Tracking Tyre ware patterns?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ioweddie

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
AMG Line Premier Plus Estate C220d
Sorry about the spelling of Wear (fat fingers)
Ever since new my 62 reg c220 sport plus has pulled very slightly to the left. I had it checked by the supplying dealer and nothing showed up. Had it checked again same answer. Now 20k down the road my nearside tyre has obvious wear on the outer edge and the drivers side the same amount of wear but on the inside edge. Both tyres appear 90% of even wear across the tread but the edge wear is more. Is this just a case of tracking as I thought the tyres would both either ware on the outside or inside edges not one of each.

Last edited:
A slight pull left is quite normal on Mercedes.

Do you check your tyre pressures often? The NSF tyre will always wear more. There is more load on them on roundabouts.

Great thought, where I live the road I have to drive up has a really steep hairpin bend and thought the drag on the outer edge caused by this bit of road could be the reason. Its so steep the buses have to stop before it pump up the air suspension to give ground clearance then once up the hill stop again and lower the suspension again. the drivers get an extra 2 mins on their schedule.

Mine pulls to the left in the UK, to the right in France, they seem sensitive to road camber.

I have prevented front tyre wear like yours by slightly over inflating the fronts, rears wear more evenly if under inflated slightly.
(For clarity, inflated within the limits shown inside the filler cap),

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom