Tracking, Balancing & Airmatic Suspension

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PJayUK

Car
ML320 W163, E320 W210 & Jaguar X300-XJR6
I still have a slight rumbling noise from the offside front of my car, that is most noticeable when the car is cold. So far I have replaced the front discs and pads, had 4 new tyres fitted, the rear diff oil changed and the suspension etc checked by my local indi. Nothing was discovered, but he did experience the noise first hand which is good.

Tracking and balancing is on my list of things to try next, so as always I have a couple of questions that I am hoping for some help with.

1 Does anyone have any general advice on where to go and what to request (ie, laser tracking, dynamic balancing etc)
2 My car has Airmatic does this require any special consideration or does it need to be done at an MB friendly establishment
3 When I had the tyres replaced the the car had dropped and the Airmatic warning (too low etc etc) was on. It raised after about 10 seconds, is this normal?
4 I had Nexen N6000's fitted all round as money was a little tight. There is more road noise that the previous very cheap, very worn tyres that were on. Will they settle down and get quieter once they bed in a little?

As always any help and advice greatly appreciated

Wheels in motion did my tracking, 4 wheel alignment they have a web site very good.

I stuck the Nexens on mine all around and so far have been quite impressed as they were cheapies £76 front £97 rears.

Stick to the road well even when wet, i have tried to make the front wash out on damp roundabouts and it just goes around the corner:D

Traction cuts in sometimes on damp roads but the contis also did this and thats my fault not the car or the tyres

Dont notice any tyre noise and mines an e class so you shouldnt hear bugger all in the s class!

Lynall

So you hear absolute silence when your driving along at say 60MPH? No road noise at all?

What about in the wet?

3 When I had the tyres replaced the the car had dropped and the Airmatic warning (too low etc etc) was on. It raised after about 10 seconds, is this normal?

It looks to me as if you have a leak in the Airmatic system. I've left my car (an Airmatic fitted E Class) at an airport for close on four weeks and the car was at the right height when I came back to it. Dropping in the time it takes a fitter to change tyres indicates a problem to me.

Only wind noise with radio off , never paid any attention to whether its any noiser in the wet, otherwise just the radio.

Wonder where the tyre fitter jacked up the car, on my last disco on the 2 post ramp when lowered to the floor the rear susp would be on the bump stop, start up and would rasie back to std again, only happened when lifted on chassis, ok if jacked on axle.

If has been okay so far i wouldnt worry.

Lynall

Lynall

Last edited:
I definitely think this is road noise. I spent my whole journey in to work today (around 30 miles) with the radio off listening to my car as we traveled over country lanes, A roads and the M25. There is a very noticeable level of road noise or tyre roar that is surface dependent. On some parts of the M25 the ride is silky smooth like being transported on a conveyor. On other sections though I can hear a distinct roar from the tyres. On particularly bad sections there is even some vibration feedback through the steering wheel.

There are no issues with the cars stability or handling and as I mentioned it has been checked recently. Its just not what I expected from an SClass with Air Suspension, I thought the ride would be more cushioned from this kind of thing.

Not sure there is a fault as such and perhaps I am being overly critical but would this be considered normal? Would having the tracking help things or should I wait and see if my new tyres quieten down after a 1000 miles or so?

You may have a top mount damaged or past its best which will transmit more nise into the cabin.

The fact the car settles so quickly on the suspension would have me looking at the strut as a damaged strut and top mount are directly related.

Dave!

Pjay i actually turned the radio off whilst going through town last nigh (40 limit) and yes i can hear the tyres, but at speed it def wind noise and maybe a tiny bit of tyre noise.

I just never hear it any other time.

Lynall

Ok, maybe its just me then!

Thanks Lynall

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom