Tracking,Alternator pulley and brake bleed screws

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kenny1000

Car
2013 E220 cdi auto Sport Coupe
Changed both tie rods and ball joints and my fuel consumption increased. Had the tracking done after 1000 miles and my fuel consumption has returned. How?
While I am on here is there a tool for removing the alternator pulley as I am trying to renew mine?
What is the size of the brake bleed screws and where can I get them.
Car is a 220 CDI.
Many thanks in advance

Changed both tie rods and ball joints and my fuel consumption increased. Had the tracking done after 1000 miles and my fuel consumption has returned. How?
Simple... you have less stress on your suspension and dont have to work so hard to accelerate or reach your target speed. So you dont burn as much fuel as when your tracking/alignment was out.

Rear brake nipples 9mm. Front brake nipples 10mm. Tool for alternator free wheel pulley £32 from your dealer.

If the tracking is out the car is effectively sliding the tyre sideways across the road surface. If it's one degree out, for every sixty miles travelled the tyre has been scraped sideways one mile. Work out the extra energy, hence extra fuel, to push the tyre one mile sideways with nearly half a ton on it. That's where the poor consumption came from.

Thanks for the infomation and when I think about it makes sense about the tracking:wallbash:. Phoned the dealer and he hasn't got the tool for the alternator pulley, but he has the pulley. Any ideas where I can get one?
He hasn't got the bleed screws in either but can get them in for £20. Isn't that a bit pricey, any ideas where else I can get them. The sizes quoted are they the thread size or the spanner size?

Spanner size. Where abouts are you located because if you are close ish to me I would lend you the free wheel pulley tool.

I am up in Newcastle. There don't seem to be many members up here. Off to try and get some bits

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom