Tracking down previous car history?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

whisky120

Car
W124 260e Zender
Hi, I recently purchased a 300ce coupe and sadly the history of the car is non-existant.
Has anyone ever successfully tracked down any history of a car?
I'm thinking of asking the local garage where the car spent most of it's life.
Might try asking Mercedes if there is anything on their systems if I give them the registration.
Thanks.

Try the previous owner from the V5 for starters and work backwards. (I assume you have one)

I am not sure but someone will know ,,if a car had a few mots over it will the test centre give you the previous mls on each prev test.

I am not sure but someone will know ,,if a car had a few mots over it will the test centre give you the previous mls on each prev test.

Not 100 % certain re MOT's but I very much doubt it.

You need a V5 (registration document). If you don't have one you need to apply to DVLA for one.

Are you sure the car is legit ?

I have used the DVLA site to see the last 5 MOT's they give some insight, reasons for refusal, advisories and obviously the mileage, maybe i'll contact those testers to see if they have any additional information on the car.
I will try the previous owners too.
Cheers.

Why bother, it's a 300Ce so has probably had many owners, done a shed load of miles and had loads of repairs...but as long as it's OK, what's the issue?

I have used the DVLA site to see the last 5 MOT's they give some insight, reasons for refusal, advisories and obviously the mileage, maybe i'll contact those testers to see if they have any additional information on the car.
I will try the previous owners too.
Cheers.

Has it had many owners?

I like to know the history of my cars too, if possible. Just out of curiosity.

The things you've said above are the best things to do. The DVLA will let you have a list of all the info they have (inc. names and addresses of all previous owners) for £5. Obv. that's not necessary if it's only had 1 or 2 previous owners.

Also, mercedes customer service will let you have any info they have if you give them the VIN no. They did for me. Their email address is: [email protected]

I had to send them a scan or fax of my driving licence and the V5 in my name before they released the info, but they did answer a couple of my questions before I did that.

I was told that the Mercedes main dealers will let you have any service history they hold (if you can find out which ones have serviced the car), but they didn't even reply to my emails. Worth a try though.

Good luck.

I like to have my car with history too. In 2008, I bought a 330d BM with patchy history, a few bills but no book - it was a two owner car and I got it cheap. I noticed that there was a bill for a service in 2009 at a reasonably local BMW garage, so i gave them a ring. One visit and £10 later I had a new book and fully stamped up BMW service history with 8 stamps proving the mileage!

I sold the car after 4 months as it was freekin' awful to drive, but it made re-selling it at a profit a doddle.

I have had mixed success with tracking down history. Start with DVLA as suggested above. For £5 they will provide a photocopy of every V5 showing change of ownership from new. Check the DVLA website to download the correct form. I've written to previous owners and had some success - most are happy to have a chat on the phone - especially if they enjoyed their ownership of the car. Main dealers: if your service book has any dealer stamps after 2002, write a letter to the service manager (not e-mail!) asking politely if they will send copies of any service bills and include a SAE. They can't provide any service data before 2002 as M-B changed their computer system at that time and all previous records are archived and no longer available. Non-M-B garages, phone first, explain the situation, ask nicely and if they say they will try, write and enclose a SAE. If they do provide any receipts, phone or write to thank them. They are doing you an unpaid favour, so please always remember that. Politeness and good manners cost nothing and it's always nice if you someone helps you out and you show your appreciation. Helps the next person in line.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom