That would be awesome to see.

Exactly that! I'm in the same situation with my car and excited as anything, like a kid with all my Christmases coming at once :) I'll be going to the factory at some point. Mercedes are missing a trick not having a full online track and watch (webcam) service for your car's build slot. It's nut's really, but a lot of new owners would love to see their actual car being constructed and track it on lorry and boat.

Hear hear. I've had to make do with the generic and sadly somewhat naff offering on YouTube of the C class build line and the short one of the HV battery pack being put into C350e bare shells. It truly would have been amazing to be able to see your own car going through the line.

I suppose folk visit forums like this for many reasons and not always because they are massive fans of the cars they drive either. I lurked while researching then joined once I'd made the decision to go with MB.

I always try to contribute something on any forum I join. Sadly, I don't think I'll be able to contribute much on here as this car is well beyond the DIY tinkering I'm usually involved in. I've built a few kit cars over the years but pretty much everything on this car requires special kit that isn't readily or cheaply available so I can't see me doing much to it, so won't be able to offer the sort of advice or experience I have on other forums. Maybe my background in electronics might be more useful ;)

It's not something that they currently offer. It's hard enough for us as dealers to track your orders [emoji23]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom